Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Debating between two boats, 2010 a22 vs 2004 xlv

Kmart25

I've seen that 2007 you posted in Idaho. I have been checking within about a 6 hour or so drive from home. I'll expand some more.

Beautiful boat but at some point I have to put my foot down on price or I'll end up in a new boat at the dealership haha

Forget about that 2007, I am begging the woman now to let me get it

Yeah I'll always wakeboard. My cousins boat is what I ride behind since my parents sold the b52 and its a direct drive mb that has a total skiers wake. Deffintley want to get into wake surfing. Like I said done it twice had a blast, and I surf/skim every year in Hawaii so it's not like I'm going into it blind wondering if I'll like surfing.

I would love to hear some boat suggestions in the 30-40 range. I'm not set on one of these boats, just wanted to ask what was the better buy of the two.

I just talked to a guy with a 2012 axis a20. It has pretty disappointing features. Only 900lb ballast, no depth Finder, and no tower speakers. He wants 37500. I don't think its worth losing two feet of boat and those features over 3500 dollars. Opinions?

I've got a 2012 A20. I haven't put a lot of thought/time into the surf wave, but I would think the longer boats would be better for you if surfing is a priority. I wouldn't worry about the ballast though. Adding the plug and play bags is really easy.

That said - if you do ever run into storage, towing or length restrictions the A20 is a great boat.

Edited by wtstapel

Crap I forgot to post my restrictions... I really can't do over 23 feet. My garage bay is 25 feet long and if I do 24 I'm slamming it in there and removing the swim step. 21-22 seems most appealing.

Yea the 04 VLX hull isnt that great for surfing, which my family is okay with because we primarily slalom and barefoot, with some wakeboarding. I would go with the axis or a 05+ VLX

There is a 05 vlx the dude will take 32000 on but it has 550 hours. 200 more than the 04 and 3000 more. Is the updated hull and illusion tower?

If it was well taken care of those hours are nothing.

Well the 04 was immaculate and looks like they will take 28 and give me 1000 in pro shop credit. (We sold all our old ropes and boards with the old boat) It drove great too. Think I might be a new malibu/first boat owner...

Might worry about too low hours on a 10 year old boat, brings up questions like:

"was there a mechanical issue or worse an accident that caused such low hours?"

"If it was just stored for very extended issues, was the maintenance still completed - did block ever freeze, and how was it repaired?"

When I was looking for mine, I found one that I passed on. I called the area dealerships to ask about service records, and found out there had been repairs consistent with it being driven up a ramp! might call to verify the service.

I owned a 2010 a22 that I bought new and it sold earlier this year for the same as your dealer is asking. It had close to 500 hours on it, no tower speakers but larger engine. I'm in southern california, I would guess the markets would be fairly similar. I was very happy with that boat but I wake boarded or skated 90% of the time... I have no feedback on the surf wave. I ended up getting a 15 a22... it wasn't a tough decision to purchase another axis.