Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Kind of Anchor is best?

mtnbkr738

Maybe time for another group buy. I got my box anchor during the one we did last year

I already ordered, the fortress anchor I'm using right now while it works, it is overkill and there is no good place to store it. Box Anchor and boat buddy it is, amazon primed and it'll be here tomorrow!..

And yes, agree with this forum costing me money, thank god my wife hasn't figured out where all the information is coming from.

• 3 months later...

20 lb navy anchor attached to 150ft of rope on an electrical reel.

Cheap setup compared to a box, but when you inevitably get the anchor stuck it the top of a tree and have 75-100 feet of rope out and no way to retrieve it, not that big of loss then.

80595_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&

a057e3c6-4be1-4a82-8da7-38bb99936e76_145

I have a box and I built one that is like the hourglass.

Most of our lake have silt and then red clay under that. So the danforths work great if you get into the clay. But it normally takes a couple feet for them to set.

With a rocky bottom you can use the grapple type anchors to.

IME no anchor made will work correctly unless you use the correct amount of rope. I believe the book answer is 2 to 1. 50ft of water = 100ft of rope. I own the box anchor and love it, but like others have said I kind of wished I would have gone smaller even an LSV and being on a river!

IME no anchor made will work correctly unless you use the correct amount of rope. I believe the book answer is 2 to 1. 50ft of water = 100ft of rope. I own the box anchor and love it, but like others have said I kind of wished I would have gone smaller even an LSV and being on a river!

Depending on type of anchor, a lot of experts recommend chain PLUS 5 to 1 scope when anchoring. One of the reasons the Box Anchor is so popular is because it reduces this to zero chain and 2 to 1 scope.

I personally wouldn't trust a traditional anchor with just 2 to 1.

(to be fair, my opinion is worth less than the paper it is written on...)

• Like 3

I keep the box anchor, 100' of rope and 10' of chain in the boat (and hooked up) at all times now. You never know when you'll need to anchor up in a private cove and make some waves...

....or in most cases, untangle a rope from the prop :(

The 5 to 1 scope rule of thumb is pretty standard, could be as much as 7 to 1 in wind or current. Any anchor, including the box anchor, provides maximum holding power when the load on it is horizontal. Proper scope allows the anchor to set as close to this optimal position as possible. In my experience, the box anchor also benefits from a length of chain. Plus it saves wear and tear on the anchor line.

I keep the box anchor, 100' of rope and 10' of chain in the boat (and hooked up) at all times now. You never know when you'll need to anchor up in a private cove and make some waves...

Or another kid. :biggrin:

Can't imagine running 5-1 scope with a box anchor. The biggest benefit of it is the holding power it has with even a 2-1 scope. To some extent it depends on your bottom, around here with the weed and muck bottoms it holds better than any anchor we've ever had and using less than 1/2 as much rope.

I've been wanting to buy a box anchor but my grapnel anchor works perfectly fine. It fits nicely in the area behind the bow cup holders. I use an old fender for a marker bouy and it slides in front of the cup holders. This has worked well since I didn't like having to go from the back of the boat dig under the seats and then go to the front with the anchor to hook up. I think I have the 9lb. Never had it not hold as long as l have enough line out. I use an anchor buddy and have an extra ~40' of line for deeper anchoring.

image_39.jpg

Edited by isellacuras

I've recently started carrying a 12# rubber coated mushroom anchor. It's junk if there is more than a light breeze or water is choppy, but very convenient 90% of the time we are out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What am I missing? This video shows the box anchor as being kinda useless:

What is this guy doing wrong in the video?

I don't have a box anchor, but the way it flips looks like it has way too much scope. It would be hard to get that kind of scope even in 10' deep water.

What am I missing? This video shows the box anchor as being kinda useless:

What is this guy doing wrong in the video?

Yup, intentionally doing it wrong. The box anchor is designed to work with very little scope, wouldn't hold worth a crap at a 10-20:1 scope like he is showing

Edited by oldjeep

In PA bottom varies from clay mud to rocks to felled trees from long ago when they made the lake. On my Crownline E4 I primarily used a Danforth with a decent length of chain to keep me from drifting. Saw and heard much about the box anchor and picked up one of those as well. Figured lighter and no chain...a no brainer, but it kept flipping on me and we would drift with any wind. Switched back to original set up. Not sure what I'm going to use with the VLX? Crownline had decent room to store a large anchor, chain and the rope. Will have to see how I can outfit the VLX. I also used a Danik Hook and that worked great!