Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My first boat...all bad.

JJ4417

OK then, if the boat is moveing then no beep. If the boat is siting still then beep.

Or, another compromise. If the key is on and the throtle is in gear then allow it to lift. (engine running or not) This would seem to provide adequate safety and protection from liability. Why tie it to something mechanical that is in the water asking to break? The current design is just begging for owners to do a mod that will circumvent it.

You know that pole, towers, and the hooks you tie your tow ropes to are dangerous too. Lots of people get injured while hanging on to ropes tied to those things.

Sorry this hijacked the original discussion.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ4417

• gonorth

• doughickey

• sheeprides

Sorry to hear of your experience, but welcome to UWS Rancho. I cant stand that place, I had to move to Idaho so I didn't have to deal with them. lol. Why Malibu continues to let that idiot run the place is beyond me. My first experience with MM was when he was selling MC's at Copes. I was browsing the showroom when he came to talk to me. He asked if I had a boat currently, and I told him I had a Malibu. He turned into the rudest salesman I'd ever seen and started putting down Malibu boats. I find it quite ironic that he is now selling them.

Good luck.

i have bought 2 boats from thr copes/uws company and i agree they need alot of work.1 mc ,1 malibu.. the service center you have to be on them like a hawk... dont expect any call backs and dont espect a clean boat when you get it back. at one time i found a 12pk of empty beers, sun tan lotion, and my bimini put back all wrong. the beer wasnt my brand nor the lotion. i always had put my mastercraft logo pointing forward on my bimini sock and it was backwards. plus i had 6 more hours on the boat than when i dropped it off. their response was that they had to water test it and they refuse to cook out there without the bimini. i just let it

go since i was happy to get my boat back. my mc went in 6 times during a 2 month period. my last trip was about 3 weeks ago for a 50hour servive on my malibu rlxi. when i went to pic it up they told me it would be right out. i waited 15minutes and the girl comes out and tells me that they are too busy and to drive back there and get it myself. well their new place is huge and it was hard to find it. when i did no one bothered to help me . no big deal. the problem was that i have a lifted truck and to get my trialer hithced , i require a block under the jack to crank my boat high enough to reach the hitch( i know i need to get lower drop). anyway the blcok i had left them was gone. while looking for something i found a scratch on the trailer , grease on the cover and the inside was disgusting. i hate going to this place but unfortunately i have no choice...

one thing i will add, i had great service at both dealerships. just yesterday i called about a prop and steve searched for me a called me right back. at copes they are very attentive and helpful as well. it may just be becuase i bought 2 boats in one year . but combined that still doesnt add up to a fully loaded wakesetter!

Edited by lxirod

I find it interesting that many times we see the comment "It's a dealer issue not a Malibu issue." While I certainly understand this concept, I think it's still important to remember the fact that these guys are operating under the Malibu Flag.

The fact that Malibu doesn't like us purchase outside of our home dealer's territory rewards a dealer with sales based simply on geography. Why should a dealer put effort into winning customers with superior service when the same customers will be forced to buy from him again when they want another Bu?

I find it obvious from my own experiences as well as those of others, that these dealer service issues are wide spread. Beer cans left in a serviced boat...pretty sad that I'm not surprised.

Can any Joe Blow who can sell a few boats become a Malibu Dealer. Dontknow.gif It's time for Malibu to start holding dealers more accountable!!!

OK then, if the boat is moveing then no beep. If the boat is siting still then beep.

Or, another compromise. If the key is on and the throtle is in gear then allow it to lift. (engine running or not) This would seem to provide adequate safety and protection from liability. Why tie it to something mechanical that is in the water asking to break? The current design is just begging for owners to do a mod that will circumvent it.

You know that pole, towers, and the hooks you tie your tow ropes to are dangerous too. Lots of people get injured while hanging on to ropes tied to those things.

Sorry this hijacked the original discussion.

For years cars have had auto all-the-way-up windows that will stop and reverse if there is an object in the way. If this is a safety issue, the technology is there to stop the problem. I don't have a power wedge, but to have to be moving would kinda bug me if I did.

The technology is there to put a man on the moon.

