Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would I be getting a good deal?

minshall40

FWIW, the malibu "23 foot" boats were really 22.5' until 2004. Today's VLX is 22. Those boats aren't THAT big. The 2002 VLX will start to feel cramped with more than 5 people for sure.

IMHO this is easy if ya really want that boat. Make complete list of all things that need to be repaired ect...and get dealer quotes ect.. and work on price from there. Also look over trailer careful and maybe get it checked out. You may get a decent price but if ya have to fork out 2-5k first year or so,,,,how good was the "deal". Your neighbor will respect you for it and stay neighborly after the sale as well. Your doin the right thing w coming to the crew site, now put info down and make your list so you know what your getting into completely.

i appreciate the compliments! i have an 03 F150 super crew 4x4 also paid for but a large part of the reason is I'm still living at home going to school. Another question... has anyone ever lowballed or been lowballed 20% like that? id be almost embarrassed starting at 20k. Is that a good strategy or should I throw out closer to what id be willing to pay?

1. You have an f150 so you went up another notch in my book. Lol

2. Don't feel bad about lowballing a price. What is the worst that can happen...he'll say no. Tell him what you can afford and don't be afraid to move on to the next boat.

I have the same exact boat with little over 900 hours.

I'm mainly a wakeboarder but have been starting to surf more. Boat throws a great wake for wakeboarding with the stock MLS.

For the money I'll be keeping my boat for a few years but I can't justify spending a lot of money on a boat I use 3-4 months a year.

you can make a decent surf wave with 1100's or 750's in the rear lockers. Bag under the port side seat(normal riders) and a 650 bow sac. I'm doing the bow ballast this year but with just the 750's in the rear lockers and stock 500lb ski bag and wedge down I can't surf rope less.

Gas was great when I had the stock prop on it. 4 day lake trip I'd go through maybe 2 tanks and that's wakeboarding/surfing/skiing all day. I went up one prop to a 537 and still get decent gas consumption.

I'd go for it, it's a great platform for a first inboard. You can then learn what you want in the next boat. The boat should hold value.

23 foot boat is a huuuge boat. Don't really need all that, and like they said I'd have to weight it out quite a bit. Even if I were to consider, how is the wakeboard wake? Do those old malibus have PP?... You guys are making me feel better about haggling... I actually think I now want to drop my take it or leave it offer to 22k... I think that's fair especially since the math works well that's exactly 10% off of the asking price not too bad if you ask me..

It should have perfect pass on it.

Also could do a ghetto gate to get a decent wave.

• Like 1

lots of really good advice on this thread. if you're ana* about your stuff then the defects will always always always bother you until you fix them. figure that into the price. with some elbow grease and TLC I think that boat would hold its value pretty well. remember, you can but a lot of boat gas with a boat payment!

good luck!

I think its a great deal. if you don't buy it right now what will you do this weekend.... You could be on the water or spend another month or two not on the water looking for the perfect boat. this is your first boat not your last. go for it. I don't see anything you need that this boat does not have.

If you keep it nice even with over 1000 hours that would still be a $20,000 boat in a few years.

Dude don't worry about lowballing.

He will either

1. Accept your offer- then you know you paid too much

2. Counteroffer - Then you can decide if it is worth his counteroffer

3. He will whine and complain about it in that case you explain to him that it's nothing personal you just have a limited budget and ask for a counteroffer.

Its Craigslist. You have the money, he's asking for the money. If you show up ready to make a deal, you're serious enough.

If he wants to go get offended from a reasonable offer, he's not really interested in selling his boat- he's looking for compliments. All that said, its CL, go for it. Lowball all day. Cash talks.

$20k or walk away. Even if he counters. I bet he'll stop you when you're about to drive away and accept your offer. Works for me about 90% of the time.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

Send him a pic of 20k either on a bank statement (remember to block out your details) or a huge wad of cash in hand and say 'here is my budget, it's 20k'. Can we do a deal today hahaha

I agree I love bartering I think that does work a lot.. But being Arizona I'm sure someone would pay him his ask. Tomorrow though if it all goes well I can explain to him that all the time and headache he can save buy selling to be after only having it for sale 5 days. He can easily do many more lake tests it's convenient to sell to me. Again I thank everyone because no matter what they saved me a thousand dollars as I have lowered my maximum price to pay by another thousand dollars. 22k is not max anything under is more I can spend on accessories like sacs and boards

I get the feeling the boat has not been well cared for based on the OP's description and the add itself. Makes me wonder if it had regular mechanical maintenance, unless I missed that in the thread.

I've sold many boats, and there were always low ballers. If someone doesn't want to screw with negotiating, then they will list it as firm. or FIRM. It not, then some negotiating is probably planned in his price. It's business, just don't be a dork and waste a ton of his time and then spring the price. If the boat is decent, don't believe you're the only caller either.... or that he may not browse this forum. If that were my boat, my bottom would probably be 22k.

I'm a bit worried about that as well he said he has paperwork for a lot of the stuff though... Also how do I start the negotiation? Do I tell him what il give him or asking what he'd take then counter more?

I'm a bit worried about that as well he said he has paperwork for a lot of the stuff though... Also how do I start the negotiation? Do I tell him what il give him or asking what he'd take then counter more?

I don't believe in the idea that there's a magic negotiating method that will get you a better deal, he's another guy, just like you and me. Tell him that you've done your research, and that 20k is what your willing to pay. If he says no, be prepared to walk. If I were the seller I wouldn't lake test unless I had a deal negotiated though.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Watch an episode of fast and loud or wheeler dealers to get some basic idea. If the boat is in reasonable condition and you can make it work, buy it. If you get it for less than asking price, great. if not, don't worry about it. Declare victory and head out on the water. Your young and presumably free of overhead so you should recover well.

I really appreciate all of the feed back from everyone... I do also think that the boat is a inflated but like others said the Arizona market especially the greater PHX area is incredibly high from what i have noticed others paying for similar boats. my concern is really just depreciation in the coming year or two. I am not too concerned with the couple of gel coat knicks but there is equity in the boat not being pristine condition as he cannot get much more out of it. but as long as it CAN surf decent obviously not great but i will be content after buying a sac or two and a pump. I'm taking the lake test tomorrow and if everything goes perfect the MOST i would be willing to pay would be 23k I'm really hoping he would take 22k i think that is more than fair price, and if he wanted to meet in the middle at 22,500 I would be happy with my deal.

I bought my 02 in Phoenix two seasons ago for 22k. One thing I learned bringing her home, that damn desert sun dries everything out! In Denver I could fairly easily fetch 27k for mine but I would be taking out my stereo set up for that. Since I have owned it I have replaced the interior, carpet, minor engine things like sensors, traced down wiring issues, replaced perfect pass with stargazer, added FAE & a lot of ballast. I want a newer boat for surfing, we run a lot of weight, 900-1000 surf side rear, 600 center floor, 500 in the bow, wedge down, ghetto gate & it's a big wave with a decent pocket but nothing like the newer boats. For 22k I'd say get it, I've been really happy but I still have boat envy, but in the winter I am very glad my payment is less then $150.00

Edited by racer808

I could be mistaken but I highly doubt he's a member he seemed like just a dad that owned a boat for summers with family.. Maybe he is an owner but he isn't the most knowledgable person about the boat what scares me in fear of neglect

Uhm......is the seller a Crew member? Would be funny if he's reading all this. :)

aaaah, if seller is a solid crew member who changes oil every spring and every fall, rotates and balances the trailer tires, uses antifreeze, and hot sauce, and has an F-150, it's worth $36k all day long. Edited by Bozboat