Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kite tubes banned on my lake!

Souperfly

Hey Dan,

This has got to be pretty similar to what you want. The guy is probably doing 40 and he's got the handle around his neck.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....&cmd=si&img=834

Me and my buddies used to do "kneck holds". A really nice guy that we met at a tournament fell doing this at a tournament in Colorado. It killed him.... Cry.gif

We don't do this anymore.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aneal000

• UWSkier

• VinRLX

• jshap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Dan,

This has got to be pretty similar to what you want. The guy is probably doing 40 and he's got the handle around his neck.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....&cmd=si&img=834

Me and my buddies used to do "kneck holds". A really nice guy that we met at a tournament fell doing this at a tournament in Colorado. It killed him.... Cry.gif

We don't do this anymore.

I was playing around on the boom once, can't remember exactly what I was doing but we had a 5' rope on and I thinkI was going back and forth from the boom to the handle, but at some point the handle kicked up and landed laso style around my neck. I calmly and quickly removed it... I think TomSawyer was driving if I remember correctly... Was like, huh, that could of been real bad if I had caught a toe.

the handle kicked up and landed laso style around my neck. I calmly and quickly removed it... I think TomSawyer was driving if I remember correctly... Was like, huh, that could of been real bad if I had caught a toe.

Shocking.gif That would scare the mustard out of me.

I put the handle around my neck once, while boarding, for some laughs. My girlfriend chewed me out so bad and I realized what could have gone wrong and I've never done it since.

I've also put the handle in my mouth while on double skis. (that was a long time ago)

Edited by Pistol Pete

Yeah, I've done the teeth hold as well, on a slalom. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but it seems not nearly the danger of the neck hold while footin.

we have the manta ray from memory the instructions were that the tube was only to be towed at 15 mph(yeh right)which isn't enough speed to get them airborn, i wonder if that is enough to stop the manufacturers from being liable

Is the manta Ray more controllable than the Kite Tube?

The manta ray is definately more stable than the kite tube but you can still have some damn good crashes ,my daughters boyfriend can fly for ages without crashing he says he controls it with his legs . Surprised.gif

We could all do these things when we were 18 years old and still under warranty.

The problem is that some of us continue these antics after our warranties expire, which can cause US to expire.

Excellent point. When Michael was younger he could stop a speeding bullet. No longer bullet-proof, he can't even stop a slow moving Sportster. Tease2.gif

Excellent point. When Michael was younger he could stop a speeding bullet. No longer bullet-proof, he can't even stop a slow moving Sportster. Tease2.gif
Mad.gif Keep it up, Mr. Off. Bash.gif

Quick FYI, I noticed that Bart's Water Sports and Overtons will no longer sell the Wego Kite Tube. Temporary?????? don't know. Coincidence????????? maybe.........maybe not.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get something else for my guests coming over for the holiday. (read sarcasim)

Quick FYI, I noticed that Bart's Water Sports and Overtons will no longer sell the Wego Kite Tube.

Really? I got one of these magazines in the mail a week ago and guess what was plastered all over the front cover? I was surprised to say the least. I can't remember which "mail order" it was but I only get a few from the main guys so it had to be one of them.

It's all over the front of Overton's latest rag.

I finally understand the WEGO part of the name. For the longest time i've thought, that has to be the dumbest name. On the side of the tube is says " SPORTSTUFF Away WEGO KITING".

I watched a kid land about 2 ft. away from my neighbors pier this weekend. He was behind a wave runner at full throttle ~15 ft. in the air when the wind shifted and caused the tube to dump him....hard. The cove I live in is just wide enough for one boat to make a pass with one wakeboarder or skier. Yet, they were doing this with 5-6 other boats cruising through. Of course, they were also jumping off their top deck and swimming during a severe storm on Saturday with violent lightning. A home up the lake actually had it's chimney blown out of the house when it was hit!

Fortunately (unfortunately?...jk), none of them were hurt.

Just cause it's on the catalogs doesn't mean they'll sell them. Of course that was the intent when the catalog went to print, but with recent events??? Sounds like a few retailers jumping off the liability train.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a death toll or serious injury count as a result of these tubes handy? I was talking with my local dealer this weekend about how dangerous the things were and they didn't seem to know about all the problems that have been occurring. I told him about the bans on Western lakes and all, but I don't think it sunk in.

I spoke to the first person I know that has one on my lake over the week end and he told me he perferated his ear drum on his first time out. I told him what I've heard abouth them and he thought most if it sounded overblown. This guy rents them.

