Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side by side comparison of boat detailing products… ?

ibelonginprison

check this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797159

If you are wiping down after every use, babes boat bright is good. It doesn't do a good job on hard water spots, but it leaves a waxy residue behind (in a good way). Boat Bling hot sauce is great at removing your average hard water spots, but it doesn't leave the surface feeling waxed. It feels stripped. I tried the quick wax, thinking it would be an easy thing after hot sauce, but it takes a decent amount of elbow grease as it requires buff then wipe off steps.

I try to use boat bling for frequent cleaning, hot sauce then quickie sauce maybe every 2-3 weeks, and of course vinyl cleaning and 303 protectant all the time. I am little crazy about the interior. I preferred the babes vinyl cleaner, just because of the great smell, but babes spray bottles suck. The boat bling spray bottles do such a higher volume per spray that i use those bottles, even if they aren't filled with boat bling product.

Babes Vinyl cleaner then Babes Conditioner is awesome. I love the smell too. I usually give the boat one good wax per season then use Babes Spray on wax after each cleaning. Best spray on wax ever! Babes hard water spot remover works really well. You just can't overspray because it will leave a white residue on it. If you use just enough the water spots on a black hull will go away.

What do you use the 303 protectant on?

Babes Vinyl cleaner then Babes Conditioner is awesome. I love the smell too. I usually give the boat one good wax per season then use Babes Spray on wax after each cleaning. Best spray on wax ever! Babes hard water spot remover works really well. You just can't overspray because it will leave a white residue on it. If you use just enough the water spots on a black hull will go away.

I did a group buy of the 303 protectant gallon a year or 2 ago, so I am working my way through that still. I use it on everything interior, except for the bimini and boat cover. Remember reading on here 303 is great for vinyl, dash, rubber, fiberglass, but NOT for fabrics like the bimini or boat cover.

• Like 2

Everything that would be affected by UV.

Vinyl / rubber mostly. The stuff really is some of the best protection out there. There's usually no argument about that from most detailers, you'll only find that some of them may not like the finish that it leaves, but the protection is top notch. I don't use 303 inside my car (because the windows add UV protection) and I like a matte finish for my interior detailing products rather than a glossy/shiny finish. I have something that I use that leaves the perfect finish. Dark, rich look, but zero shine or greasy feel. It just looks like a brand new car. It's wonderful. BUT - 303 on anything that sits outside like a boat is the only option for me, as far as I'm concerned.

Vinyl cleaner - I've heard that the Boat Bling vinyl sauce was the best cleaner. I tried several others and so far the BB vinyl sauce is the best I've used.

3M, 409, Fantastic, "bleach products" (staying away from the stitching since bleach supposedly weakens the threads) - and the sauce outdid them all for the most part.

I did a magic eraser on a small area of vinyl to test this out - it will eat away the top finish. Hands down only use a magic eraser if this is the last ditch, only option available and the stain causes you nightmares, because the vinyl will be damaged (even if not visibly the first few uses) and if you use it too hard it will BECOME visibly damaged and stain/discolor in that area a LOT faster than other areas. Think of it like using a cutting polish (or really fine grit sandpaper) - it'll "work" the first few times, but you're tearing down that top layer bit by bit every time you use it, and there's only so much that vinyl can take before it shows the damage from this type of cleaning.

If I hear from a couple people that babes has something that cleans better than the BB sauce, I'll order a jug right meow! lol

303 also makes a water repellent for canvas, I use it on my cover. (not the "protectant")

I'm not sold that it's the best canvas water repellent on the planet yet - but it does keep the canvas from fading in my experience and it repels water pretty nicely.

I'll be trying something a little more specific to water repelling next time and see how it works.

When you say boat bling vinyl sauce are you referring to the conditioning sauce or the actual vinyl sauce?

I picked up both the Hot Sauce and Conditioning sauce. Haven't used the conditioning sauce yet as I put my boat away sparking clean, but I want to know if it has the same properties as 303? I was planning on putting 303 on it either way.

This: http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-VS-Detailing-Product/dp/B006GJYKWI

I haven't used the conditioner, but the detailer/cleaner above was the best I tried out of the several that I bought at the store.
When I bought the boat it had always had 303 protectant used by the previous owner..... but I don't think it was ever CLEANED. (I think the previous owner thought the 303 was also a cleaner... which it's not. lol)

Everything that would be affected by UV.

