Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown Engine / Exhaust ? Please Help

It doesn't necessarily "melt" like candle wax.

The bearings end up getting scorched, and it scores the journals and ends up out of round and sometimes broken bearings. The screws/compressor blades don't necessarily come apart. (If it did, then the motor really WOULD be toast.)

exactly what happened bearings melted/locked up engine stopped.

for a quick sec (about 1-sec) i thought the throttle went haywire and then it stopped, and she spewed smoke.

I get it.

$85k for the monster of the lake. You bought a bad B, you thought it was broken in, prepped and ready to go - you should be able to come outta the parking lot sideways with smoke boiling off the rear tires, so to speak.

damn strait

I know it will make some happy here soooo i DO realize i'm an Idiot newbie! :rockon:

Upgraded from a 1991 MC prostar 190, ... ol bayliner...ol searay....various others..

First NEW and NICE boat ever... I've launched boats every year without any issues, always had them serviced, putzed around then cruise and WOT...never any issues perhaps i've been more fortunate than others. Only had engine heat issues 2X which were mid-season while pulling tubers when the above boats all had a terribly loud a** siren that went off and thankfully because i was paying attention to other boaters and my tubers on a busy a** lake which IMO is far more important than watching the temp gauge (some may disagree).. So i've learned the hard way this year...

I think i've realized why so many on here reading are angry! yea all those cheap a** ol boats all had more engine warnings than these 60-150k malibus! but i guess these Bu's are engineered so well they dont need them like cheaper boats do, or perhaps Bu owners are so much smarter they dont need em! yea its ok i'm pissed as well my 85k boat doesnt have an audible or engine block alarm. Hey maybe i'll wire one into the 12 speakers so when wifey is driving the whole lake will hear the alarm including me behind the boat surfing!.. Every boat ive ever driven my entire life has had such things so pardon me i "assumed" this expensive a** beast would as well. My Bad i know i'm a tard newbie with an expensive boat. :woot:

OH s***!!! that reminds me the wifey went out for an oil change and test drive a new Tahoe to pull the boat with. I need to call her ASAP and remind her that if she buys the Tahoe to make sure she looks under the hood and checks all the connections. Oh and i'll remind her she has to drive through town because shes shouldn't open it up on the highway just yet, and i'll inform her to watch the engine temp gauge the whole way home instead of setting her radio channels.

if she doesnt trade in the car I'll remind her to pop her hood and check after the oil change as well.

i also didnt realize how lucky i got when i forgot to mow the grass the first time this season in turtle mode... :lol:

Edited by The Hulk

Those of you past the blame game.... here are a few Q's

attached photo of the path i took from boat ramp to when she blew near destination.

Questions.

i did read the manual and there should have been a warning on malivew screen.

1. Do these warnings NOT overide other screen views?

2. Do these warnings NOT orveride media input views? - possibly a problem as i was checking out a cam input for a bit.

3. If pandora is being streamed via BT would that have any affect on a warning not showing.

4. if the above is the case is there any way to wire into the boat that if not in correct view or in media view that ANY warning could be wired or trigger an audible warning siren or something? If the above is the case i think this is a design flaw IMO. Seeming how i've only had about 10 mins to play with the system i cant answer the above...

thanks..

post-28204-0-92417800-1433112598_thumb.j

Edited by The Hulk

I know it will make some happy here soooo i DO realize i'm an Idiot newbie! :rockon:

Upgraded from a 1991 MC prostar 190, ... ol bayliner...ol searay....various others..

First NEW and NICE boat ever... I've launched boats every year without any issues, always had them serviced, putzed around then cruise and WOT...never any issues perhaps i've been more fortunate than others. Only had engine heat issues 2X which were mid-season while pulling tubers when the above boats all had a terribly loud a** siren that went off and thankfully because i was paying attention to other boaters and my tubers on a busy a** lake which IMO is far more important than watching the temp gauge (some may disagree).. So i've learned the hard way this year...

