Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side by side comparison of boat detailing products… ?

ibelonginprison

The oxidation remover is a strong cutting polish, most likely. If you go over it with a finishing polish you'll see even more shine/depth.

Or - just accept the fact that it's a boat, not a show car, and hit the water instead. haha

I haven't done a full paint correction detail on mine yet. But when I do I'll post up the steps, products used, and results. You can either follow in my footsteps, or learn from my mistakes and go in another direction. :)

I can't wait to see what the menzerna 2500 power finish does.

• Like 1

I bought a bottle of the heavy oxidization remover as well. I've dedicated the weekend to do it. Luckily its still cold in these parts so I have a couple more weekends before I put her in for the year.

Yeah, you can't look at a boat and expect perfection. You'll never put the boat in the water if you think that way.

• Like 1

It literally took less than 30 minutes easy to both get the oxidation off and then polish it. I looked at that transom all last summer and wandered about trying it. Wish I had done it a lot sooner

I did 1/2 the transom and don't know why I didn't take a pic. It was night and day. I was so pumped about it that I have a friend(he has a Nautique now) but his family has an old Mastercraft with the stars on it(grew up skiing behind this boat) and it is heavily oxidated. I told him we could remove all that and polish it in a morning. I would really like to try it and see. I'm sure there are better tools, pads whatever out there but for a 1st timer and my situation the result and ease was over the top for me personally

Dope, thanks Bunji. I stumbled across that one over the winter but couldn't find it for some reason when I looked yesterday. Thanks for the link, I'll use that list (except McGuires... that's what people use when they don't know any better :p ) and make some decisions on which ones to order and compare.

Whenever I pull the boat out, it's one of my favorite things to take 20-30 minutes for my wife and I to pull to the side and unwind a little bit while we wipe things down and get the boat cleaned up after a day on the water. That's when it's the end of the day, and people aren't in such a rush - so they don't mind coming over and talking. We meet lots of folks who come over and ask about the boat, or just chat about the water conditions today etc. It's a nice way to finish up the day.

It's also a good time to get intimate with the boat and make sure you spot any maintenance items that might have popped up. The more you know about your tub, the more you will notice the nuances if something changes with it.

Curious . . . What's your knock on McGuires?

I've used Speed Gloss, Hot Sauce, BTS, and Babes water spot remover but I like Hula Surf Away Detailer the best as a daily water spot remover and Detailer. No streaking whatsoever, no extra rubbing needed, shiny and slick finish, and smells great. My boat remains 100% spotless with just this product. Note: I do realize lakes and rivers vary so mineral content probably plays a factor in everyone's results. I do like that Hula Boat Care products are made in Austin, Texas and started by a gentleman who worked for 3M for a long time.

Edited by AJWest

Curious . . . What's your knock on McGuires?

I don't necessarily have anything against McGuires. For most people that shop and buy their detailing supplies at Autozone it's fine.

But McGuires is like Bose. It's manufactured and marketed for the masses. It's good enough for the majority of the consumers out there, but if you are really serious about home audio, you're going to move up to Paradigm, B&W, Axiom, Magnepan, etc. and some of the more custom brands.

But for instance, I can tell a difference in how my paint feels if I were to use McGuires wax, vs. Dodo Juice supernatural wax. Without question, there's a difference to me. I can tell a difference in how it looks on the carbon fiber when it's side by side.

Would 98% of the people out there notice? No. But I do.

Plus, the stuff I use goes on easy, and the majority of it wipes off with one pass, then flip the towel and do another pass to finish.

As for Menzerna sealant, well - I don't know that McGuires even makes anything like that.

I've used Speed Gloss, Hot Sauce, BTS, and Babes water spot remover but I like Hula Surf Away Detailer the best as a daily water spot remover and Detailer. No streaking whatsoever, no extra rubbing needed, shiny and slick finish, and smells great. My boat remains 100% spotless with just this product. Note: I do realize lakes and rivers vary so mineral content probably plays a factor in everyone's results. I do like that Hula Boat Care products are made in Austin, Texas and started by a gentleman who worked for 3M for a long time.