Vinyl / rubber mostly. The stuff really is some of the best protection out there. There's usually no argument about that from most detailers, you'll only find that some of them may not like the finish that it leaves, but the protection is top notch. I don't use 303 inside my car (because the windows add UV protection) and I like a matte finish for my interior detailing products rather than a glossy/shiny finish. I have something that I use that leaves the perfect finish. Dark, rich look, but zero shine or greasy feel. It just looks like a brand new car. It's wonderful. BUT - 303 on anything that sits outside like a boat is the only option for me, as far as I'm concerned.

Vinyl cleaner - I've heard that the Boat Bling vinyl sauce was the best cleaner. I tried several others and so far the BB vinyl sauce is the best I've used.

3M, 409, Fantastic, "bleach products" (staying away from the stitching since bleach supposedly weakens the threads) - and the sauce outdid them all for the most part.

I did a magic eraser on a small area of vinyl to test this out - it will eat away the top finish. Hands down only use a magic eraser if this is the last ditch, only option available and the stain causes you nightmares, because the vinyl will be damaged (even if not visibly the first few uses) and if you use it too hard it will BECOME visibly damaged and stain/discolor in that area a LOT faster than other areas. Think of it like using a cutting polish (or really fine grit sandpaper) - it'll "work" the first few times, but you're tearing down that top layer bit by bit every time you use it, and there's only so much that vinyl can take before it shows the damage from this type of cleaning.

If I hear from a couple people that babes has something that cleans better than the BB sauce, I'll order a jug right meow! lol

I got a gallon of the wax. I will give you some....so you learn what's good. Afun teaches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone used the Vinyl protectant from Boat Candy? It states it has UV protectant in it as well.

I just finished doing my interior with their vinyl clean followed by the vinyl conditioner (protectant). did the same process last year. The clean plus a soft brush does a good job cleaning the vinyl. I've been pretty happy with their speed gloss as well. If you email them, they will give you a discount code equivalent to group buy discounts.

I used the Boat Bling vinyl conditioning sauce this past weekend and wow what a difference. It really gets right into the vinyl and makes it feel leathery without the greasy feeling. Plus it smells awesome.

I also used the Hot Sauce on my hull and it took away all the water spots in seconds. I am now on the hunt for a solid wax and buff product combination to take off some hazing on my hull. During the shipping process the shrink wrap left a haze along the hull and I am trying to be cautious on how to approach it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I used the Boat Bling vinyl conditioning sauce this past weekend and wow what a difference. It really gets right into the vinyl and makes it feel leathery without the greasy feeling. Plus it smells awesome.

I also used the Hot Sauce on my hull and it took away all the water spots in seconds. I am now on the hunt for a solid wax and buff product combination to take off some hazing on my hull. During the shipping process the shrink wrap left a haze along the hull and I am trying to be cautious on how to approach it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I used the vinyl sauce this morning on the seat back before I put it back in the boat. I took some "before and after" pics to show the difference. I'll do a thread about it in a bit.

But yes, that stuff is amazing.

As for the haze - I'd start with a polish that has a light cut to it and a light polishing pad. If you're just trying to get some shine back and not do a true paint correction to get rid of swirls, scratches etc. - then a light polish will give you a good result.

Something like this polish:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/PO106FA-Nano-Polish-Super-Finish-P228/16-oz-S1/

And this pad:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/Blue-Fine-Finishing-Pad-P61/55-inch-S2/

If you need some more correction, then you could use something a little stronger like this polish:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/Power-Finish-PF-2500-PO203-P649/16-oz-S1/

The same pad.

Is it the whole boat, or just in small, small sections?

Edited by ibelonginprison

I used the vinyl sauce this morning on the seat back before I put it back in the boat. I took some "before and after" pics to show the difference. I'll do a thread about it in a bit.

But yes, that stuff is amazing.

As for the haze - I'd start with a polish that has a light cut to it and a light polishing pad. If you're just trying to get some shine back and not do a true paint correction to get rid of swirls, scratches etc. - then a light polish will give you a good result.

Something like this polish:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/PO106FA-Nano-Polish-Super-Finish-P228/16-oz-S1/

And this pad:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/Blue-Fine-Finishing-Pad-P61/55-inch-S2/

If you need some more correction, then you could use something a little stronger like this polish:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/Power-Finish-PF-2500-PO203-P649/16-oz-S1/

The same pad.

Is it the whole boat, or just in small, small sections?

