Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torsion Axel failure- What are the options?

something inside the axle breaks and the arm thing gets stuck in the upright position, jamming the wheel into the fender.

Probably a reason to not weld it, if it is broken inside.

edit: I would ask UFP about welding before i went ahead and welded it.

Edited by Chia

Dalt - are you wearing crocs in that pic??

Yep but at least i put long pants on over my shorts. Remember I was on the road to vacation just an hour before this. At least they were my steel toed crocks! That's my story. Wasn't about to burn up my Sperrys!

• Like 4

something inside the axle breaks and the arm thing gets stuck in the upright position, jamming the wheel into the fender.

Probably a reason to not weld it, if it is broken inside.

edit: I would ask UFP about welding before i went ahead and welded it.

Dennis @ UFP suggested welding it to me and saved my vacation.

Just got word from the boat shop. The mechanic said the spindle could be adjusted. He didn't think the axle had failed. He was able to get it back mostly normal and now the tire has 2 inches of clearance instead of rubbing. While the other side of the trailer has 6 inches of clearance.

Still seems like something must've failed to cause the original issue, maybe the spindle stripped and failed. Maybe the axles on its way out to.

I guess it will do for now and super thankful that we can get it to the lake. But I'm going to look a lot more into it when I can. I don't want to be right back to where we are after one trip.

Just got word from the boat shop. The mechanic said the spindle could be adjusted. He didn't think the axle had failed. He was able to get it back mostly normal and now the tire has 2 inches of clearance instead of rubbing. While the other side of the trailer has 6 inches of clearance.

Still seems like something must've failed to cause the original issue, maybe the spindle stripped and failed. Maybe the axles on its way out to.

I guess it will do for now and super thankful that we can get it to the lake. But I'm going to look a lot more into it when I can. I don't want to be right back to where we are after one trip.

Yes, it can be adjusted...but NO, your mechanic is wrong. Spindle is probably OK, but the torsion bar DID FAIL. If you didn't weld it it'll do it again...

Edited by formulaben

I'd be careful even after adjusting, after you drive over uneven surface (like going into a parking lot or out of some kind of incline) that will require the torsion part of the axle to return the wheel to have clearance, the wheel might not return back with that 2" of clearance and start rubbing. I replaced both my axles back on my 2009 boat. Both failed within a year and UFP shipped new axles both times with 10 days to my house. Welding seems like a temp option though.

Edited by AJWest

Just as you guys had predicted, the trailer wheel sunk back down overnight. The "adjustment" didn't fix anything. We talked them into welding it for now. New axles ordered for replacement when we can get it done.

Edited by Air Tahoe

Just as you guys had predicted, the trailer wheel sunk back down overnight. The "adjustment" didn't fix anything. We talked them into welding it for now. New axles ordered for replacement when we can get it done.

That will work fine till new ones are installed. I drove over 400 miles on mine like that.

• 3 years later...

I'm in same boat....pun intended.....on my 25LSV trailer.  Been a nightmare trying to get shops around here to get it repaired.  One will work with UFP on warranty but doesn't have time to do the repair and the other will not try to get warrantied by UFP.  

Question for those who have had replacement axles - I'm assuming they just send the beam and you use your old spindle arm set up?  

Edited by ccsandy
6 hours ago, ccsandy said:

I'm in same boat....pun intended.....on my 25LSV trailer.  Been a nightmare trying to get shops around here to get it repaired.  One will work with UFP on warranty but doesn't have time to do the repair and the other will not try to get warrantied by UFP.  

Question for those who have had replacement axles - I'm assuming they just send the beam and you use your old spindle arm set up?  

Yes you will only get the axle. I was lucky and the UFP plant is 50 miles from me so just went and picked mine up. They were about 6 years old and they still full warranted them. Cost me some gas and time in truck and paint to spray raw axles. Installed them myself.

7 hours ago, ccsandy said:

My local trailer shop got mine warrantied on my 07 in 2018, 11 years later. But there are also lots of reports on here of people dealing direct with UFP. Get them shipped to you and find some one to R&R.

Edited by Sparky450

I just had an axle replaced on my 14 LSV. Street side front tire wearing on the inside told the tale. 

I ordered a new axle from BoatMate. Had them paint it. Axle and shipping was close to $500. Swapping everything from the old axle and installation was about $300 from a local guy. 

I didn't even ask about warranty. Dealer wanted close to $2k to do the repair and said they have 3 other boats in right now with bent axles. 

Pretty sure that the axles on my trailer are rated at 3700 pounds. Boat and trailer going down the road are right at 7000 pounds. Even with tongue weight that isn’t a lot of room for error. 

15 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

My local trailer shop got mine warrantied on my 07 in 2018, 11 years later. But there are also lots of reports on here of people dealing direct with UFP. Get them shipped to you and find some one to R&R.

I actually got a hold of someone at Dexter and they are still going to warranty my 02 trailer - ship direct to me and I'll just do the switchout myself.  Not sure why my local shops have made this such a difficult process.  I remember I had tried to call Dexter a few years back with no answer and no return of my phone call so maybe I got lucky they picked up.

• Like 2