Hm, might be something to add to the list.

Polish compound (you'd need a finishing polish on top of this, though)

http://products.hulaboatcare.com/?page_id=1149

And they have a sealant - so I might be able to compare this to the Menzerna and see how the water sheets and how long it lasts comparatively speaking.

http://products.hulaboatcare.com/?page_id=1348

Edited by ibelonginprison

I don't necessarily have anything against McGuires. For most people that shop and buy their detailing supplies at Autozone it's fine.

But McGuires is like Bose. It's manufactured and marketed for the masses. It's good enough for the majority of the consumers out there, but if you are really serious about home audio, you're going to move up to Paradigm, B&W, Axiom, Magnepan, etc. and some of the more custom brands.

But for instance, I can tell a difference in how my paint feels if I were to use McGuires wax, vs. Dodo Juice supernatural wax. Without question, there's a difference to me. I can tell a difference in how it looks on the carbon fiber when it's side by side.

Would 98% of the people out there notice? No. But I do.

Plus, the stuff I use goes on easy, and the majority of it wipes off with one pass, then flip the towel and do another pass to finish.

As for Menzerna sealant, well - I don't know that McGuires even makes anything like that.

Cool . . .thanks

Well it worked! I used the Meguires one step compound with a Lake Country orange foam pad, polisher set to the lowest speed and I slowly worked the product until dry. Wiped it off and miraculously all of the hazing was removed. Unfortunately along the mid part of the hull where most of the hazing occurred, the shrink wrap line pressed quite firmly against the hull. The result is some indentations which are barely visible unless you are inches away. All that to say that the hazing is gone and the hull looks great. I followed up on the compound with the Meguires Pure Wax Carnuba blend to seal it all in. I'm considering hitting it once more with some Hot Sauce, but as someone mentioned the hot sauce seems to cut through that waxy feel. Pictures to follow.

• Like 1

Glad it worked out! Super happy for you.

Hot Sauce is a quick detailer. Use it when you wipe the boat down after pulling it out for the day. Sealant/wax will give you the best result for now.

I just picked up a bottle of Hot Sauce. I'm going to start testing it out.

Edited by ibelonginprison

The water in our are is still low, so I'll likely have another weekend to add some more wax to the hull. When I did use the Hot Sauce it made the hull look great. I'm a big fan of Boat Bling products so far. I'm really stoked to get the Vinyl Sauce.

I also ordered some vinyl conditioning sauce. Supposed to be 100% uv protection.

I'm going to take a yard of red vinyl and cut a piece off to keep inside for a control piece. Then divide the last section into 1/3's

1. 303

2. Sauce

3. No protection.

Then I'm going to leave it outside all summer. I'll periodically apply the sauce and 303 every couple weeks, then we'll see how well each one does at the end of the season compared to the unprotected, and the control piece.

Now I'm on the look out for a chrome polish. My tower (G3) needs some shine to it, as do my racks. I've looked at the Meguire's polish but after inspecting my tower there are spots I feel will need some extra work.

I have a Mother's Power cone I use to polish up my car rims. I plan on using this to get my racks shined up. I read in an old thread that the tower is not chrome, but stainless steel. My appliances at home are also considered stainless steel and certainly are not reflective like my tower. Can someone clarify?

Now I'm on the look out for a chrome polish. My tower (G3) needs some shine to it, as do my racks. I've looked at the Meguire's polish but after inspecting my tower there are spots I feel will need some extra work.

I have a Mother's Power cone I use to polish up my car rims. I plan on using this to get my racks shined up. I read in an old thread that the tower is not chrome, but stainless steel. My appliances at home are also considered stainless steel and certainly are not reflective like my tower. Can someone clarify?

Racks should be chrome plated.

Tower - that's above my paygrade. lol Is it stainless and not aluminum? I honestly don't know.

For just cleaning up aluminum I use an old container of mothers that I've had for a while.

For bringing something back from the dead I use a cloth polishing/buffing wheel on an angle grinder and different compound bars.