Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 945 / ACME 2315 / ACME 1235 comparison

Fman

So the OJ 945 isn't a magic bullet. Im not surprised.

I think this industry could benefit from a revival of multiple ratio transmissions. A 2 or 3 speed electronic shift transmission that can only be changed in neutral to keep it simple and prevent the average idiot from wrecking something. You want to surf select 1, wakeboard 2, cruise 3. This tech already exists in my f150...........

• Like 2

Darkside are you saying you used 56 gallons in a single day?

Yes, one outing we went at it fairly hard that day. Fortunately gas is WAY cheaper this year!

I really used to question the 78 gallon tank on the MXZ, not anymore...

Edited by DarkSide

The gear ratio determines the size of the propeller. Various ratios, from say 1.26:1 to 1.76:1, are difficult to optimize with one size propeller. The best ratios to provide the best performance for the new wake specific, heavily loaded boats, are 1.7:1 to 2:1, assuming the builders allow enough clearance for the correct propeller diameter, 16.5" to 17", to best utilize the ratios. More diameter allows for better results with the props.

The cupping on our WAKEPRO V-3 props #915 - #925 - #945 - #948 is .110.

• Like 2

I had a full day on the water yesterday. Elevation 2100'

24 MXZ LS3

7 people on board. (Youngest 15) so all big people.

Wakeboard

Ballast setup

300 lead in bow, 350 lead lining transom on each side, only tank weight was "balancing" weight. Wedge 0~5 clicks depending on rider.

The prop handled this very well. Good hole shot fairly quick to plane, no issues.

Surfing

Same lead placement

Full MLS

1100's rear ~ probably 900 as they will not fill entirely.

Boat could not get past 10 MPH, RPM railed at 4k, that was all she could do, we shifted everyone except driver to the bow and was able to get to 11.5.

So we added 800 lb bow bag, boat would then hit 13. I tested this same setup earlier in the weej at 1700 ft. With 3 people and it worked well. I was even able to use wedge. So the additional elevation or people weight, 1000 or so pounds of people, coolers, etc was the breaking point. My 2419 handled this situation very will, the 945 just didn't have the torque needed to get the job done. The 2419 will plane and achieve cruising speeds weighted this way. The 945 is definitely NOT a 2419 substitute, maybe 2315, but for those of us that Neff that torque, the 2419 is still the ticket. I plan to swap back to the 2419 before my next full day trip.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a full day on the water yesterday. Elevation 2100'

24 MXZ LS3

7 people on board. (Youngest 15) so all big people.

Wakeboard

Ballast setup

300 lead in bow, 350 lead lining transom on each side, only tank weight was "balancing" weight. Wedge 0~5 clicks depending on rider.

The prop handled this very well. Good hole shot fairly quick to plane, no issues.

Surfing

Same lead placement

Full MLS

1100's rear ~ probably 900 as they will not fill entirely.

Boat could not get past 10 MPH, RPM railed at 4k, that was all she could do, we shifted everyone except driver to the bow and was able to get to 11.5.

So we added 800 lb bow bag, boat would then hit 13. I tested this same setup earlier in the weej at 1700 ft. With 3 people and it worked well. I was even able to use wedge. So the additional elevation or people weight, 1000 or so pounds of people, coolers, etc was the breaking point. My 2419 handled this situation very will, the 945 just didn't have the torque needed to get the job done. The 2419 will plane and achieve cruising speeds weighted this way. The 945 is definitely NOT a 2419 substitute, maybe 2315, but for those of us that Neff that torque, the 2419 is still the ticket. I plan to swap back to the 2419 before my next full day trip.

Sounds like the cup size helped the torque problem in your case. What prop are you going to for the higher elevations as it sounds like the 2419 needs a little help.

So the OJ 945 isn't a magic bullet. Im not surprised.

I think this industry could benefit from a revival of multiple ratio transmissions. A 2 or 3 speed electronic shift transmission that can only be changed in neutral to keep it simple and prevent the average idiot from wrecking something. You want to surf select 1, wakeboard 2, cruise 3. This tech already exists in my f150...........

No prop is going to be a magic bullet. Having a 2-3 speed trans is the only way that would help and what would the cost be to add this option? MB had it a few years back but like you said "shift only when in neutral" as people will blow the trans for sure.

2419 is back on. It provides the extra power i need. I would like to get RPM down a bit, but still need the power to push the weight. The 945 would be great if not for lack of power surfing heavy.

I thought about it a bit this z morning. I am losing 30HP vs guys at sea level. That is not much, but i was so close i bet at sea level it would have worked perfectly. Makes me think my next boat should be LSA. At 2100 the LS3 is only slightly different than a 410 at sea level. I really get what guys in Denver and SLC deal with now. Would be much worse there

I think I'm sold on the 1615. Was out yesterday with ~2800 and six people in the boat. It did great. Not sure it would handle elevation. I'm at 400 feet.

The wave was massive. Waist high.

• 1 month later...

I just put an Amce 2419 on my 07 LSV. (monsoon 340)

Great upgrade for wakeboarding and surfing. The performance I was looking for and I'm running near sea level. 300-500 ft.

• 2 weeks later...

so a little update of my own. I contacted Eric about exchanging my 945 for the 948. He agreed to exchange and the prop went out in the mail. Well in the meantime we started going to our regular lake @ approx 4k' elevation. Running the 2315, the prop did well, but would definitely "top out" surfing at about 12... just wouldn't go faster from there if we wanted to.

So I turned around and contacted Eric again to see about actually getting a LOWER pitched prop. Eric took some cup out of the 945 and sent it back. Used the prop this weekend and the boat can now pull a house. I was very pleased. RPMs are up about 200, which of course means that cruising at 4k rpms is limited to about 28 mph. such is life.

The prop will easily pull past 12mph surfing with 750s, four people in the boat, and no bow ballast. Good enough for me.

I drug the kids around on the tubes for over an hour and I'm really scared to check my resulting fuel consumption tho!

Shawn, I didn't have the experience I wanted with the 948. Top out surfing was around 11.4mph. I usually surf around 11.6-12mph. Cruise would not engage. Currently going to swap for a 945.

Edited by mrnate450r

Yeah I think a 948 would totally work for me at sea level. But I'm never down that low. Lowest I get is shasta (might work there) but when we are at shasta the boat is full of people. I'm thinking 2315 there and my un-cupped 945 at altitude.

Yeah I think a 948 would totally work for me at sea level. But I'm never down that low. Lowest I get is shasta (might work there) but when we are at shasta the boat is full of people. I'm thinking 2315 there and my un-cupped 945 at altitude.

I ran 2315 at Shasta last week and it was money. I'm keeping it on my boat even for sea level.

Ironically the 2315 runs lower rpms than 1235 I just took off... must be the prop slippage of the 14.5" vs. 15"