I think i've realized why so many on here reading are angry! yea all those cheap a** ol boats all had more engine warnings than these 60-150k malibus! but i guess these Bu's are engineered so well they dont need them like cheaper boats do, or perhaps Bu owners are so much smarter they dont need em! yea its ok i'm pissed as well my 85k boat doesnt have an audible or engine block alarm. Hey maybe i'll wire one into the 12 speakers so when wifey is driving the whole lake will hear the alarm including me behind the boat surfing!.. Every boat ive ever driven my entire life has had such things so pardon me i "assumed" this expensive a** beast would as well. My Bad i know i'm a tard newbie with an expensive boat. :woot:

OH s***!!! that reminds me the wifey went out for an oil change and test drive a new Tahoe to pull the boat with. I need to call her ASAP and remind her that if she buys the Tahoe to make sure she looks under the hood and checks all the connections. Oh and i'll remind her she has to drive through town because shes shouldn't open it up on the highway just yet, and i'll inform her to watch the engine temp gauge the whole way home instead of setting her radio channels.

if she doesnt trade in the car I'll remind her to pop her hood and check after the oil change as well.

i also didnt realize how lucky i got when i forgot to mow the grass the first time this season in turtle mode... :lol:

Check the tow rating on that Tahoe (sticker on the hitch, not what's in the brochure) before signing that paperwork ;) Edited by DAI

^^^^love this.

I love it too..... Further proof the OP thinks of his boat like a car and a lawnmower.

Continue on doin what your doin hulk. Good luck to you. I don't think your a bad person but more of a negligent person. I know I came of as harsh and a real jerk but I never thought you were listening to what we were saying. I figured you might get the point if I pushed.

I teach high school autmotives for a living. One of my students has had 4 crashes in a year and a half of driving. Totaled 2 cars.... You know he claims None of those were his fault..... The last one where he wrapped his G-paws car around a tree he said it wasn't his fault because there were pine needles on the road......

Anyway olive branch extended.... I am a tech if you have any questions about what the service dep. is doing with your boat feel free to bounce them off me.

Good luck.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Continue on doin what your doin hulk. Good luck to you. I don't think your a bad person but more of a negligent person.

*you're

:D

*poke*

*poke*

*prod*

That's a great pic of your path. Legend and everything!

And tells quite a different story that the original post....

Launched boat, drove around idle for few mins then WOT, backed down for a min then WOT for 30 seconds then she went....

• Like 1

i was referring to the last leg/stretch after going through last channel.

i would have thought any warning would have happened well before the last stretch, of WOT back down WOT..

Edited by The Hulk

At the end of the day it's Hulk's boat and he can drive it however he wants. He paid the money.

Chances are what happened probably would have happened whether he decided to go WOT or not. Like I said I know from experience with no raw water source it takes less than a minute to melt your muffler at 25mph. If he has closed cooling no alarm would go off because his block never actually got that hot because it was full of coolant.

Yes you should be able to trust that your dealer has your boat "ready to go" but most of us know someone whose dealer told them the boat was "ready to go" only to find out the boat WASN'T ready to go.

The point is, despite what the dealer says, the boat isn't ready to go until the captain of the vessel checks everything and says it is ready to go. Those of us who have been in or heard of someone in Hulk's situation know this.

You still can't fault Hulk. His dealer said his boat was good to go so he did what most people would do. I mean it's 555HP! He's been waiting all winter to drive this thing! He's a red blooded male! He's got 555HP at his fingertips! I would have done the same but the only difference is after going through my 'oops' moment I would not take the dealers word for it and I would have checked everything myself first. Even then things happen.

Hulk, you aren't the first to have this happen and you definetly won't be the last. Get your boat fixed, learn how everything is supposed to be hooked up and check over everything yourself, and then go do some WOT runs with that 555HP LSA for me!

ahopkins22LSV

And tells quite a different story that the original post....

Yeah... If that hose was off that entire time I don't think he would have made it all the way. Looks quite a few miles.

I wonder if it actually did pop off. As hard as that is for me to believe.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

100% was not connected from the get go,

without the LSA inner cooled engine your right... NO way to make it that far.

i do recall coming out of the first long channel and when i was putting the tower back up looking back and thinking to myself that the exhaust bubbling up off the back of the boat seemed like a lot to the point i was thinking surely i will need to get one of the exhaust tubes for surfing. its seemed a lot denser or heavier than when i pulled off the trailer and was idling out. I was thinking well its probably worse than my friends MXZ because i have the LSA and no surf exhaust pipe. Little did i know the exhaust system was boiling hot.

Perhaps Professor LBJ can chime in and answer WHY these expensive boats don't need the protective features that cheap boats do? or is it to ensure your students continue to have work post grad?

LBJ- you'll be happy to know i will inform the wife she is neglectful for not checking the wheel lugs on her car after the tire rotation at the shop. jk jk..

On a serious note: I'd like to see if i can get help to the real questions about the maliview and the warnings moving forward to understand how the system works: i was playing with the screen views and buttons during the trip, like my 2yr old in a Best Buy... . i would have surely at some point like to believe i should have seen a big warning on the screen (as shown in the user manual) but have since learned without the hose you are SOL.

