Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lemon?

usualsuspect355

The 2nd engine was a change indmar made in regards to engine angle while the wedge is down that gm recommended but turned out to not work. From what I was told indmar was reluctant but decided to follow gm advice. They aren't making that mistake again.

Be interesting to understand what this one meant. A chevy small block is pretty tolerant of being run at all sorts of weird angles, including upside down for short periods of time. Almost sounds like maybe the oil pickup could come out of the oil in some situations?

Nope, it's held up well. The ignition was linked back to problem with main power switch. I believe, wasn't near as interested back then as learning the engine problems

Edited by usualsuspect355

I've been reading through here & frankly I don't see how some defend Malibu at all. For what these things cost new, there shouldn't be any problems, at all. QC should be much better before it ever leaves the factory & it should be broken in & deemed water worthy prior to the owner ever being handed the keys. If it was a mass produced item that costs half of what a new Bu costs I would expect some issues. But some of the stories that pop up on here are almost unforgivable simply due to what a new Bu costs.

Love that color. If you ever think about selling it give me a shout, I know a couple of people that would buy this boat on the spot. In the end, they are not space shuttles. Sounds like the Maliview is behaving. You should have much smoother waters ahead.

Edited by Sride

Thanks. We got Malibu to do entire boat with silver flake. As much as I wanted a new boat I was worried about it not turning out as well and putting a duplicate out there in circulation. Lol

I agree. I am pretty handy so most issues I can deal with/fix myself. However, I agree that any company, that charges a hefty premium, regardless of the product, should test and retest so QC issues would become rare and almost extinct. The fact that we have learned to deal with them and almost expect them is sad for the industry. A Premium product should be a Premium product.

And issues should be taken care of quickly and professionally. The manufacturer of the Core product has ultimate responsibility. They choose the vendors they do business with along with the dealers who sell/support their product, therefore the customer should never get caught in the middle of the blame game. Customer should be taken care of first, and any internal blame battles should be transparent to the customer.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

Edited by bunji169

Thanks. We got Malibu to do entire boat with silver flake. As much as I wanted a new boat I was worried about it not turning out as well and putting a duplicate out there in circulation. Lol

That does look really sick! I'm a big fan of silver metal flake. And you're right, that is one-of-a-kind (in a good way).

Did they even do the hull in silver flake? I didn't think they allowed that.

Not the floor, but everything else. Isn't offered but we requested and they had no problem doing. Actually saved $$$ because no taping needed.

Dude you are going to get banned before this thread gets good, and before Afun even gets off of probation!

(when your text gets "starred" out (non-profane example: *****'d), that probably means you tried to use a naughty word)

That boat looks georgous.

I know all brands have had their issues with individual boats from time to time. Mc had 2012 electronics, nautique had the drive shafts, other brands etc. I've been lucky and with 3 new boats over 18 years never had to take any to dealer for repairs.

What I don't understand is why some people on here have defended bu so strongly and resorting to coming up with reasons why these problems are your fault. Malibu makes great boats but some will have their issues. Those unfortunate people deserve to be able to complain.

I had a used boat 19 years ago that had many issues. To this day my wife won't even look at that brand even with me telling her they really make a good boat now. Hopefully your dealer has been good enough that it hasn't made you feel that way.

After seeing your boat I understand why you'd rather have it fixed.

Yeah, bad move.

Here's the deal. Posting about a problem and asking for a solution is one thing, but you are not doing that. You are venting. That means a lot of negatives, but not really coming up with anything useful to share or a way that you are moving forward. There are plenty of angry places on the internet, and they try hard to keep this site as not one of them.

Back to the topic - I think it is insane that people pay that kind of money and have problems. But, it's not like a car - you are not going to get the same type of service, warranty fixes, etc. So don't think of it like a car. OR, think of it like a car, that has been completely customized, and therefore is tough for people to stand by. I've seen several posts like yours, and at first I was appalled by blown engines, stripped screws, cracks, etc. But after many years now I see that the industry kind of has that lax standard. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

Actually no, I used them on the quote and the other word was 'current', oh no how could i.

