Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown Engine / Exhaust ? Please Help

Just to add further confusion

This picture of an 8.1L with half closed cooling looks an awful lot like the hose and cooler placement in hulks picture. So I dunno, seems like the cooler would be suction side since the other side seems to be going to a heat exchanger - but who knows ;)

4587963.jpg?439

Edited by oldjeep

You very well may be right. However, that hose is clearly going to the tranny cooler shown in the other picture (the one disconnected). Which would mean the tranny cooler is pre-pump and that the output of the tranny cooler is then being turned ANOTHER 180 degrees to be sent sternward again to get to the pump. I can't fathom that's how they would have done it but without laying eyes on it I'm only willing to theorize, especially since I've never looked at an LSA.

Just to add further confusion

This picture of an 8.1L with half closed cooling looks an awful lot like the hose and cooler placement in hulks picture. So I dunno ;)

4587963.jpg?439

I don't follow you. You're saying you suspect on hulks boat its raw -> v drive -> tranny -> impeller?

I do note that the intake and output side of the pump hoses are the rough internally wired kind

Hulk, one picture would clarify all this!

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I don't follow you. You're saying you suspect its raw -> v drive -> tranny -> impeller?

I do note that the intake and output side of the pump hoses are the rough internally wired kind

I'm saying that from that picture I can't even tell what the flow direction would be. The bottom hose on the raw water pump should be the inlet (if it is like my pump), which would mean it is sucking through that cooler wouldn't it?

Hopefully Hulk will take some video of his engine once he gets it back just to satisfy my curiosity of how in the world it is plumbed.

Edited by oldjeep

In order for there to be no water in the bilge, that hose has to be before the impeller. Which in my world means nothing was getting cooled.

Hulk you need to inspect the v drive and tranny as well. Try to get a look at the fluid before they change it, I imagine it is cooked. Start the conversation about those items now.

• Like 3

I'm saying that from that picture I can't even tell what the flow direction would be. The bottom hose on the raw water pump should be the inlet (if it is like my pump), which would mean it is sucking through that cooler wouldn't it?

Hopefully Hulk will take some video of his engine once he gets it back just to satisfy my curiosity of how in the world it is plumbed.

I'm sure he'll get us some good info from the camaro forums and banks diesel blog. That should be good enough?

• Like 3

In order for there to be no water in the bilge, that hose has to be before the impeller. Which in my world means nothing was getting cooled.

Hulk you need to inspect the v drive and tranny as well. Try to get a look at the fluid before they change it, I imagine it is cooked. Start the conversation about those items now.

There was water in the bilge.

Second, in every Vdrive I've ever seen the Vdrive is cooled before the impeller. HEnce, the vdrive may well have gotten hot but its still "before" the impeller because the system wasn't moving water other than that which was being forced up from the clamshell.

There was water in the bilge.

Second, in every Vdrive I've ever seen the Vdrive is cooled before the impeller. HEnce, the vdrive may well have gotten hot but its still "before" the impeller because the system wasn't moving water other than that which was being forced up from the clamshell.

I agree 85. Hulk is saying the bilge was dry.

I was implying the the impeller wouldn't be pulling water through the v drive and tranny to cool them.

Hulk you have really confused yourself.

EGT sensors may very well be important on supercharged cars but not for the reasons you think.

Your Supercharger didn't fail because of high EGT although a turbo could.

Also-

The raw water part of your cooling system really isn't much different then any body elses.....if it was a problem don't you think we'd all have EGT sensors?

ahopkins22LSV

I agree 85. Hulk is saying the bilge was dry.

I was implying the the impeller wouldn't be pulling water through the v drive and tranny to cool them.

After he said there was so much water in the boat the pump couldn't keep up.

After he said there was so much water in the boat the pump couldn't keep up.

I think that was after it was docked. In any event here is my final GUESS about the raw water routing after looking at everything I could find.

Looking towards the back of the boat at the engine.

1) The water comes in the hull fitting to the right side of the v drive

2) The water goes from the left side of the v drive to the cooler on the left side of the block

3) The water goes from the cooler to the raw water pump

4) Raw water pump to heat exchanger

5) Heat exchanger to exhaust manifolds?