So if possible lets drop the bashing and see if anyone can answer the following so i myself and including others can understand the system and how the warnings may or may Not work in different scenarios.

1. Do these warnings NOT overide other screen views?

2. Do these warnings NOT orveride media input views? - possibly a problem as i was checking out a cam input for a bit.

3. If pandora is being streamed via BT /media view, would that have any affect on a warning not showing.

4. if the above is the case is there any way to wire into the boat that if not in correct view or in media view that ANY warning could be wired or trigger an audible warning siren or something?

I can tell you on my 2011, if any warnings do pop up, they appear over ANY screen I am currently locked into. Should note, I also don't play around with the settings screen while the boat is in gear, so maybe this is where we differ.

Edited by saxton15

the screen warnings override anything on the screen. There are warnings for several things including voltage, depth (which you set) ENGINE temperature, wedge alert(s) of various varieties, oil pressure, and on and on.

You have yet to confirm you have closed cooling but if your engine was saved and you never saw a warning, you probably do. This is a very simple question for your dealer (or just take a picture for us). In the event you do, your engine never overheated if you saw no alarm. The water temp, which you continue to refer to, has absolutely nothing do with this. You have now on several occasions referred to the potential that your engine temp was off because no water was circulating. That is ONLY correct if you DON'T have closed cooling. If you do, your engine temp was correct.

As I've said before, I certainly see your persepective on its seaworthiness when you dropped her in the first time. However, all I've tried to say is that its is never seaworthy until you look it over. Especially the first run of the year. If you don't have the background and experience to do this, I'd suggest you ask your dealer for this education. It will take you less than five minutes and this entire episode could have been avoided. Did you know to before last weekend? Unfortunately not. Do you now? Hopefully so. Comparing your boat to a new tahoe, unfortunately, is suggesting to me that you're still not recognizing there is a tremendous difference. Your perspective makes me concerned that you're going to be the kind of user that tows tubes from the tower, creating stress cracks, and then comparing that to your wife's new tahoe's tow hitch, saying it didn't bend the frame when you overloaded it, or complaining about a bent prop comparing it to hitting a pot hole. I hope that's not the case but you have come up with several arguments that what happened is in some way a design problem or an alarm malfucntion problem. Its not. It's simply a user error problem that fortunately your dealer "caused" so they're stepping up to the plate.

I hope you have a great summer and that next year you have a better start to the season.

• Like 3

the screen warnings override anything on the screen. There are warnings for several things including voltage, depth (which you set) ENGINE temperature, wedge alert(s) of various varieties, oil pressure, and on and on.

You have yet to confirm you have closed cooling but if your engine was saved and you never saw a warning, you probably do. This is a very simple question for your dealer (or just take a picture for us). In the event you do, your engine never overheated if you saw no alarm. The water temp, which you continue to refer to, has absolutely nothing do with this. You have now on several occasions referred to the potential that your engine temp was off because no water was circulating. That is ONLY correct if you DON'T have closed cooling. If you do, your engine temp was correct.

As I've said before, I certainly see your persepective on its seaworthiness when you dropped her in the first time. However, all I've tried to say is that its is never seaworthy until you look it over. Especially the first run of the year. If you don't have the background and experience to do this, I'd suggest you ask your dealer for this education. It will take you less than five minutes and this entire episode could have been avoided. Did you know to before last weekend? Unfortunately not. Do you now? Hopefully so. Comparing your boat to a new tahoe, unfortunately, is suggesting to me that you're still not recognizing there is a tremendous difference. Your perspective makes me concerned that you're going to be the kind of user that tows tubes from the tower, creating stress cracks, and then comparing that to your wife's new tahoe's tow hitch, saying it didn't bend the frame when you overloaded it, or complaining about a bent prop comparing it to hitting a pot hole. I hope that's not the case but you have come up with several arguments that what happened is in some way a design problem or an alarm malfucntion problem. Its not. It's simply a user error problem that fortunately your dealer "caused" so they're stepping up to the plate.

I hope you have a great summer and that next year you have a better start to the season.

This absolutely cracks me up.

I like how you put "caused" in quotes as if there is some debate about it. Even the dealer admitted they caused it and apologized and they are doing the right thing.

Hulk is not some negligent user. In fact, he probably reflects 95% of Malibu customer base.

I also don't think 5 minutes is enough to understand the inner workings of a supercharged engine if you have no foundation of knowledge. IMO, those 5 minutes would have been better spent by the dealer connecting a hose.

