Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder adjustment.... anyone know how adjust slack?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• SmoothWaterMan

• gooddog

• jshap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

OK, new rudder, new issues.........

I trimmed the tab so that when you look a the rudder form the stern, the tab protruded to the port side. I got a lot of left pull. I moved it to center still got left pull. Then I moved it so the tab protruded to the starboard side (again looking at rudder form stern) and got a very neutral steering, but it also caused the bow to hunt left to right in smooth water.

Now I have the tab protruding out almost as far as I can to the starboard side, and I still have a slight left pull.

Will I need to shave the rudder to get a right pull at this point? Anyone have any pics of where to shave it and how much?

Stewart,

What an odd problem - I sure did hunt when we were out on Sat. Have you heard from any other 247 limo drivers?

It didn't seem to do it at boarding speeds, only when crusing along quickly on smooth water (as you noted)

Very distinct side to side hunting...

I adjusted it further to the starboard side after we went out on Saturday. Sunday it didn't hunt but picked up a slight left pull (hence no hunting) at boarding speed the rudder was pretty neutral.

Again, I've got the tab protruding out to the starboard side as you look at the rudder from the stern.

Stewart,

What an odd problem - I sure did hunt when we were out on Sat. Have you heard from any other 247 limo drivers?

It didn't seem to do it at boarding speeds, only when crusing along quickly on smooth water (as you noted)

Very distinct side to side hunting...

Why not just leave it so that it pulls to port? I understand that it might be different to have it pull that way, but it'll only take a second to get used to.

When you describe "left pull", are you saying that if you let go of the wheel, the boat will turn left, or it will turn right, for you have to hold the wheel to the left to keep it straight?

Thanks,

Peter

If they are truly straight that might be an issue, but I'm going to go work on a boat on the water, and I'll experiment some.

Without seeing the boat it's tough, but as far as I can tell your rudder trim tab is working exactly backwards from it's intention. It's either the boat, or my comprehension skills.

Peter.

Stew,

I just ran a Response LX (only 'cuase I was working on it at the same time) and like it was supposed to, with the trim tab to the left (port) the boat increases torque steer to the right. In the middle the boat pulls slightly right, and with the trim tab to the right (starboard), the boat is loose feeling or pulls left, depending on speed and amount of tab to the right.

On a fast deceleration most every boat will pull left slightly, or more correctly will lose the torque steer to the right, and the driver must compensate slightly to the right.

Not that any of this helps, but this is typical of all the inboards I've driven. (Except for the one SLXi that we replaced the rudder on due to a left pull)

Peter

Stew,

I just ran a Response LX (only 'cuase I was working on it at the same time) and like it was supposed to, with the trim tab to the left (port) the boat increases torque steer to the right. In the middle the boat pulls slightly right, and with the trim tab to the right (starboard), the boat is loose feeling or pulls left, depending on speed and amount of tab to the right.

On a fast deceleration most every boat will pull left slightly, or more correctly will lose the torque steer to the right, and the driver must compensate slightly to the right.

Not that any of this helps, but this is typical of all the inboards I've driven. (Except for the one SLXi that we replaced the rudder on due to a left pull)

Peter

Wow. Maybe its just hull design or something? I agree on the starboard side adjustment, but to the port even all the way port is had more left hand pull (meaning let go of wheel go left)

I'm gonna call Malibu and see what they say aobut this.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me Peter!

• 3 weeks later...

Stew,

Peter

Wow. Maybe its just hull design or something? I agree on the starboard side adjustment, but to the port even all the way port is had more left hand pull (meaning let go of wheel go left)

I'm gonna call Malibu and see what they say aobut this.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me Peter!

I am glad I found this site and this thread -- my V-ride (05) has a similar issue -- the boat pulls strongly to the right when I let go of the wheel. Sounds like I need a slight rudder adjustment to the Starboard side ....

• 5 years later...

New Question,

the trim tab on my '06 VLX is 100% loose and will move from side to side with no force applied. I went to go tighten the screws and they seem to be lock-tited into place. Is this normal? In an attempt to break them free I stripped out the head of one of the screws. Does anyone have any good advice for getting the old one out? Are the set screws made out of brass or are they steel? My plane was to drill the the set screw out using a counter-rotating drill and then re-tapping the hole. Only problem was I can't find what threading the hole is. It says that I need a 1/8 inch allen wrench but thats not the correct threading.

Any help would be much appreciated!