It's the length of the hull. From the Malibu logo to the bow Looks like a synthesizer band. I have been skeptical on what to use so far until I know what exactly I should apply to the hull. It's definitely not swirls, and looks like it will need something strong to correct it. WHat I can tell you is if I run my hand across it I don't feel a difference in texture.

Menzerna! Yes! Great stuff.

I like the power finish.

In general, I tend to like the Menzerna stuff the most as far as polish choices and of course the power lock sealant.

I'm not a brand whore, but if I was they would be my poison of choice. ha

Chemical Guys optical cutting polish is a good product as well, I just like that Menzerna has a lot of steps in between "I'm trying to take out deep scratches" and "I just want it shiny."

What are the thoughts on 3M Finesse it or the 3M Marine Wax restorer?

Haven't tried it.

Tried the 3M marine vinyl cleaner and it was "meh" - the Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce blew it away with ease, so I don't bother with any of their other stuff.

Plus - as far as polishes go, I have my automotive preferences. When it comes time to do some paint correction on the gel coat I'll definitely grab one or two other "marine products" and compare them to my Menzerna and Chemical Guys stuff.

Star Brite marine polish with PTEF is the best stuff I've used on the hull.

The question is... is it really a phenomenal polish? Or just super abrasive with a lot of cutting power to it and you see results more quickly? I'm happy to try it if it's good stuff.

Polishes are a little counter-intuitive for the most part, you want to use the least cut you can, and still get done what you want to get done. (whether it's just a little more shine/depth, or various levels of paint correction)

I need a consistent marine cutting product. I don't think I have a deep scratch but its hazed from the shrinkwrap. I'm not sure what to pick up, but I know it will be a two step process: cut, polish, and probably two types of pads. Now what do I get lads? I want to tackle this project on the weekend. I'd prefer to stay with a marine/gel coat specific product line.

I can understand completely, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you on marine specific cutting or finishing polishes.

I've read good things about Aquabuff. They have a 1000 for cutting, and a 2000 that's more for finishing. But I have no experience with it so I'm hesitant to point you in the direction of anything that I have not tried myself. But if you want to check it out let me know how you like it.

Gelcoat in detailing principle isn't thhhhhhat much different than clear coat in the automotive world as far as the *process* you take for paint correction. A haze would probably come out with a very light polish. Likely even by hand, if it's just in small areas. However a buffer and the right polish / pad combo will make quick work of the whole boat. My love for certain detailing products stem from three factors - 1. effectiveness, the sh** has to work 2. ease of application, if it takes a rocket scientist and math to make a product "work" then there are lots of other products out there that are more simple to use 3. ease of removal, I'm not afraid of a little elbow grease, but if it takes me leaning on it like I was kneading bread dough then no thanks. There are plenty of products that wipe off with one or two passes of a microfiber.

What buffer are you using? Something like a Porter Cable? Or a little more home grown like a da sander with some pads on it?

In the end if you use a good pad, then whatever polish you use will likely be fine. My advice:

1. test small areas before moving to larger, more visible areas

2. slow, patient, and consist is the key when polishing.

3. lots of clean microfiber towels.

I would do a test area with a finishing polish to see if that handles business before using a cutting polish on the whole boat, unless you REALLY want to do a two stage polish, regardless.
As for pads, the Lake Country pads are pretty popular, but I have also had good results with the Chemical Guys stuff. And they sell packages together. Cutting, fine, and finishing - bundled together. They're in Cali though, so where you live would depend on how quickly it would get to you.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Hex_Logic_5_5_Buffing_Pad_Kit_4_Items_p/hex_3kit_5.htm

Using a Makita polisher. Might pick up a Porter Cable one, they seem to be widely accepted as the standard in detailing.

Spoke to a few buddies with larger dark hull cruisers (one of which experienced the same shrink-wrap issue as me) and performance boats. They recommended the Meguire One Step compound first using a Lake Country orange cutting pad. That should take out pretty much anything that doesn't require an extravagant gel correction job. Follow that up with some pure wax/wax sealant with a white lake country pad, finished up with some gloss detailer/finisher and a black pad or by hand.

My worry is definitely messing it up, but going with a lighter cut should take care of my issue without worry. First step is to start in an inconspicuous area and make my way around the hull. I'll try to take some before and after pics.

I had an oxidation problem on my transom(maybe not the same as what u have) but use Meguiar's DFC6 Foam cutting disc and Meguiar's M4916 Marine Heavy Duty Oxidation remover and had amazing results. Was really easy