Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown Engine / Exhaust ? Please Help

Wouldn't a leak down and/or compression test be a good idea as well?

@hulk, a single 1250 is probably to much for a single 3/4 outlet. (thinking in terms of ballast pumps where anything over 800gpm goes to 1" or bigger outlet) So unless your 750 is on a 1" outlet it would be best to install another 750 and add another 3/4" thru-hull.

I think so. Even if they say they will charge you for it, I'd still insist on at least the compression test. Everything just happened and can be compared against the benchmark, which was just minutes ago before it was run. I'm guessing they did the basics (including compression check) while prepping it for sale, so might as well do it again now for comparison.

I think so. Even if they say they will charge you for it, I'd still insist on at least the compression test. Everything just happened and can be compared against the benchmark, which was just minutes ago before it was run. I'm guessing they did the basics (including compression check) while prepping it for sale, so might as well do it again now for comparison.

I seriously doubt that they did a compression check on a trade in with under 40 hours.

• Like 2

Don't know what temp was. Other than smokey steamy boiling hotr.. as the manual states temperature reading is from the water.. no water no temp reading...that's acurate at least... i was so sick and pissed I just sat on the front of the boat with my head between my legs for a half hour until someone came buy and asked me for a tow...

What was the temp when you were cruising around? The ENGINE temp.

Ha appreciate all the advice. Yes I'll check on valves head gasket etc..hopefully they do ss well. Surely I will inspect this ever time in the future but first boat of this complexity for me.. I'm use to the old school engines with a lot less going on and or to check.. I'm going to remain hopeful at this point Nearly any shop would have mechanic or shop insurance for such things as well to protect themselves From such mishaps. I unDer stand mistakes happen Just sucks first big purchase first day out and a load of ppl waiting on shore on a holiday weekend waiting for the first ride just never made it to the dock haha.

On another note does anyone or has anyone upgraded to the 1259gph bilge seems the 750 is weak? Also Seems where the back bilge is is not at lowest point when sitting still. Seems up near the middle of the boat hatch is where front ballast pump is. Has anyone also installed a second bilge pump here?

There isn't any more to check on a new school engine. The basics are still the same and no more complicated. Check the oil, watch your engine temperature, and for the first run of the season especially, check your hoses. I completely understand that you're saying you never would have EXPECTED a hose to have not been connected, but these are first run of the year things for everyone. Hate to see you learn that in such a hard way. However, I'm still optimistic if you have closed cooling that the engine is fine.

The problem is you didn't KNOW to do it, which is quite unfortunate and preventable.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 3

I seriously doubt that they did a compression check on a trade in with under 40 hours.

Not really comparing against any previous tests, just a good couple of tests that I would want done on my 30k engine to diagnose its current health along with replacing the obvious after such an event.

Do we all get under the car and check tightness of the oil filter, pull the dipstick and verify it's full, etc. before driving off from a service? Lesson learned for sure going forward but not all boaters are "all knowing" freaks like most of us here. If the story is true and a technician said it was good to drop in the water and go and then this happened, then the dealer carries much if not all the responsibility IMO. The trick is getting the technician or who ever to own up to that statement in front of management, which the OP may be beyond that point now.

good luck hulk!!

Not really comparing against any previous tests, just a good couple of tests that I would want done on my 30k engine to diagnose its current health along with replacing the obvious after such an event.

Do we all get under the car and check tightness of the oil filter, pull the dipstick and verify it's full, etc. before driving off from a service? Lesson learned for sure going forward but not all boaters are "all knowing" freaks like most of us here. If the story is true and a technician said it was good to drop in the water and go and then this happened, then the dealer carries much if not all the responsibility IMO. The trick is getting the technician or who ever to own up to that statement in front of management, which the OP may be beyond that point now.

good luck hulk!!

No we don't get under our cars to check those things. However, the manual actually does address this. Obviously there was a communication problem. Hulk thought the boat was ready to go and it obviously wasn't. I can definitely see his perspective. But unfortunately it sounds like he wasn't paying attention to a lot of things everyone should the first outing of the season like engine temps, watching for leaks, and just general observation before running it at WOT on the first day out. Tough, tough day if there is an engine problem. I'm still optimistic there's not IF he has closed cooling. But given thus far Hulk can't say what the engine temp was, makes me concerned that other warnings may have been missed.

