Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Travis good news...

Asmodeus2112

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am staying in a house rental off of 183 and hwy 1 for July 4 weekend. Does anybody know the closest boat ramp to this location? I've been googling and it looks like Mansfield Dam Park is the closest and has all 4 lanes open. Sandy Creek's boat ramp is also open but I'm not sure what their boat ramps look like. I am from the DFW area and this will be my first time to Lake Travis. Just picked up an '07 LSV in April and been only able to take it out a handful of times due to all the rain we've been seeing here in Dallas. Do yall agree that Mansfield will be the ideal spot to launch? And how is the level of debris currently? Thanks!

Hey guys, I am staying in a house rental off of 183 and hwy 1 for July 4 weekend. Does anybody know the closest boat ramp to this location? I've been googling and it looks like Mansfield Dam Park is the closest and has all 4 lanes open. Sandy Creek's boat ramp is also open but I'm not sure what their boat ramps look like. I am from the DFW area and this will be my first time to Lake Travis. Just picked up an '07 LSV in April and been only able to take it out a handful of times due to all the rain we've been seeing here in Dallas. Do yall agree that Mansfield will be the ideal spot to launch? And how is the level of debris currently? Thanks!

I boat on Lake Austin, and as much as I would prefer less boats on it, I would recommend you give it a try. 360 bridge ramp is closest, but most crowded. Emma Long is a bit of a drive through some hills, and the launch is more primitive, but less crowded. I have never dropped into Travis, so can't advise there.

I boat on Lake Austin, and as much as I would prefer less boats on it, I would recommend you give it a try. 360 bridge ramp is closest, but most crowded. Emma Long is a bit of a drive through some hills, and the launch is more primitive, but less crowded. I have never dropped into Travis, so can't advise there.

Thanks for the advice. I've been having crazy panic attacks launching and loading this size of boat. Been having traction issues scaring the crap out of. Driving a non 4x4 '07 Toyota tundra, I've been letting out some air in the tires and loading the bed with passengers to help with traction, as well as throwing it in low gear. Definitely has helped a lot, but i pray im not that guy that loses his truck to the lake! lol.

I'm expecting a huge crowd this weekend. Hopefully we can make it out early before the crowd shows up

Thanks for the advice. I've been having crazy panic attacks launching and loading this size of boat. Been having traction issues scaring the crap out of. Driving a non 4x4 '07 Toyota tundra, I've been letting out some air in the tires and loading the bed with passengers to help with traction, as well as throwing it in low gear. Definitely has helped a lot, but i pray im not that guy that loses his truck to the lake! lol.

I'm expecting a huge crowd this weekend. Hopefully we can make it out early before the crowd shows up

Don't go to Emma Long or Quinlan park launches on Lake Austin then, 4x4 recommended. 360 bridge is ok if you are calm and know what you are doing.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

I talked to someone I trust who knows Lake Travis. He recommends paying the small $10-20 fee at one of two marinas to get away from the crowds and both of these have long easy sloped ramps into deep water. Lake Travis Marina or Volente Beach Marina. Basically on different sides of the lake...

I would avoid a ramp on the north shore of Travis UNLESS it's in a protected cove from the typically southern winds and chop. That's if you don't have a trusted boat driver or someone to park the trailer.

Edited by AJWest

I would avoid a ramp on the north shore of Travis UNLESS it's in a protected cove from the typically southern winds and chop. That's if you don't have a trusted boat driver or someone to park the trailer.

My trusted boat driver can't make it to austin and my trusted truck driver can't make it either due to his mothers recent passing. I guess i'm alone on this one.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Mansfield Dam Park ramp? Its on the south side, so would that be better? I dont plan on going to any of the party coves or anything like that. Our group is large enough to just have fun on our own.

And thank you all for your advice! :):biggrin:

My trusted boat driver can't make it to austin and my trusted truck driver can't make it either due to his mothers recent passing. I guess i'm alone on this one.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Mansfield Dam Park ramp? Its on the south side, so would that be better? I dont plan on going to any of the party coves or anything like that. Our group is large enough to just have fun on our own.

And thank you all for your advice! :):biggrin:

Mansfield Dam ramp is probably your best public option. Stay away from Sandy Creek -- it's very steep, narrow and long. Knowing how crazy the holiday weekend will be I would recommend spending the fee at Lake Travis Marina (or any other marina that will take your money). They are bound to be less crowded than the insanity that's sure to be Mansfield Dam.

Mansfield Dam ramp is probably your best public option. Stay away from Sandy Creek -- it's very steep, narrow and long. Knowing how crazy the holiday weekend will be I would recommend spending the fee at Lake Travis Marina (or any other marina that will take your money). They are bound to be less crowded than the insanity that's sure to be Mansfield Dam.

Definitely willing to pay the fee to avoid crowds. There's this one lake in dallas that took 4 hours to get out of the park due to the amount of people on July 4th.

So Mansfield Dam is crowded..

I'll have to look into Lake Travis Marina then.