Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filling up with gas

aralizadeh

I agree Ahopkins. Im 700 hrs in on regular ethanol pump gas. I could have bought 3 new engines with savings.

+1 - I have 3 of those - they are great! Easy to fill and haven't lost a drip filling the boat with that longer hose attachment.

On a side note, my brother was visiting from California last summer. He realized we pay less on the water (Table Rock Lake) than they pay at the pump.

Now back to the normally scheduled programming.

ahopkins22LSV
I've heard those are awesome, but for near $100 I'll stick with my $10 dollar siphon hose, sit back, relax and enjoy the view for the time it takes for the hose to do the work for me. Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I have my boat on a lift thru the summer so it frees my car to carry one of those reece hitch racks... holds 6) 5 gallon cans perfectly. I used to fill all 6 and hope it lasts a weekend. Now I fill up 2 and tell the grown working kids if they want to ride more they can kick in and buy the gas

Interesting about the grade of gas not mattering....I've always put premium in our 96 Malibu since new! :surprised: I've just started reading through the manual for the our new boat but I could've swore the dealer said premium only. Interesting...But really, who said they've saved enough by using regular gas that they could replace their motor.....LOL what?!

I think octane dependency is a function off engine. The 350/409 i would run standard unleaded, LS3/LSA premium only...imho

My current LS3 i run 91, and it works well, i have read it will do ok on lower grade gas but will retard ignition, thus lose power. Why buy LS3 to lose power with cheaper gas? That makes no sense! My next boat is LSA, it wants premium according to indmar.

Edited by DarkSide

Why cheap out .20 a gallon on regular when your boat is designed to run on 89? It's $200 per 1000 gallons to not have to worry about detonation. I make everyone chip in for gas anyway so it is like a $1 difference for 5 gallons. Yeah 87 may be ok but your motor will have to dial back the timing in order to not knock therefore you lose some power. As much money as we spend on these boats I would make sure to use what Indmar says.

I think octane dependency is a function off engine. The 350/409 i would run standard unleaded, LS3/LSA premium only...imho

My current LS3 i run 91, and it works well, i have read it will do ok on lower grade gas but will retard ignition, thus lose power. Why buy LS3 to lose power with cheaper gas? That makes no sense! My next boat is LSA, it wants premium according to indmar.

Manual for my 2012 says 89 for everything but the lsa and ls3 which should have 91

As much money as we spend on these boats I would make sure to use what Indmar says.

I don't know if you said "Indmar" on purpose.

The Indmar website for L96 states: Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded (maximum 10% ethanol)

http://www.indmar.com/mobile/engines/malibu/Malibu-6.0L-L96/Malibu-60L96-Specs.aspx

My Malibu/Indmar manual states: The LY6, L96, LSA, LS2, LS3and LS7 require 91 octane or higher.

Edited by flapjack

So, being a newbie here to owning a Malibu and the forums, what is more important? I've got the 350.

- The Octane? And if so, what grade? 87? 89? 93? Manual says 89 or better as I recall.

OR

- The gas being ethanol free?

I trailer my boat, and always gas up before going out for the day. The Octane is, obviously, easy for me to control. The ethanol-free part, well, not so easy.

In my previous boat (11 Stingray 185LS w/ 3.0 carburated Volvo Penta) I didn't worry much and just ran 87 octane fuel from either a BP or an Exxon station near where I park the boat. Both stations pump "may have up to 10% Ethanol" gas. I do have an Ethanol free option or two, but I need to check and see on the octane they offer. Thinking it might be only premium 93.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Jesse

In your case, I don't think you need to worry much about ethanol. I believe Malibu is running a closed system on their fuel tanks now. They don't freely vent air in and out of the tanks on the newer boats. They have evap emissions systems now. With this being the case, you don't have to worry about the ethanol degrading in short periods of time. (less than a couple months) If longer than that, throw some stabil in it.

Disclaimer- I could be wrong about Bu having sealed systems now, but I have noticed a lot of new boats that do. My MCs have had a closed systems since 2012. I'm thinkin Malibu probably started around the same time.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
ahopkins22LSV

In your case, I don't think you need to worry much about ethanol. I believe Malibu is running a closed system on their fuel tanks now. They don't freely vent air in and out of the tanks on the newer boats. They have evap emissions systems now. With this being the case, you don't have to worry about the ethanol degrading in short periods of time. (less than a couple months) If longer than that, throw some stabil in it.

Disclaimer- I could be wrong about Bu having sealed systems now, but I have noticed a lot of new boats that do. My MCs have had a closed systems since 2012. I'm thinkin Malibu probably started around the same time.

12's may have had them but I'm 99.9% sure you are correct 13 and on.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We had one of the Gas Caddy's, not like the one above, it's made out of plastic. The pump was awful, leaked fuel everywhere. Nothing I hate more than pouring fuel into the river. Now I lay the thing down and use the jiggler siphon.