Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well . . . . F150 it is then

DAI

So looking at wdh it appears at first glace they put more load in the reciever piece of the hitch than just the ball. With the wdh a moment looks to be transfered in the xy direction of the square tubing. While i understand the reason ford and others put the disclaimer in documentation; from an enginering standpoint i think the 5000 lb load rating is off base.

No, it's their way of saying:

5k is the max this truck can handle in the SAE J2807 tests.... Without using a WDH and transferring some of the weight to the front wheels of he truck... And with a WDH, the load evenly loaded across the 4 wheels off the truck... Then it can handle a 11k+ Tow.

Free body diagram then please because i dont see how a wdh is doing what your claiming. I just dont see how the load path is changed that much but i am trying to do this and hang with my 4 year old daughter.

Rob, go to YouTube and search WDH.

Done right it puts approx 40% of the tongue weight on the truck's front wheels and 60% on the rear. It torques the entire hitch in a downward forward fashion with the torsion bars to make it happen. Search videos, it'll make sense when you see it. Much safer and more stable tow,which is why ratings x2.5ish with a WDH. But a fairly big PITA to set a WDH with torsion bars for every tow.

I think this is getting confusing. While NY is accurate in what he posted, it's just the rating of the receiver at 5,000#, not the truck.

To the OP....talk with the dealer before you take delivery. If it's not what you need, then you'll have some negotiating to do.

FWIW, I've been running F150's since 2004. The 2014 that I have no does not have the max to package, but the 2011 I had did. I've never had an issue towing loads up to 9,500# with any of them.

The biggest advantaged over the Yukon is going from a class III to a class IV hitch, with the option to upgrade it in the future if necessary. I talked to 3 different places that sell and install weight distribution hitches and all of them for my setup say it's not needed (more for campers where there is a lot more forward weight). If I add that plus the towing sway technology they have, it fits in the garage, it's better loaded then any German car I've ever owed at almost half the cost (wife loves the idea of the A/C massaging seats) and it's time for a replacement on the Denali, I feel pretty confident in the choice.

• Like 2

I'm on tapatalk, so I don't see signatures and don't know what boat you have. Curious of the weight?

I wonder how many people are out there towing over 5000 pounds on a regular hitch? I see big wake boats and cruisers all the time behind vehicles that should have that 5k towing limit. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

At the risk of going off topic, isn't Duraburb still around? What hitch are they using to increase the tow capacity of the new Suburbans? I would think that is something you should be able to use on your SUV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2014 23 LSV, guess on the weight is 6,500.

The Suburban has the same problem as my existing Yukon (Class III and probably no good way to upgrade).

If I had to tow long distance I'd get one for the additional stability and peace of mind. But since the longest I tow is 4.5 hours (1-way) maybe 3x per year, it's not necessary.

If I were towing a travel trailer or some other big wind break then I'd use one. Used to use one with a car trailer that I hauled back and forth out west and never noticed a difference with or without it.

Where WDHs really make a difference is NOT at rest or a leisurely 35mph stroll to the ramp. It's at 70 mph where the static 750lb tongue weight being applied and lifting the front wheels increases to 1000-2000lbs after a series of dips and bumps.... Usually worst entering or exiting overpasses. 750lbs with momentum quickly becomes x2 to x3, lifting the front wheels off the ground reducing stability, braking and handling.

Night and day difference using a WDH. But yes a PITA 5 min process to hang and set the torsion bars. Don't forget the sway bar. Then you gotta remove and store that crap when not in use.

Edited by nyryan2001

I need to get a set of all season floor mats, anyone have experience with the Husky brand? Thoughts or others?

I have nifty brand in my f150. I like em. I have weather tech in the wife's mazda. No better, more money, same idea. The nifty ones I have are the molded type. If you search other threads some guys have used an oem type that look really nice. I believe ixfe has them.

I need to get a set of all season floor mats, anyone have experience with the Husky brand? Thoughts or others?

Do yourself a favor and get the OEM mats. They are a nice, thick, heavy rubber with deep channels and nubbed backing so they absolutely don't slide around (unlike Weatherjunk which are light, hard, plastic liners with slick backing).

Best part... you can find the oem mats on ebay for $80 ish. I actually found them for $75 shipped. Compare that to $250 from Weathercrap.

Oh, and I gotta say... I really luv my F150. It's a shame I gotta trade it in cuz it apparently can't tow my boat (despite the fact that it CRUSHES pulling the LSV uphill). Oh well, easy come easy go!

20131007_210129_zps73ef378a.jpg

20131007_205945_zpsf9a0d05d.jpg

20131007_205931_zps22c398c8.jpg

20131007_205740_zpse0ffb8ef.jpg

Edited by IXFE

For WI weather - Weathertech, or something similar that covers all of the carpeting. Otherwise you get the nice stripe of filth and salt on the carpets all around the floormats

• Like 2

Are you really going to get rid of your F150?

No, not immediately anyway. I was being sarcastic.

However, I do think it's pretty s***ty that the manufacturers deceive us like this. just for fun I went out and found the sticker under my tow receiver (see below). Ny is telling the truth. And if I was buying a new truck (i.e. when I replace this one), it will be a 3/4 ton diesel. Period. Not because the F150 can't do it... it can indeed do it better than probably any 1/2 ton truck or SUV. But the legal liability, however small it may be, feels real to me.

Btw... the implication of this is that all people who tow with 1/2 ton SUV's (and there are a lot of you) have the same issue.

20150503_170632_zpsbzymmdoe.jpg

Edited by IXFE

I think the OEM mats look good. Don't work for $#it! I bought a set of Weathertech for our Lincoln MKC and now going to get a set for my Explorer. Oldjeep said in our weather the work very good. And I have never had any issues with the mats moving around. The drivers side snap in but the others have never been moving around. Even in mud the heavy duty OEM mats just don't get it.