We saw one at our lake in KY for the first time. We followed it for a while, but the driver never went above 20mph and the tube never left the water. The kid on the tube kept trying to pull up on the front to get it airborne, but no luck at that speed. I guess they are safe at that speed, but I doubt many folks use them like that.

From the Missouri State Water Patrol website...

NEWS RELEASE

PUBLIC INFORMATION SECTION, P.O. Box 1368, Jefferson City, MO 65102

For further information contact: Sergeant Ralph L. Bledsoe

Public Information Director

Phone: (573) 751-3333

E-mail: [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jefferson City

Corps' Little Rock District Bans Kite Tubing on Missouri Waters

Little Rock, Arkansas, July 3, 2006 - Effective immediately, the US Army Corps of Engineers' Little Rock District is banning kite tubing on all waters under the jurisdiction in Arkansas and Missouri. Kite tubing is a new form of extreme water sport that emerged this year. Reports and news accounts from multiple states cite injuries and at least two deaths resulting from this new activity.

District Engineer Colonel Wally Walters implemented the temporary ban at least through the remainder of this recreational season, and it will remain in affect until the safety of this activity can be better assured. The ban could become permanent. "This product is described by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission as extremely dangerous and has already caused two deaths and numerous injuries," Walters said. "Until this product can be better designed for control and stability, and until proper training can be established, it is my judgement that the hazards and potential liabilities of allowing kite tubing on public waters outweigh the benefits of unrestricted use."

Kite Tubes are large inflatable waterborne devices with a solid fabric floor bottom. As the tube is pulled forward from underneath, the front of the tube is lifted into the air. As speed increases, the entire tube is lifted into the air like a kite with the rider on top. The lack of lateral stability and controls often results in the tube overturning or throwing the rider. The Corps' Tulsa District banned kite tubing from its lakes last week, citing the potential for serious injury caused by uncontrolled flight of these devices. "Many kite tubing injuries are the direct result of the tubes reaching heights of 20 to 30 feet at tow speeds of 25 miles per hour and then rolling into an uncontrollable dive," a Tulsa District news released stated. "These dives can reach speeds in excess of 50 miles per hour with passengers receiving serious injuries from the impact."

The National Park Service also has banned kite tubing from its Glen Canyon National Recreation area after four persons had to be air lifted to hospitals in three weeks. The Park service reported three of the victims had life threatening injuries. The Park Service's safety alert noted "all victims were using the kite tubes as directed when they suddenly lifted to dangerous heights, became unstable, and plunged down to the water surface. The injuries seen are consistent with deceleration impact events that cause internal trauma. Victims have reported coughing up blood, torn muscles, whiplash type injuries, broken ribs, punctured lungs and cervical fractures.

Little Rock District lakes in Arkansas and Missouri where the ban is now in effect include Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals, Norfork, Clearwater, Greers Ferry, Nimrod, Blue Mountain, Millwood, Dierks, DeQueen and Gillham, as well as the Arkansas River in Arkansas.

From the Missouri State Water Patrol website...

District Engineer Colonel Wally Walters implemented the temporary ban at least through the remainder of this recreational season,

When I first started reading this, I thought it must be a joke - someone named Wally announcing the ban on tubing activity !!!!!! But - I checked out the website, and it is legit. Gave me a good laugh, tho. :lol:

"Many kite tubing injuries are the direct result of the tubes reaching heights of 20 to 30 feet at tow speeds of 25 miles per hour and then rolling into an uncontrollable dive," a Tulsa District news released stated. "These dives can reach speeds in excess of 50 miles per hour with passengers receiving serious injuries from the impact.

Ok, now I'd like to know the source of these guesstimates. . .

A.) I don't think 25 MPH is the speed these freaks were towing.

B.) Were any of them wearing GPS on the way down, providing the 50 MPH figure?

C'mon. Let's get the crap straight before we form the lynch mob. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My Overton's showed up today...

Guess what is on the top of the first page of "towables"?

Wego Kite Tube! Dang, I'd be a little peeved to spend $499 plus S&H to find out it was banned on my waterways!

You know this is one of the first times I'm gonna side with the Missouri State Water Patrol - Way to go guys! Sincere Thank-You.

My Overton's showed up today...

Guess what is on the top of the first page of "towables"?

Wego Kite Tube! Dang, I'd be a little peeved to spend $499 plus S&H to find out it was banned on my waterways!

You know this is one of the first times I'm gonna side with the Missouri State Water Patrol - Way to go guys! Sincere Thank-You.

but i noticed that if you go to their website and look at the wego, it says "unable to ship at this time"

i wonder if that means they are waiting to see how all this plays out, before they end up doing a lot of returns (and before anyway asks, i was looking for a water trampoline for the kids, not a death tube).