Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Kind of Anchor is best?

mtnbkr738

By scope, do you mean the box anchor works best with a steep rope incline? Newbie here.

Yes. So if your in 20' of water, 40' or 50' of rope is good.

To do it like he displayed, in 20' of water, you would need +100' of rope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On May 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM, lasik said:

Do box anchors work at Norris & Cumberland?

Do Box anchors get caught on sunk trees?

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?  Anyone?

I love my box anchor but, I can see it you have a lot of timber underwater where it (or any) anchor could get hung up. Have you watched the video on how to release a box anchor? Most times you have to roll the anchor over to break it loose. If it's in timber, it's going to be hard to flip. 

572d00b41055d_navyanchor.jpg.2c3ba73c7c0572d00ba9ce03_anchorreel.jpg.4a738f568cd

Here's what we use.  20lb navy anchor and a nice spool for rope. Lots of trees in Table Rock too.  Hardly ever have less than 80 feet of rope out,  knock on wood (no pun intended) we are getting ready to start season 5 with the same anchor.  Stuck in the tops of trees many times and so far it has always come back up.   

On 5/26/2015 at 1:15 PM, That Guy said:

I bought this anchor for our boat, and got to use it out for the first time yesterday. Worked GREAT, never needed to touch it and according to "the weather channel" app on my phone we had high wind advisories of up to 45mph yesterday. It definitely was windy, probably too windy to go boating but we just got our new boat last week so we went anyways! This was definitely one of the the windiest days I've been out on a ski boat....getting back onto the trailer was a PITA. The boat swung back and forth constantly, but the anchor never lost hold. We were in about 20ft of muddy bottom. I only put it on my anchor buddy and tossed it out.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Coated-18-lb-River-Anchor&i=74517

I may buy a box anchor in the future if this doesn't continue to work but I wanted something WITHOUT any sharp edges/metal that could scratch the boat or tear any vinyl, plus for the cost it's awesome!

My .02

+1   been using this for years on Oregon rivers and lakes with no issues with Boat Buddy and anchor line.    Never saw a box anchor before.  Maybe time to switch or try one out.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Box anchor fan.  I would agree that the ratings for boat size are for offshore.  I have a small and wish I had a baby.  I have read where people with 22'+ boats have a small and use them as the anchor to tie up several boats.  If it's just your boat and it's 22' or under, I don't see why a baby wouldn't work well.

I am a box anchor convert.  Love it.  We have lots of timber as well and I find it much less likely to hang up based on its shape as opposed to traditional anchor shapes several of which I donated to the bottom of our lake.

On 5/26/2015 at 7:30 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Box anchor & an Anchor Buddy works great for me.

Same here. Box anchor is worth every penny because of its ease of use. Plus the holding strength is great. I was anchored up and my buddy in his 21' Northriver tied up to me. We had a little wind but a pretty strong current on the Columbia River and we didn't move an inch in the few hours we were there. 

The anchor I bought from AWS in Portland came with a thick storage bag so no worries about sharp edges while it's stored on the boat. 

On May 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM, lasik said:

Do box anchors work at Norris & Cumberland?

Do Box anchors get caught on sunk trees?

Used mine on Norris and yes it works.  As for trees I haven't anchored near any so no working knowledge there but I am pretty sure there isn't an anchor made that would not get caught on something submerged.  

Love my box anchor!  Only use it when wanting to stay, but for short stops, use slide anchor to land and tie off a 15lb mushroom to the bow.

On May 8, 2016 at 6:20 AM, jb 156 said:

Used mine on Norris and yes it works.  As for trees I haven't anchored near any so no working knowledge there but I am pretty sure there isn't an anchor made that would not get caught on something submerged.  

Thanks, looking for alternative to danforth fluted style

Is it a problem to use box anchor with a chain?

On May 10, 2016 at 6:51 AM, lasik said:

Thanks, looking for alternative to danforth fluted style

Is it a problem to use box anchor with a chain?

One of the selling points of the box anchor is no chain needed.  And something like 1/3 of the rode of the standard anchor.

I love mine, the only downside is the size and weight.  I would get a mini if I were buying today.....

Box Anchor.  For sure.  I use the small.  I had one for my old boat (2001 VLX).  And I use a small for the new boat as well (2016 A24).  The small isn't too big to store or handle easily; however it truly is toss it and don't worry about it anchor.  Often I hold 2 or three boats with my box anchor and we don't move at all.  If you tie up more than your boat, make sure you really give it a 2to1 lead.  If I am just holding my boat at the tie up spot, I often dont even make a 2to1 and it holds fine.

9 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Baby size?

I have the small, but I am also thinking about getting the baby for while out riding just in case I want to hang out for a bit. The small is overkill for brief anchoring for a single boat from my experience.

There have been a lot of responses with people expressing their desire to have/use the baby box anchor vs. the small. I understand that the 'baby' will do the job, but is there an issue with using the small? Is the added weight and/or size that cumbersome?

I'm not challenging the expressed opinions - just wondering if the small box anchor has deficiencies or if people are just highlighting the overkill-ability of it?

Edited by RedOwl
27 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Baby size?

9 minutes ago, RedOwl said:

There have been a lot of responses with people expressing their desire to have/use the baby box anchor vs. the small. I understand that the 'baby' will do the job, but is there an issue with using the small? Is the added weight and/or size that cumbersome?

I'm not challenging the expressed opinions - just wondering if the small box anchor has deficiencies or if people are just highlighting the overkill-ability of it?

Baby size . . . I believe the small for my needs is overkill (holding the boat in place while relaxing and swimming).  The size, weight of the small would be nice to reduce and I would take back the little bit of storage space.  If I was planning on mooring for days or even a single evening at any point, I would use the small.

The small is already an easy one hander that fits in the useless underwear cooler in my vtx. How much smaller and lighter is the baby? Regardless the Danforth and chain I had before was much bigger and didn't work anywhere near as well.

I can't see my box anchor until it gets a few feet from the surface. I tied a knot in the rope about 4-5' from the anchor to warn me when it's almost up so I don't accidentally hit the hull with it.

• Like 3