Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm ordering a 2015 f150 Monday, help please!

MIKEnNC

The main advantage to having these ratings is to compare towing specs between manufacturers. The problem with them is assuming everyone is towing in the same conditions. My F-150 is more than enough for the towing that I do in Georgia, but if I was towing down the steep grade on I-70 into Denver in 6 inches of snow it would definitely not be enough truck.

You make a very valid point. I still think there is some CYA component to all of the rating business as well. The ratings as specified must take into consideration all matters of risk or the automakers open themselves to more lawsuits. Further, anyone interested in taking a guess as to how many of those employed by the automakers actually follow the rating spec???? Living in the motor city and knowing LOTS of people who work for automakers, I can assure you, many of them care less about the ratings as long as they get their toys where they need to get them.

So tell us Soon? What is it that you contributed to the dialog other than you thought tongue weight while towing was static? What a joke.

I'm making a point of this childish behavior by you and the other butt hurt 1/2 ton owners who before this didn't know the facts, and too pridefull to accept where things are. So attack the guy who tells you?

Ignorance at its best right here. Thinking you know when you don't, then insult and attack when you are told. Clown show.

I'm not going to speak for any other brands, but the Ram 1/2 ton in my config, under J2807, is rated for 10,160 with no WDH requirement (recommended, but not required). Yes, my current HITCH is rated for 5k, but I could put a class IV on with a 12,000# capacity for $160.

A rig hitting bumps and bouncing never changes the weight. Sure there's more force on the tongue when hitting bumps than being at a standstill. But those FORCES have been built into calculations for recommended safe tongue WEIGHT which is most limited by the hitch unless is a class IV.

• Like 2

85 that's correct.

However you get into an accident without a WDH over 5k, you did not follow MANF recommendations for safe towing. You cant equivocate or rationalize your way out of this.

You or your lawyer can make that argument of required vs recommended... but in the end you'd not be IAW with MANF recommendations for safe SAE rated towing like the rest of us. but you have smaller skiboats boats anyhow right? what boat do you have that's over 5k?

Ryan you have been beating this liability drum a lot. And I assume it's because you know of some actual instances in the real world where someone has been held liable. Can you please share those cases?

• Like 1

I've posted up websites of liability lawyers before chasing commercial trucks overloaded for damages go search for yourself.

so let me understand this... we all, including me, suck again because we tow overloaded, Between boat weights increasing, SAE ratings decreasing, we are not in compliance..... many of you think you know WTF you are talking about with tow ratings and you don't. That's clear, look at how many folks are NOT towing in compliance. Your 3/4T isn't even in compliance Shawn. Next I am waiting for someone with suspension helpers or airbags to make their case.

So we don't want to hear any of this, facts suck, so we tell Ryan to STFU. Got it. Plug your ears and keep your heads in the sand fellas, you're good.

Why have I been beating this drum? last summer had a fairly significant trailer failure on a 1500mile tow trip due to towing at 100%+ of the trailer capacity. Major PITA that could have been avoided had I been a better informed consumer. Not a truck overloaded issue, but a trailer failure...but its all related.

So I'll be done here in this thread. Cheers to ignorance.

85 that's correct.

However you get into an accident without a WDH over 5k, you did not follow MANF recommendations for safe towing. You cant equivocate or rationalize your way out of this.

You or your lawyer can make that argument of required vs recommended... but in the end you'd not be IAW with MANF recommendations for safe SAE rated towing like the rest of us. but you have smaller skiboats boats anyhow right? what boat do you have that's over 5k?

I can only speak to my state, so I'm not speaking to yours or anyone else's, but in mine, and under MY towing circumstances, it won't matter. If I cause an accident, I'm negligent, whether I did or didn't use a WDH. I'm not required to use it. I don't get off the hook any easier by having used one and I'm not "more" on the hook by not.

During the time I've had this truck I've owned boats that would be over 5,000 lbs with gear. Currently I'm under :) .

Edited by 85 Barefoot

85- call your insurance company right now and ask them specifically:

1. "Will you cover all damages if I am negligent in an accident, and I was NOT towing IAW MANF recommendations?"

2. "Can you deny me coverage for damages if I am negligent and was NOT towing IAW MANF recommendations vs requirements?" lol.

Seriously, make the call and report back.

But honestly, the $$$ is only part of it, I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone hurt.

1. "Will you cover all damages if I am negligent in an accident, and I was NOT towing IAW MANF recommendations?"

2. "Can you deny me coverage for damages if I am negligent and was NOT towing IAW MANF recommendations vs requirements?" lol.

But honestly, the $$$ is only part of it, I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone hurt.

Ryan, negligence is EXACTLY WHY everyone is required to have insurance. OF COURSE insurance will cover negligence. That is what it is for. Now if your liability exceeds the limits of your policy, and you have deep pockets, you can have personal exposure. But this idea that somehow my insurance company would deny a claim because I'm 1000 lbs over on towing capacity but would cover a claim where I injure someone driving drunk defies all logic (and public policy).