• Like 1

good luck hulk!!

Boating does not equate to driving a car Nate. Actually in my book its a little more like flying an airplane then it is driving a car. A problem on the water can be a dangerous situation. Cars can be pushed over to the side of the road......boats not so much.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 1

It's pretty piss poor that we expect absolutely NOTHING from a boat dealer that just sold you an 85K boat.

To the contrary, much IS expected of dealers. In my opinion, it starts with education on the boat, what to watch for, how to inspect things, things that can go wrong, etc. A dealer isn't a nanny, but it is reasonable to expect the provision of basic instructions.

Of course, I'm assuming hulk didn't get it. Maybe he did and just dind't follow it due to excitement, which is understandable, but unfortunately might be expensive here.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

To the contrary, much IS expected of dealers. In my opinion, it starts with education on the boat, what to watch for, how to inspect things, things that can go wrong, etc. A dealer isn't a nanny, but it is reasonable to expect the provision of basic instructions.

Of course, I'm assuming hulk didn't get it. Maybe he did and just dind't follow it due to excitement, which is understandable, but unfortunately might be expensive here.

Seems like a "hey buddy, you might want to reconnect that hose before you fire it up this coming year" would have been in order.

Not, "just reconnect the battery".

• Like 2

I respectfully disagree Doc.

I am very experienced with engines, I made a career out of it. I have worked on my own boats from day one. I am very careful when I work on my boat.

Given this I still check everything over before I drop the boat in, still run the boat on the trailer and check it over again, and I also will state that I check the bilge about 5x when we are on the water.

Guess what? Even with this I still have had one mishap (old boat) where a flyhigh quick connect didn't get installed correctly and blew off dumping 750 lbs of water into the locker.

So I don't care if the dealership technicians poop golden wrenches, I am going to check that boat. It would take 5 minutes to have found that hose. 5 minutes to pull a ballast bag and a panel.

• Like 2

Seems like a "hey buddy, you might want to reconnect that hose before you fire it up this coming year" would have been in order.

To me, its way more than that. It's "we need to talk about some things on your boat. First of all, the first time you go run your boat, you need to be checking and watching many things. Lets start with what you need to watch religiously, especially your first time out like your engine temperature and if your boat is taking on water. If your boat is taking on water, shut it down. Water should never be entering your boat. If it is, something very wrong is happening so lets look at the places that could be occurring....you should also have a basic tool kit on your boat that includes a 7/16" nut driver, the most common hardware on your boat....lets talk about how your engine is cooled....and on and on.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 3

I respectfully disagree Doc.

I am very experienced with engines, I made a career out of it. I have worked on my own boats from day one. I am very careful when I work on my boat.

Given this I still check everything over before I drop the boat in, still run the boat on the trailer and check it over again, and I also will state that I check the bilge about 5x when we are on the water.

Guess what? Even with this I still have had one mishap (old boat) where a flyhigh quick connect didn't get installed correctly and blew off dumping 750 lbs of water into the locker.

So I don't care if the dealership technicians poop golden wrenches, I am going to check that boat. It would take 5 minutes to have found that hose. 5 minutes to pull a ballast bag and a panel.

Exactly....

You work with engines. You know what you are doing and what you are looking for. Not everyone does.

Expecting a dealer to run the boat over with you and let you know what you need to do in the summer when you put it in the water is minimal and is a dealer's responsibility. Even 85 agrees on that.

I agree that after you have the boat at home and have run it a few times, then it is on you. But to disconnect a hose and not tell the customer that just picked up his "new" boat is absurd

I went out with Bianchini on his first trip of the year and he ran the boat on the trailer. He found a hose clamp that was mostly tightened but needed just that little extra turn to be a good seal.

Like I say SOP for first run of the season.

