Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well . . . . F150 it is then

DAI

So I decided instead of dealing with a weight distribution hitch on the trailer, I will be trading the Yukon Denali for a 2015 F150 Platinum with the EcoBoost. I'm actually really impressed with Ford, they definitely stepped up their game for technology and quality. I will post pictures after I pick it up on Monday evening. Get some miles on it next week then use it to get the boat out of storage.

• Like 2

Class IV with the oil cooler (trailer tow package). I think the salesman was tired of me asking since I ask probably at least 6 time. The trailer monitoring system looks cool; interested to see what it does when the boat is hooked up.

Edited by DAI

Class IV. I think the salesman was tired of me asking since I ask probably at least 6 time. The trailer monitoring system looks cool; interested to see what it does when the boat is hooked up.

Well, I'd triple check that because their tow information online says both that it is a class 4 and that the max weight without weigh distribution is 5000lbs. Might be a misprint, but seems odd. Should be a sticker/stamp on the hitch that shows the rating though. FWIW, asking a car salesman about towing is like asking my mom about computers.

Bottom of page 4

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ford.com%2Fresources%2Fford%2Fgeneral%2Fpdf%2Ftowingguides%2F15RV%26TT_Ford_F150_r1_Jan12.pdf&ei=5xU8VY_WIYqLNuiMgMgH&usg=AFQjCNGvHDKumrd_WpAAoP-NofYPQjN4tg&sig2=1LyW8CtuDdCyPMwjjz2mVQ

Edited by oldjeep

I will have to check that on Monday before taking delivery. Seams odd that a class IV would be the same as a Class III

Could just be weird Ford documentation. Last ford I had, I had to buy an aftermarket hitch for because the factory stuff was too light, but that was a 2003.

Could just be weird Ford documentation. Last ford I had, I had to buy an aftermarket hitch for because the factory stuff was too light, but that was a 2003.

At least there should be an after market option (if necessary), unlike the Denali with hitch build into the rear bumper. Besides, that's the biggest I could go and still fit in the garage.

All the half tons are ~5000lb max weight carrying hitch tow unless you look at GM. And theirs are only higher because the haven't adopted SAE standards like all the other manufacturers.

So that's 10k in your head and by non certified 2009 standards. 5k if you are lucky by today's standards.

The odd thing is that after adopting the new tow rating standards, the Ram 1500 tow weights actually seem to have gone up. (By a whole 20 lbs in the case of my configuration)

Im having a hard tome believeing NY comments... So your saying this ford documentation is inaccurate? http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_f150.pdf

Seems like a liability to me for Ford if these numbers are untrue.

Inaccurate in what way? The part I was commenting in is bottom of page 3 where they are saying that their tow package hitch us only good for 5000lbs non weigh distrib, even though the tow package comes with a class 4

Im having a hard tome believeing NY comments... So your saying this ford documentation is inaccurate? http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_f150.pdf

Seems like a liability to me for Ford if these numbers are untrue.

Rob, by all means don't believe me. Read. 5k tow limit unless you use a WDH(with load bars and implies a sway bar). No amount of conniving or interpretation will change the numbers from what they are to what you want them to be. All the 1/2tons are pretty much like this except GM who doesn't follow the same standards as Ford, Ram, Toyota and Nissan.

5k limit:

post-15240-14300889263147_thumb.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001

Yep. The new Nissan Titan XD Cummins is alllllmost a 3/4ton truck, heavier frame, suspension and steering.

They are already advertising a SAE rated 12k+ max tow rating... I'm hoping to see a 7-8k regular tow rating.

Edited by nyryan2001

I think this is getting confusing. While NY is accurate in what he posted, it's just the rating of the receiver at 5,000#, not the truck.

To the OP....talk with the dealer before you take delivery. If it's not what you need, then you'll have some negotiating to do.

FWIW, I've been running F150's since 2004. The 2014 that I have no does not have the max to package, but the 2011 I had did. I've never had an issue towing loads up to 9,500# with any of them.

I'm on tapatalk, so I don't see signatures and don't know what boat you have. Curious of the weight?

I wonder how many people are out there towing over 5000 pounds on a regular hitch? I see big wake boats and cruisers all the time behind vehicles that should have that 5k towing limit. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

At the risk of going off topic, isn't Duraburb still around? What hitch are they using to increase the tow capacity of the new Suburbans? I would think that is something you should be able to use on your SUV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inland, that is inaccurate. Slow down and stop the liberal interpretations. It's in black and white.

The TRUCK's capacity without a WDH is 5k. Period. Has nothing to do with hitch capacity.