Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown Engine / Exhaust ? Please Help

I had a project like that once... The stories were way too involved and not enough bourbon to make me tell them all anyway. I actually just sold it off last fall after 15-16 years of... well, a lot of money and a lot of internals. ha
My current builds are all very mild. I'm done sinking that kind of cash on motors. There will always be someone bigger and badder on the dyno and someone willing to push it harder on the track. I've found that 400-500 whp makes for a nice commute to work and so that's where I stay.

I'd be interested in knowing about the last version that put down four digits though. Big single on a small block must have had very interesting street manners. But that can be for another day if you like.

Wasn't really anything to special about it really. 88mm GT42 stuffing a 347 with a big heads/cam and all that. 4L80E trans. Never really worked all the kinks out. Went high 10s @140 without the anti-lag on pump gas. 7psi of boost. I was working on getting it all to the ground but never with much effort. Went 123 in the 1/8th once. Best quarter mph was 145. I think it had 160+ in it but like I said I never really tried to put it all together.

Crowning moment was when the car went 10.8 @143 with the 5 speed and 275/40/17 Nitto DRs. Won $750 that night. It was a tire specific class. 16" wheels and bigger. That was 2004 I think.

The lsa is not a closed cool engine the engine and exhaust mainfolds are cooled by lake water same as a monsoon is cooled the intercooler for the supercharger is cooled by antifreeze and has a small heat exchanger to cool that antifreeze. The water comes in from the lake goes through the vdrive then to transcooler then to raw water pump the hose pictured disconnected the hose from the transcooler to the pump it goes to the suction side of the pump

sorry only pic i have now till i get back to the boat, sun went down.. i'll make a video as well.

The lsa is not a closed cool engine the engine and exhaust mainfolds are cooled by lake water same as a monsoon is cooled the intercooler for the supercharger is cooled by antifreeze and has a small heat exchanger to cool that antifreeze. The water comes in from the lake goes through the vdrive then to transcooler then to raw water pump the hose pictured disconnected the hose from the transcooler to the pump it goes to the suction side of the pump

Check out the pic of the OPs engine though.....

Check out the pic of the OPs engine though.....

Hulk's pics don't contravert kdavis's post do they? I mean hulk's pic does show a single coolant reservoir, but that could be for the supercharger only, with raw water passing through the block?

My mistake I didn't read his whole post.

Ok then explain why the engine survived and the supercharger didn't?

oil cooling, duh! Try to keep up LBJ!

• Like 2

According to Indmar, the 572 is not offered as closed cooling.

"The 6.2L Monsoon 572 SS CAT is also equipped with oil-spray piston cooling " - See more at: http://www.indmar.com/Engine/malibu/Monsoon572SS.aspx#sthash.223bUypP.dpuf

If the dealer says it is all OK, I would get it in writing. Then drive the piss out of it, so when it blows you can get a new engine. :)

• Like 2

Well I will try.. might be hard with a newborn to get as many hrs on it as normal.. need to upload a video of engine when I get to a computer

this would appear correct from looking at it and my "limited" knowledge of what everything is under the hatch..

• 2 weeks later...

Boats working again,

engine sounds pretty good, still hit about 52mph (from dash) with light load.

Surf exhaust still pretty bad, wish i knew what "normal" exhaust is but guessing from the surf exhaust pipes being the new norm i'm guessing those come with good reason.

Runs about 2100rpm at 9.6-9.8mph with factory ballast, twin 550s in lockers, and 1000 sac on the floor and 6 or so people.

post-28204-0-80783600-1435347115_thumb.j

post-28204-0-06646300-1435347325_thumb.j

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 2

Boats working again,

engine sounds pretty good, still hit about 52mph (from dash) with light load.

Surf exhaust still pretty bad, wish i knew what "normal" exhaust is but guessing from the surf exhaust pipes being the new norm i'm guessing those come with good reason.

Runs about 2100rpm at 9.6-9.8mph with factory ballast, twin 550s in lockers, and 1000 sac on the floor and 6 or so people.

Glad it runs. You might want to check your speed with your phone GPS. 52mph would be impressive, unless the super charger really helps that much. Every barefooter would be switching to an LSV :)

• Like 2

Yea I know it's probably a bit less I'll try a GPS this weekend. Few ppl and full tank and gear drops down under 50... dash reading at least. I have yet to break out the skiand give it a try in the 30s but surfing so much more fun lately

My x30 tops out at 51 with the 7.4 so I bet it is correct

You might want to look into a fresh air exhaust hulk. I know the emissions on the LSA are not the best

Edited by DocPhil
  • 4 weeks later...