Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's responsible for sinking my boat?

Stick

What about people who do not do any maintenance on there boat? Or have any clue about how a boat works? There are a lot of them out there, they pay the dealers top dollar to take care of there boat maintenance. Should the owner be held accountable if the dealer fails to perform a maintenance item correctly? I don't think they should, that is why they are paying the dealership. Not that is not a bad idea to double check items, but a large majority of the public does not do any work on there own boat.

Plug removal isn't maintenance, it is a state of being. If the dealer had took the plug out without a note and the op launched and sunk it, would that be their fault?

• Like 4

I believe he mentioned it was documented on his service order that they removed the drain plug, so yes, if he took out the boat and it sunk it would be his fault. In this case they never removed it and documented on the service order it had been removed for winterization. There has to be some accountability on the dealer for this, it is in writing.

Edited by Fman

I believe he mentioned it was documented on his service order that they removed the drain plug, so yes, if he took out the boat and it sunk it would be his fault. In this case they never removed it and documented on the service order it had been removed for winterization. There has to be some accountability on the dealer for this, it is in writing.

totally agree. It's the passage of time that makes it the OP's word against theirs. If the biblical flood had come 10 days after the service, I'd think the OP would have a much greater likelihood of recovery from the dealer. But 18 months later? Man, I just don't know.

Yea its a tough call either way, but I would love to hear his dealer step up and say yea we messed up... and will help you take care of this problem that ultimately they had there hands on last time he picked up the boat. This would have been avoided if they actually performed the service he paid for and they documented was completed. I mean, do you HAVE to use your boat the next season after a winterization is performed by a dealer? My question would be does it specify in writing its only good for one winter and then must be used or brought back to dealer following year for another winterization.

I guess it comes down to if you think it is a winterization issue or a storage issue. I wouldn't store a boat I cared about in my yard unless it was shrink-wrapped.

Edited by oldjeep

Dealer could have gone out of business over that kinda time period. Probably be a good project boat now for someone.

quick edit: Did you think the battery's would still be fully charged?

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.

As a general rule for all boat owners. I think it all comes down to, the owner NEEDS to know weather the plugs are in or not. If you don't know how, you need to learn. I would never trust anyone else's word on if they put the plug in or not, especially when it literally takes half a second to look at.

On the mold issue. I had a family members tige that flooded on the trailer. It was a 2001 with wood stringers. It had full on mushrooms growing on the carpet. But after a full detail, pressure wash, flush, etc, it looked back to normal and ran great from then on. It really takes a deep cleaning. Also, let it dry out in the sun. Find someone with a hot water pressure washer.

Also 303 protectant won't clean the mold, you need the vinyl cleaner and a good brush. Take your time. Don't worry about the gelcoat and fiber glass, mold is easy to clean off. I would replace the carpet though, since people stand on it and kids crawl over it. Hopefully the water wasn't filled over the seat cushions.

This board is a tough crowd. Op, it's not the problem, it's how you handle the problem. Hopefully lesson learned and you get insurance or the dealer to help you out. I know first hand the best learning experiences are the ones that cost you money. Or maybe those are just the mistakes I don't make twice?

The true culprit here is lack of battery maintenance. If it had been charged, the automatic pump would have kept the water out. But the mold would still happen due to the high humidity.

A big fan is the best way to dry everything out. Sunshine helps, but moving the air is what gets all the corners dry.

I might give a company like Servo Pro a call. They know how to handle mold and get your boat dry. Then you could deal with the mechanical stuff via the dealer. I am serious about this. My buddy just bought a Serve Pro franchise, and I talked to him and he could take care of the mold stuff and has the equipment to get the boat dried out completely.

Then again, being in Texas and all, the Servo Pro type companies are probably slammed right now.

I dying to hear what your insurance company says.

It's been interesting seeing everyone's comments, especially the "I'm 100% responsible" ones.

As I look at it, if the dealership would have accurately performed the service I'd paid for and if they would have done what they documented (drain plug is out) then I flat out wouldn't be here.

Now, there's no doubt I have culpability in that I didn't check their work and I didn't look under the cover since the Fall of 2013. But I don't see how that makes me 100% responsible, but some responsibility is mine. Had the drain plug been out, none of this would have happened. I paid them to winterize the boat which is documented that the plug should have been out.

Many people have stated how do you prove you didn't put the plug back in.....I can't. All I can say is they told me they would have pulled the T-handle plug in front of the engine and for me to put it back in, I would have to remove the cover and get in the boat which I obviously didn't do.