Considering many dealers have less than stellar young mechanics. I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 2

I went out with Bianchini on his first trip of the year and he ran the boat on the trailer. He found a hose clamp that was mostly tightened but needed just that little extra turn to be a good seal.

Like I say SOP for first run of the season.

A loose hose is different from purposely disconnecting something and not letting the customer know

Considering many dealers have less than stellar young mechanics. I wouldn't bet on it.

That is where I differ from most apparently. When I drop 100K on a boat, I expect my dealer to tell me everything I need to do....maybe twice. I don't expect them to say here ya go! Just connect the battery and you are on your way. With hoses disconnected.

And if they do forget, I expect them to pay for the damages resultant from them not informing me.

However, we all know I'm a pain in the a** customer that expects too much so....whatever

• Like 3

I believe Pistol Pete has the correct tag line.

Never been around V-drives much, don't ever plan on it either. But for all the boats I'm in, I still check that there are no leaks when go out, all year long. Seen too many main hoses pop off. Even touch manifolds to make sure they are cool.

Maybe it's harder to see on V-drives.

• Like 2

Exactly....

You work with engines. You know what you are doing and what you are looking for. Not everyone does.

Expecting a dealer to run the boat over with you and let you know what you need to do in the summer when you put it in the water is minimal and is a dealer's responsibility. Even 85 agrees on that.

I agree that after you have the boat at home and have run it a few times, then it is on you. But to disconnect a hose and not tell the customer that just picked up his "new" boat is absurd

Thats not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that I don't even trust myself. Sure it may be easier for me but that doesn't matter.What I am saying everyone had better take some time and learn their boat. Especially the cooling system. After all what are you going to do when something happens on the water? Are you going to know what to do? Do people even realize the purpose of those ball valves is to be able to shut off the water flow if a hose bursts? Do you all carry anchors even if you don't need one according the state (state of Oregon doesn't require one!)

"If your going own a boat, you'd better be a mechanic" -The wise words of our beloved Pistol Pete

I just cannot believe a hose would have been intentionally disconnected. Loose maybe. Thinking to my own winterizing procedure, there is no way I would even remotely let a hose remain loose.

"Reconnect the battery" is the de-winterizing procedure I got for my jetskis. Hard to understand how a dealer would say that to you for a boat.

Thats not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that I don't even trust myself. Sure it may be easier for me but that doesn't matter.What I am saying everyone had better take some time and learn their boat. Especially the cooling system. After all what are you going to do when something happens on the water? Are you going to know what to do? Do people even realize the purpose of those ball valves is to be able to shut off the water flow if a hose bursts? Do you all carry anchors even if you don't need one according the state (state of Oregon doesn't require one!)

"If your going own a boat, you'd better be a mechanic" -The wise words of our beloved Pistol Pete

I agree with you there and I have spent the last 3 years diligently studying every boat I have owned.

However, where we differ is in the placement of blame in this case.

I blame the dealer for not instructing Hulk on the boat and the removed hose.

I just cannot believe a hose would have been intentionally disconnected. Loose maybe. Thinking to my own winterizing procedure, there is no way I would even remotely let a hose remain loose.

"Reconnect the battery" is the de-winterizing procedure I got for my jetskis. Hard to understand how a dealer would say that to you for a boat.

If you knew the dealer, you would believe it

Pretty common actually. I have heard that Malibu ships brand new boats with hoses disconnected.

But ya usually the steering wheel is tagged.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

The one thing that stands out to me is the fact there was anti-freeze spilled. The antifreeze is in the closed loop side of the engine, doesn't need winterized or drained. You only need to open the raw water side to get the water out. Why did they open the antifreeze side of the system? If they did and that is the hose that was left off, 1. someone didn't have a clue on winterizing that LSA, 2. you might have drained the engine/SC of antifreeze.

If the engine is closed cooled, you should have had a reading on the temp gauge, if there was antifreeze in it. IF they did drain it, you might have a serious issue at hand. And while I don't blame people for leaving certain hoses off for the winter, opening and leaving a closes loop hose off is negligence. You need to take as many pictures of how that engine sits right now before they start reconnecting things.