I seem to remember something in one of your earlier posts about floats, flies or ____?

Well, there's nothing wrong with complaining and venting, but it's like the guy who left his boat sitting in the water for an entire season coming on here and blasting BU because his hull discolored. I mean, it's clear in the warranty docs that you shouldn't leave your boat in the water more than like 2 weeks, and that if you do it's your fault. Yeah, while we all empathize with a person having boat problems, there's a good way and a bad way to vent, and just because someone's upset doesn't make it right to start blindly complaining.

Once again, this guy has had some bad engine trouble. Well, seems to me that the OP should be upset with the entity that builds the engines. If you buy a BU, Tige, CC, MB, etc. and you have an engine issue, guess what, its going to be covered under a separate warranty. That's just the standard in this industry. It's no surprise. It's in the warranty literature. Seems like this guy has had some issues that flow from the replacement engine installations. Well, maybe he should be upset with the entity that installed the engines.

If he had a loose tower and some upholstery that needed to be fixed because it showed up at the dealer that way, then sure, I understanding being peeved at BU about that. However, in my experience, when working with a good dealer, issues like that are ironed out in short order with BU's help. Does that mean he is not entitled to get upset? No. Do I understand? Yes. Do these issues give the OP the right to lump ALL problems he has had on Malibu? No.

Apparently, there are some members who just feel that it is important to focus on and identify the actual root causes of the complaints being voiced. That way, hopefully, there can be both some constructive solutions suggested, and the OP can be educated as to who, exactly, he should be upset with and why.

Edited by Chattwake
  • Like 1

Well, how about asking the OP what efforts he has engaged in to discuss this matter with BU customer services, and what responses he has received? Sounds to me like all of his issues have been repaired, except for a crack in the floor and some issues flowing from the installation of the replacement engines.

• Like 1

I'm concluding they have no interest in my story. I only joined to let it be known my difficulty with malibu, evidently they only want positive stories. In other words they want the next 'me' to be as shocked as I was at how my boat held up.

Edited by usualsuspect355
  • Like 2

Took boat in to have things fixed, again. Got a breakdown of what went wrong with engines, just so you guys could have more to discredit. 1st engine the pipe (which was a hose from previous models) only had 1 clamp. They now have 2. Yw. The 2nd engine was a change indmar made in regards to engine angle while the wedge is down that gm recommended but turned out to not work. From what I was told indmar was reluctant but decided to follow gm advice. They aren't making that mistake again. (Cough cough) and as to the dealer not being honest as some suggest, I know the salesman from outside of boating as a friend and the mechanic worked as a mechanic at my flight school. We discussed freely what was happening. Some things I didn't understand but they were honest. I did have issue with how dealer handled 1st engine, the mechanic did tell me troubling info.

You got told an engine catastrophically failed due to its angle in the wedge down position? I'd really like to hear more about this. I've been around a lot of Malibus and this is the first I've ever heard such a thing. Not that it matters, if your engine expired, that stinks. I'd also like to hear more about how a hose in the exhaust system contributed to a catastrophic engine overheat? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'd sure like to hear more because it would seem the clamp (s) responsible for engine cooling are clamps for the cooling system, most of which are installed by the dealer. These boats do not come lake ready. While the explanation won't make you sleep better unfortunately, I'd like to hear more about the explanation as I'm sure some others would as well.

O, I'd still buy your boat! Haven't heard anything yet that would scare me. Sounds to me like some interior pieces need tightening and the fusion mat should be kept down.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

Well, how about asking the OP what efforts he has engaged in to discuss this matter with BU customer services, and what responses he has received? Sounds to me like all of his issues have been repaired, except for a crack in the floor and some issues flowing from the installation of the replacement engines.

^^^This.

Since the OP is "friends" with the salesman and also knows the mechanic, I'm still trying to understand what he has requested that hasn't happened and what the real, outstanding issue is at this point in time.

^^^This.

Since the OP is "friends" with the salesman and also knows the mechanic, I'm still trying to understand what he has requested that hasn't happened and what the real, outstanding issue is at this point in time.

Given the first post it sounds like its because he hasn't gotten a replacement boat?