I look forward to more discussion on this and hope for a positive end result and the ability to use my boat for the first time in ~ 3 years and hope my daughter remembers how to board.

Seems to me, at the end of the day, based on what you said, the dealer was clearly negligent, but the fact remains, you can't PROVE it. IMHO given the elapsed time you will have to move on. Trust me, I'd be spewing too but sometimes s*** just happens.

Get that insurance claim in ....

Good luck !

Be careful saying the insurance will cover it. Insurance is to cover sudden and accidental things. Cover leaked over a period of time. Each time it leaked that could be a claim and a deductible. Be very careful what you tell the adjuster. If you tell him the boat was sitting for 2 years that would be a red flag. I would call my agent first and talk to him. Just my thoughts as an insurance agent.

Whaaaa??

I would NEVER trust a dealer that much till I can put my own eyes on their work at least once.

Ultimately I'm responsible for my boat, period.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat someone taking responsibility. Say it ain't so.

I couldn't agree more.

A huge red flag to me on this whole deal is it's sitting outside for 2 years and he never looked in it. Who does that?

What about people who do not do any maintenance on there boat? Or have any clue about how a boat works? There are a lot of them out there, they pay the dealers top dollar to take care of there boat maintenance. Should the owner be held accountable if the dealer fails to perform a maintenance item correctly? I don't think they should, that is why they are paying the dealership. Not that is not a bad idea to double check items, but a large majority of the public does not do any work on there own boat.

Google it, ask question at the dealership, ask other boaters. People are more than willing to help.

• Like 1

^^^ this makes no sense...my point is there are owners out there that don't want to know how this stuff works. They could care less, pay $80k for a boat and just want to use it and rely on there dealer to take care of the maintenance correctly.

^^^ this makes no sense...my point is there are owners out there that don't want to know how this stuff works. They could care less, pay $80k for a boat and just want to use it and rely on there dealer to take care of the maintenance correctly.

I bet if he would have given it to the dealer for proper long term storage this wouldn't have happened.

Again, I feel horrible for the situation, but when you store a boat outside for two years...stuff happens.

I don't understand how people rely on dealers who could care less about your boat.

And keep in mind it's not like he took it from the dealer to the lake. He parked it outside for 2 years.

I don't understand how people rely on dealers who could care less about your boat.

And keep in mind it's not like he took it from the dealer to the lake. He parked it outside for 2 years.

Many people have the (arguably unreasonable) expectation that if they spend as much or more on a boat as they did on their fully loaded 2015 crew cab diesel truck that the dealers and repair experiences of each should be the same. Fancy truck has an issue, you drop it off at dealer and well trained tech takes care of it in a day or two max. Fancy boat has an issue experience should be the same, right?

Problem being... it just don't work that way in the real world at most dealers. First issue is time... car dealers have a steady flow of repair work, whereas boat dealers have significant dead time, bookended by insanely busy periods. So there's an issue of training (whether your boat repair guy has any/enough), and an issue of capacity (can your dealer possibly get you in within a reasonable time frame). I've gotta think all dealers sacrifice training/experience for capacity, especially for the repetitive work (winterization/"summerization" -- whatever that means/oil changes).

We, the enthusiasts, know this, and plan our dealer visits accordingly (and try to do what we can ourselves). But do Joe and Sally Wally know that? They just want to pull tubes and drink pinot grigio with friends on their G. On the sales end, no dealer is going to tell a new boat buyer "hey, the service experience may suck and it's definitely not going to be what you'd expect if you just bought a $100k car."

Maybe I'm just jaded because I live in a small city with a short season where the water is an hour away minimum and even getting an issue water tested can take weeks on weeks.

I think your fault. Mostly for having an inadequate cover for what you were intending it to do. Leaving it for that length of time outside and not checking it, shows your intent of it performing perfectly. If you had a good enough cover, plug in, it still would have been a dry boat.

Woodshed

I think your fault. Mostly for having an inadequate cover for what you were intending it to do. Leaving it for that length of time outside and not checking it, shows your intent of it performing perfectly. If you had a good enough cover, plug in, it still would have been a dry boat.

Woodshed

I am not sure where the OP lives in Texas, but

the rain this last May was biblical. One night we got six inches of rain in two hours. That much that fast could easily flood a boat with a good cover and no plugs.

I am not sure where the OP lives in Texas, but

the rain this last May was biblical. One night we got six inches of rain in two hours. That much that fast could easily flood a boat with a good cover and no plugs.

I suppose, wouldn't there be hundreds of these stories similar to this from that area then? Maybe there has been, I don't know.

Woodshed

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Edited by Woodshed