Edited by DocPhil

Hulk if you think that small time seasonal businesses (i.e. boat dealers) pay and train their mechanincs like car dealers do, or that boats are built as well as kias and hyundais, you are in for a lot of disappointment. Boat dealers have a huge peak season from about two weeks before memorial day right up to when the first freeze happens. And then they are pretty much dead. Real mechanics (i.e. talented ones) are not going to gravitate toward boat repair because it's so seasonal. So even the biggest, best dealers have one, maybe two real year-round "mechanics" (and often that's the guy with so little going on that he just doesn't have the ambition to go elsewhere), and then some random seasonal summer grease monkeys.

Boats are just fiberglass bathtubs that the manufacturers stick a pre-built powertrain into. Aside from the electronics that come with the engine itself, these are NOT particularly sophisticated products. They are built by relatively low paid folks in tennessee, not by robots, and not by UAW members.

If your infinitely better built car has a problem, you can generally pull over and call for help. Not allways so with a boat. Srsly man, if you spent like 10% of the time that you have on here worrying about more power, different props, crazy sensors, etc etc just getting to know how your boat works (especially the cooling system -- which you are still calling "inter cooled" -- which relates only to cooling the air that goes into the motor to make it denser and has NOTHING AT ALL to do with how your boat is cooled) you are going to be way better off. You would be highly highly skeptical of the engine being "mostly cooled by oil" and you'd also really want to know how your uncooled transmission faired after those WOT runs.

Or maybe not and you can just lash out at people. It really doesn't matter if you own a 100K boat or a 10K boat... the captain's responsibilities (yours) for keeping friends and family safe are the same.

• Like 1

I also don't think 5 minutes is enough to understand the inner workings of a supercharged engine if you have no foundation of knowledge. IMO, those 5 minutes would have been better spent by the dealer connecting a hose.

Good grief. He's said "I'm hulk the engineer" on here like 50 times. If an engineer doesn't have a "foundation of knowledge" who would. Seems like not figuring out something as straightforward as a cooling system when you are an engineer is borderline moronic. Especially after the boat has catastrophically overheated!

• Like 3

^^^^This. I remember having warnings and it always got my attention

This absolutely cracks me up.

I like how you put "caused" in quotes as if there is some debate about it. Even the dealer admitted they caused it and apologized and they are doing the right thing.

Hulk is not some negligent user. In fact, he probably reflects 95% of Malibu customer base.

Glad I could provide some humor.

I quoted "caused" because they did. Point is, people working on, driving, using, etc this boat will "cause" all kinds of things. It's the responsibility of the captain to recognize them and fix. This could include anything from checking drain plugs to correcting wedge settings. Why is this particular issue any different from him missing a fire extinguisher or sufficient life jackets and saying "well, the dealer said just drop 'er in!"? There is no difference. My point has never been to blame Hulk, my point is that I think he needs an education so something like this doesn't happen again. I've said like 5 times I totally understand his perspective. It's where he goes from here that I'm trying to steer him in the correct direction: get an education and know what to look for.

I've owned probably 14 malibus, correct crafts and mastercrafts (singular). I've never once, and no one I'm around, would ever drop in for the first time of the year without spending at least five minutes going over the cooling system and fluids. The difference between me and Hulk is that I knew to do those things. He didn't. And I don't fault him for that but I do think its NOW his responsibility to get that education and look things over going forward.

5 minutes refers not to understanding the inner workings of a supercharger, it refers to a five minute look over before heading out in the lake.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

So if he needs an education and he is asking for it then help him.

I'd be happy to. He needs to provide pictures. The cooling plumbs on these boats are not always identical. I can, however (as ANYONE owning an inboard should be able to do), identify on any boat, the intake, the transmission cooler, the raw water pump, a heat exchanger, the circ pump, the thermostat, the hoses to the manifold, the muffler, etc., in addition to any other unique parts on the boat. The specific order of these things can vary. So, that's why I've suggested he ask his dealer who can show him all of this AMONG OTHER THINGS. It's not as if its JUST the cooling system that anyone should have some familiarity with. Everyone should know where all fuses are, be able to identify the fuel pump, identify the main bus, breakers, ECM, and ALL ballast fill lines which may require shut off in an emergency ballast breach. To me, these are like 101 items that no one should be on the water without being able to identify and INSPECT prior to launch.

yes i fully agree and yes i'm fully aware of not pulling tubers from tower! although there are quite a few i see doing this on the lake, my neighbor being one of them until i informed him about it, and they looked shocked nobody had told them not to do that with their new axis boat.

comparing to a tahoe is just for humor, and posing questions on the aspect of "why not have extra protective features". I mean after all cars/boats do have some of the same engines...