Man, people really are spoiled these days, complaining about having to be moving to put the wedge up. Oh my goodness, what a travesty! I remember the good old days where you had to jump in the water (no door on the platform), pull a cotter pin, pull out the "big" pin, and then try to reinsert when there was no guide sleeve, no room for error, and in cold water the cotter had a hard tiem going on. I can remember having to spend 5 minutes puching and pulling the wedge, having to hold my breath, in the winter. Whats my point? Designs get better! Malibu isn't done with this design, far from it. Everybody calm down. Is it really that big of a deal to have the boat in idle to pull the wedge up? Now, if this was like correct craft's ballast tanks where it took 5 minutes of cruising to fill, thats another story.

Ok, I found your problem............

Ultimate Water Sports

I would never even walk into that place.................... and many other feel the same way.

Sorry for your troubles.

Edited by R1LOVER

I say we start a petition to remove UWS as a malibu dealer in Rancho/Sac area and send it to Malibu.... if nothing else it will give Malibu something to take to UWS and complain about....

I find it interesting that many times we see the comment "It's a dealer issue not a Malibu issue." While I certainly understand this concept, I think it's still important to remember the fact that these guys are operating under the Malibu Flag.

It sounds like Malibu needs to develope a "process standard" or "operating procedure" for their dealers. That way there is consistancy and quality is assured with each precious delivery to a welcomed new customer. KC

I'm sensing a recurring theme here. I find it interesting that sooo many people have had the same outcome with this dealer yet nothing ever changes.

For those in the valley, Boat Country is a great dealer. Attentive to detail and professional. It's probably 90+ minutes from Sacramento, but worth the trip. I live in the South Bay and their reputation caused me to drive 2+ hours many times. Here are their coordinates:

Brent Lemcke (Owner is Randy and is onsite every day)

Sales Manager

Boat Country, Inc.

1433 E. Main Street

Escalon, CA 95320

(209) 838-2628

http://www.boatcountryusa.com

[email protected] (not checked very often)

Most of us have had no quality problems, so while your situation is unfortunate and annoying, I cling to the hope it is rare.

Welcom to the Crew!

For those in the valley, Boat Country is a great dealer. Attentive to detail and professional. It's probably 90+ minutes from Sacramento, but worth the trip. I live in the South Bay and their reputation caused me to drive 2+ hours many times. Here are their coordinates:

Brent Lemcke (Owner is Randy and is onsite every day)

Sales Manager

Boat Country, Inc.

1433 E. Main Street

Escalon, CA 95320

(209) 838-2628

http://www.boatcountryusa.com

[email protected] (not checked very often)

Most of us have had no quality problems, so while your situation is unfortunate and annoying, I cling to the hope it is rare.

Welcom to the Crew!

Just wanted to back this up. They are the only place that I will go regardless of where I live. I have bought both my Malibu's from them and they will get my next one as well. It is very much family there since the same people have been there for a very long time. Brent knows the product inside and out and Greg is an outstanding professional in there service department along with others.

I decided a couple of years ago that Boat Country was where I was going to take my boat if it needed it.....problem is the dang boat won't break....wait....

I third Boat Country.

I forget the parts guy's name but, he REALLY knows what he's talking about.

Stan is the parts guy's name.....and living only 5 minutes from Boat Country I feel very fortunate!

I say we start a petition to remove UWS as a malibu dealer in Rancho/Sac area and send it to Malibu.... if nothing else it will give Malibu something to take to UWS and complain about....

I'm in...

As of this evening, this thread has had over 1400 viewings. There are over 1800 Crew members. Many, repeat buyers.

By golly, Malibu needs to know that it's biggest and most loyal customer base is reading this horror story.

And this big group of fans are disgusted.

Three points:

To UWS: Sounds like you should plan on selling other boats pretty soon. Seems like you've been unofficially blacklisted. Too bad..... but sounds like you deserve it.

To Malibu: Hope you can help resolve THIS customer's situation. It's YOUR dealer that you authorized..... you've got liability here. It's your channel program that discourages out-of-area sales. So, here's 2 problems you need to fix. The first (A) and most immediate is for your new Boat Buyer with all the defects. The second (B) is a broader and longer range problem. Fix UWS, or replace them. And find a different solution to the out-of-area territory protection policy. It may make your life easier, but business is about the Customer.......... and it's NOT working for them.

We're watching. Please fix both A and B.

To OTHER Malibu Dealers: You can see what happens here (on the Crew) when stuff goes bad. Word spreads..... like wildfire. The bad guys get called out. Fortunately, the good guys also get noticed and praised. However, it does mean that you have to stay on your toes to KEEP earning our loyalty and our business. Simple business.

