Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some help with prop choice

ndahlberg12

What kind of top speed are you seeing out of those props? Not that it is a huge concern, but I hate having to max out the motor to get to 32 mph while traveling up the lake to where we like to wakeboard at. Let me know which prop you decide on. Thanks

I'm seeing 35-37 top speed.

IMO you can't go wrong with either. My 1235 would not plane out fully sacd out to wakeboard speeds. Both the 948 and 2247 will.

I've only ran the 2247 one day in crappy water and surfing at 11 we were running 3400-3600 RPM. 948 was marginally higher.

Edited by ndahlberg12
  • 11 months later...
Spoiler

I have an Axis A 22 2013, with a 350.  We wake surf 90 % of the time.   We like to rde with ballast full  2x 750 in the back, not sure what is in the front and center but I think around 800 total. and plus factory ballast. Additionally, we like to add more fat sacks to the rider side and in the bow.... I would like to upgrade the prop.  can  some one please suggest the best prop?  Thank you

Uninformed but eager to learn lake lover 

shawndoggy,  We dont have the high altitude I know that , and I it is a 3 blade.  How can find out for sure?  I am going to look at the prop.  BRB

330 HP , 5.7 liter  CNC Nibral 4 blade. and it is high altitude 14.25x 14.5
this was  on the bill of sale

Edited by catherine
On August 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM, cptotr said:

I have noticed on my t23 that since I added 900's in the locker and the 650 bow sac that my rpm's run around 4200 while surfing at around 11 mph. We had 4 people in the boat and no wedge down. I also have the high altitude prop which is listed on my paperwork as 145 x 1425-1235 prop, as that is what the dealer strongly suggested I go with. I tried to pull a wakeboarder with this setup and could not get past 12.5 mph. I even put two people in the bow and it still would not plane out. I had to dump 2/3 of the water out before it would attempt to plane. I can't even get the boat to plane out with the bags full and not pulling anyone. I read about some of you guys going to a more aggressive prop, but I hate to go too much more as my top speed is already down to 31 mph and I have to travel quite a ways up the lake to find good waters to wakeboard at. Do you guys have any suggestions? Dealer told me when I bought it that I should be running 38 mph with that setup and would be able to handle the additional weight of the sacs. That has got me wondering if something is wrong? I am at 360' above sea level.

Exact same experience with 330 hp and 1235 at sea level, difference for me using a20 where smaller boat will do 38-41 at 5000+ rpm.  For me I need 2419 for '14.

but I only need that rarely as I don't wakeboard like that but I want to invite those who do, and I want an even more stupid surf wave by adding people fir ballast,. Surf speed was 9.0-9.3 and less for 3850 rated inc full fuel, wedge snd 7 people with 3 in nose. For my usual driver and surfer only is ideal cause wife also slaloms and 1235 with stock  ballast and wedge and 4 to 7 people is damn good and was very poppy for a very good boarder and my wife loves the stock and wedge set up as a beginner on wakeboard and for this overall approach I love my fuel consumption.

Edited by granddaddy55
On July 10, 2015 at 2:08 AM, That Guy said:

We are at around 900' and will be at Norris Lake which is about 1000'. What are you at? Just curious for comparison. Yes, I went 900's in the rear and modified the rear drains to move the bags to the back. 650lb bow bag under the seats and the I have 750lb rectangle sack and tsunami pump from my old boat I plan to always bring in case I need more weight somewhere because of a light crew. Will be sure to update the thread with info and pics.

I need to run my drains long forward and loop back to back of lockers, wakemakers said do if that way and out a 90 quick to come to the drain face in back of locker. I went short and that is putting the drain where it crimps the back of that bag and crimps the short drain line up slowing gravity drain.  the 50x20x20 straight line that was 750 is now rated 850, the new black and green bag

I run the 2419 prop on my 2014 T22.  For running fairly heavy weight, it seemed to be the best for surf speeds and my fuel economy has greatly improved since I swapped it with the 5 blade that came on it.  I was running close to 3800 RPMs surfing and now run pretty close to 3100 with the same setup.  We run 750's in rear locker front bag under seat (unsure of weight) plus wedge down and 500 lbs of lead spread through out boat.  We can also run full ballast (no wedge) for wakeboarding.  It won't plane for wake boarding with wedge down without additional weight up front.

• Like 1

Are any of ya'll concerned about the extra forces on the engine/transmission? Anyone got a word from Monsoon on this? With airplanes we want the high RPMs when under load. Use the analogy to a bicycle- You want to be in a tiny gear peddling fast when going up a hill. If you put it in a big gear, it can get too hard to pedal up the hill, even though the rotation is slower, and that much force eventually does bad stuff to the engine. 

19 minutes ago, Claire1000 said:

Are any of ya'll concerned about the extra forces on the engine/transmission? Anyone got a word from Monsoon on this? With airplanes we want the high RPMs when under load. Use the analogy to a bicycle- You want to be in a tiny gear peddling fast when going up a hill. If you put it in a big gear, it can get too hard to pedal up the hill, even though the rotation is slower, and that much force eventually does bad stuff to the engine. 

this is one of the best tmc prop discussions that i've seen to date (props to enginenut): www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39176-dont-kill-your-engine/?hl=enginenut

FYI- for those that don't know, you can change the angle on more complex airplane props as well as control the rpms. We talk a lot about various combos to make sure we don't hurt the engines. Too low RPMs (more pitch angle) with a high manifold pressure is bad.