I've posted up websites of liability lawyers before chasing commercial trucks overloaded for damages go search for yourself.

so let me understand this... we all, including me, suck again because we tow overloaded, Between boat weights increasing, SAE ratings decreasing, we are not in compliance..... many of you think you know WTF you are talking about with tow ratings and you don't. That's clear, look at how many folks are NOT towing in compliance. Your 3/4T isn't even in compliance Shawn. Next I am waiting for someone with suspension helpers or airbags to make their case.

So we don't want to hear any of this, facts suck, so we tell Ryan to STFU. Got it. Plug your ears and keep your heads in the sand fellas, you're good.

Why have I been beating this drum? last summer had a fairly significant trailer failure on a 1500mile tow trip due to towing at 100%+ of the trailer capacity. Major PITA that could have been avoided had I been a better informed consumer. Not a truck overloaded issue, but a trailer failure...but its all related.

So I'll be done here in this thread. Cheers to ignorance.

No one has said anything remotely close to that. I completely agree that people should be informed of their rigs' limitations. The "drumbeat" has been that anyone towing a wakeboat over 5000#s without a WDH is exceeding their limitations, which is just not true (for all anyway).

You have painted in blanket statements that towing more than 5k in a half ton is overloaded and if you're overloaded you void your insurance coverage. That MAY be true for some people, it MAY not be. You have raised the prospect that people need to examine the issue for themselves, which is commendable. No one has asked you to "STFU". People have simply responded with questions as to your logic. If you're so confident in the accuracy of your positions, across the entire country, in every tow rig, in every situation, keep it going.

I don't need to call anyone. I know the answers. But those answers are for MY state, MY policy, MY knowledge, and MY use. I'm glad people are looking into these issues themselves, which is what they should be. These are great questions for people to ask but the answers are dependent on a number of factors.

I don't want anyone to get hurt either. But 1/2 ton or 1 ton, WDH or not, if you cause an accident, you cause an accident. I (and the motoring public aroudn me) am at no more risk on my tows to cause an accident without a WDH. Is that the same for everyone? No. Do some rigs require a WDH to be safe at all, perhaps. I don't know. What I do know is that I don't know it all, I know what applies to me.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Here is the information from my owners manual and factory installed hitch.

Owners Manual - Max Trailer = 9500 pounds (6.2L, 3.43)

Owners Manual - Max Tongue = 800 pounds

Hitch - Max Trailer = 12,000 pounds, Max Tongue = 1200 pounds.

So my limiting factor is the OM ratings, since they are lower than the hitch capability.

My 21 LSV is 3500 pounds + 1200 trailer = 4700 + 1000 stuff = 5700. 10% Tongue = 570.

I am well below my weight limit and my tongue limit.

Anyone have an idea on the weight for a tandem Boatmate? I guessed at 2000 pounds.

Updated based on That Guy -

Edited by Soon2BV

Here is the information from my owners manual and factory installed hitch.

Owners Manual - Max Trailer = 9500 pounds (6.2L, 3.43)

Owners Manual - Max Tongue = 800 pounds

Hitch - Max Trailer = 12,000 pounds, Max Tongue = 1200 pounds.

So my limiting factor is the OM ratings, since they are lower than the hitch capability.

My 21 LSV is 3500 pounds + 1200 trailer = 4700 + 1000 stuff = 5700. 10% Tongue = 570.

I am well below my weight limit and my tongue limit.

Anyone have an idea on the weight for a tandem Boatmate? I guessed at 2000 pounds.

Updated based on That Guy -

I bet your tow hitch is only rated to 12k lbs. with a weight distributing hitch.

Go crawl under your rig and look at that hitch. I bet it has a sticker like I found on my '13 F150 EcoBoost.

Return and report!

20150503_170632_zpsbzymmdoe.jpg

So u r using a 13 ecoboost to tow your Lsv? Do u feel comfortable with that based on all this ratings discussion?

I think the majority of boat owners would say that the 13 ecoboost is more than enough to tow the LSV and does it quite well.

So u r using a 13 ecoboost to tow your Lsv? Do u feel comfortable with that based on all this ratings discussion?

Tricky question... yes, I feel comfortable with my F150; it's twice the tow rig my Denali ever was. I just towed thr LSV to Shasta and back, over some serious grades... the EcoBoost crushes the hills!

However, I do NOT feel comfortable knowing I'm out of spec, no matter how rediculous I think that spec is.

This pic taken this morning as I pulled the boat up the dirt ramp at Siverthorn

20150619_084502_zpsrzcgdr0e.jpg

• Like 3

Tricky question... yes, I feel comfortable with my F150; it's twice the tow rig my Denali ever was. I just towed thr LSV to Shasta and back, over some serious grades... the EcoBoost crushes the hills!

However, I do NOT feel comfortable knowing I'm out of spec, no matter how rediculous I think that spec is.

This pic taken this morning as I pulled the boat up the dirt ramp at Siverthorn20150619_084502_zpsrzcgdr0e.jpg

Nice setup man, are those 20x9 fuel mavericks or 20x10? What kind and size tire also if u don't mind sharing

This pic taken this morning as I pulled the boat up the dirt ramp at Siverthorn

20150619_084502_zpsrzcgdr0e.jpg

That's a nice looking set up.