Now I feel all obligated to reply...

Thank you for the info on boat country. I currently travel 45min to get my bicycle serviced because, again, I got screwed by the local bicycle dealer. Whole other story on a different forum. (Am I the common denominator yet?) I think I can travel another 45 mins to get my much more expensive boat taken care of.

Before I do however, and this might be a silly question, but they don't lose money on warranty work, right? They get fully reimbursed by Malibu? I wouldn't want to take UWS problems to someone else if it is a huge hassle for them. I would rather force UWS to fix it and take the hit.

Someone mentioned earlier that there might be money pulled from one dealer if they deliver a bad boat and they would have to somehow compensate the repair shop. I understand up here it is all the same folks under Cope, but I assume that the individual franchises make money based on inventory moved. If they are consistantly putting out a bad product (no hit on Bu here, I'm talking everyone under the Cope umbrella) you would think that the other franchises that use the same repair shop would have an issue. Or especially that the shop would have an issue. Again, I don't know the way the contract is written with Malibu, or how the franchise license is structured.

I would think that at minimum, a customer survey process needs to be started. Whether it be someone from the factory calling each customer, or a JD Power whizzbang thing.

Just a thought.

I'll put pics up in the next couple of days. It's parked on the side of the house and I've got no room for a decent camera angle. Plus the truck is dirty. And I have to find the link on how to post pics.

Take it to Boat Country. If it's warranty work, regardless of where you take it, the dealer has to get approval for the repairs by Malibu. Avoid UWS at all cost if you can.

Use www.photobucket.com to post pictures and attach the link to your post. Just make sure you check the box for public viewing in the controls so that we can access the pics.

I hate to say it but, I've heard (from a very reliable source) that Malibu does NOT reimburse the dealers very well for warranty work. Wheter or not the selling dealer is doing the warranty work.

I hate to say it but, I've heard (from a very reliable source) that Malibu does NOT reimburse the dealers very well for warranty work. Wheter or not the selling dealer is doing the warranty work.

Probably a pre-negotiated rate (like auto industry) vs $100+/hr labor rate for straight service.

First attempt here. And like I said, it's in a bad spot...sorry about the trees. I would remove them, but the neighbor might have an issue with it since they are his.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/jj4417/DSCN1474.jpg - front

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/jj4417/DSCN1476.jpg - interior

Where is the silly FAQ on how to post pics? How do I get the thumbnails going?

DSCN1475.jpg

Edited by JJ4417

I think the biggest problem you'll have regarding warranty work is having it done in a timely manner. That is; if you decide to go boycott UWS and have warranty service done elsewhere, you may be put in line behind people who bought their boat at that particular dealer.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the marine industry could learn a lot from the automotive industry. Almost all auto dealers are now graded by surveys sent directly from the manufacturer. Good scores mean money in the dealers pockets along with other incentives. Bad scores, and the dealer loses $$$$. It is in the dealer's best interest to get the highest marks possible and they will bend over backwards to make it happen.

If Malibu had a similar program in place, you'd be damn sure that your problems wouldn't last long. But if they did, you'd get great warranty service from another dealer regardless where you bought the boat.

As of this evening, this thread has had over 1400 viewings. There are over 1800 Crew members. Many, repeat buyers.

By golly, Malibu needs to know that it's biggest and most loyal customer base is reading this horror story.

And this big group of fans are disgusted.

Three points:

To UWS: Sounds like you should plan on selling other boats pretty soon. Seems like you've been unofficially blacklisted. Too bad..... but sounds like you deserve it.

To Malibu: Hope you can help resolve THIS customer's situation. It's YOUR dealer that you authorized..... you've got liability here. It's your channel program that discourages out-of-area sales. So, here's 2 problems you need to fix. The first (A) and most immediate is for your new Boat Buyer with all the defects. The second (B) is a broader and longer range problem. Fix UWS, or replace them. And find a different solution to the out-of-area territory protection policy. It may make your life easier, but business is about the Customer.......... and it's NOT working for them.

We're watching. Please fix both A and B.

To OTHER Malibu Dealers: You can see what happens here (on the Crew) when stuff goes bad. Word spreads..... like wildfire. The bad guys get called out. Fortunately, the good guys also get noticed and praised. However, it does mean that you have to stay on your toes to KEEP earning our loyalty and our business. Simple business.

Very well written and very true.................. :)