At this point it is more about curiosity than anything else, although I'm also still wondering about the SC failure after gorrillas description of the way it is (not cooled) and uses its own oil. Might never know what happened there unless the mechanic chimes in.

keep in mind this was after a few hours at the dock.. when the boat was at the dock the reason I noticed where the water was coming in the boat at was because A g23 came by with some massive rollers when my boat was rocked on those waves the water would come in stop with the wave action after the wave stopped it was just trippin but if you let it set for another hour more and more water would come in faster as the boat got lower

hijacked the in-laws f250 driving now ....three more hours

Does it have an exhaust gas thermometer?

I kid

Hope the boat runs great this weekend.

• Like 3

I think that was after it was docked. In any event here is my final GUESS about the raw water routing after looking at everything I could find.

Looking towards the back of the boat at the engine.

1) The water comes in the hull fitting to the right side of the v drive

2) The water goes from the left side of the v drive to the cooler on the left side of the block

3) The water goes from the cooler to the raw water pump

4) Raw water pump to heat exchanger

5) Heat exchanger to exhaust manifolds?

At this point it is more about curiosity than anything else, although I'm also still wondering about the SC failure after gorrillas description of the way it is (not cooled) and uses its own oil. Might never know what happened there unless the mechanic chimes in.

On my 2015 Indmar LS3, the water comes up from the thru-hole next to the v-drive, is routed along a hose all the way back to the raw water impeller along the starboard side of the engine, then runs back along the starboard side to the tranny cooler, from the tranny cooler into the starboard side of the v-drive, out the port side of the v-drive into the heat exchanger (located on port side), out the heat exchanger into the exhaust manifolds, then out the exhaust. I'd bet his engine is similar. Would the SC have it's own heat exchanger linked inline somewhere (I know nothing about the LSA engine)?

EDIT: I also ordered a sea strainer, which is inline between the in-take hole and the long hose running back to the raw water impeller. It is possible adding the optional sea strainer changed my routing to make the sea strainer first in-line. So, my boat may be different than most.

Edited by Cory

.. $90 in gas went missing though..

You probably aren't the only person that has WOTed it in the past couple days

That being said, I'm glad it is running top notch. That was a fast turnaround from catastrophic SC failure.

Got boat seems to run great .. $90 in gas went missing though.. haha.. its all good... i know they had to make sure it was running good...didn't finish boat lift set up till midnight will get pics posted soon and a vid..

Took her easy last night... a few burst of WOT man that SC sounds like a jet at wot!!

:Doh:

• Like 2

as much as I think the initial incident could've been prevented by a little caution, at this point I would be beating the tar out of that drivetrain all summer long to see if I could get the rest of it to fail. Vdrive/tranny/etc. Beat on it Hulk, beat on it.

Following this thread, I keep thinking it would be cool to get Hulk, Gorilla and a bottle of 1800 together. Mix 'em all up and see what happens.

Following this thread, I keep thinking it would be cool to get Hulk, Gorilla and a bottle of 1800 together. Mix 'em all up and see what happens.

Why....???? I've been nothing but supportive, just trying to help him understand his boat a little more. I've been tuning/wrenching on turbos/SC/nitrous/diesel motors for about 20 years and enjoy learning about marine motors now. Car guys don't know squat about the marine setups and neither did I when I bought my first boat 4 years ago. There were tons of people reading this thread and there was some bad info being put out there. I jumped in to try and stop the spread of that bad info.

Hulk, glad to see you back on the water. Now show us how the water is routed in that motor. Take some pics and we can figure it out if you can't.

Why....???? I've been nothing but supportive, just trying to help him understand his boat a little more. I've been tuning/wrenching on turbos/SC/nitrous/diesel motors for about 20 years and enjoy learning about marine motors now. Car guys don't know squat about the marine setups and neither did I when I bought my first boat 4 years ago. There were tons of people reading this thread and there was some bad info being put out there. I jumped in to try and stop the spread of that bad info.

Hulk, glad to see you back on the water. Now show us how the water is routed in that motor. Take some pics and we can figure it out if you can't.

I completely agree, it's just my comic book brain envisioning you guys based on the avatar names.

• Like 2