Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well . . . . F150 it is then

DAI

My view of the Bakflips is a bit different. The Bakflips are neat, functional but not very durable. I'm on my second one in 6 years and it is about ready for the junk pile. First one was an "HD" - the old aluminum skinned one that dented when you looked at it. The eventual warranty replacement in 2010 was an F1 which has discolored and delaminated. (And has a ski pole hole in it - my fault entirely)

DAI, I've had husky, weather tech, niftys, and I'm sure some others I've forgotten.

I run the weather techs only now in my truck (F-150 FX2 and also in my wife's new 2015 Grand Cherokee).

Good luck in your decision. Also, if you don't haul too much nasty crap, is highly recommend a bedrug and a Bak Product. I've had their rollbak and flip. The BakFlip G2 is what I currently run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I got the spray in bedliner and the flip cover as part of my deal. Now just waiting on the flip cover to come in.

How do the weight distributing hitch and surge brakes get along, that just about EVERY inboard trailer produced has?

I have never seen the combo so I am curious. Seems like the coupler would really not like the forces applied and may adversely effect braking, but I dunno.

Edited by Bawshogg

How do the weight distributing hitch and surge brakes get along, that just about EVERY inboard trailer produced has?

I have never seen the combo so I am curious. Seems like the coupler would really not like the forces applied and may adversely effect braking, but I dunno.

They make WD hitches that work with surge brakes, you just have to make sure you buy the right kind. I had one on a car trailer that I used to have, didn't impact the surge brakes at all (or make a damn bit of difference when towing)

they have swivel brackets that supposedly allow the trailer coupler to move freely like it should... but somehow apply ~%40 of the tongue weight torqued in a forward down position to put that %40 tongue weight on the front tires. Its not chains to the torsion bars like a normal WDH, but a swivel bracket.

• 1 month later...

Had my first long tow yesterday with the new truck. 300 miles, stuck in MKE rush hour at the zoo interchange, multiple potty stops for the kids, and got 11 mpg with speeds between 60-65 mph.

Overall the truck did good with the load. I love comments of 'you'll never know the boat is back there'; such a saleman pitch or over exaggeration. Not that I ever believed a word of this.

The family really liked the new vehicle over the previous Denali's we had. A lot more interior space and the wife loved the messaging seat.

Very happy with this purchase.

I'd actually say, at least on my experiences, the towing improvement was slighly better. Now that's not saying it was bad, but always thought the towing on the Denali was pretty good and this is just that notch better.

A friend of mine that works for the DPS in Texas said they are going to start cracking down on violations concerning non CDL/ DOT towing capacities. They are going to be busy, this weekend I passed someone in a 1/2 ton pulling a fifth wheel (not a little one).

Edited by MLBurns

Same route, same stops, same traffic, sans boat = 22 mpg. It definitely liked 60 - 65 better than 75 for mpg. I would have avg closer to 24-25 mpg at 60 - 65 mph the whole way.