Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side by side comparison of boat detailing products… ?

ibelonginprison

I'm posting THIS one here, because I'm looking for feedback/interest in me actually doing something like this. If I go through with it I'll create a thread in maint. forum for it since that will be "the right place" for something like that.

Is there any interest from you guys if someone did a few side by side comparisons with some typical boat detailing products? Like quick detailer for when you pull the boat out of the water?

I searched around and didn’t find anything quite like this, so if I missed it somewhere then just point me in that direction…

I have my stuff that I’ve used for automotive applications and I’ve researched a lot of different products. Now I’m starting to get curious if the boat stuff is truly “better” because it’s focused for gel coat, or if it’s just the same stuff and I can keep using what I have on hand and still have the best product.

For me, in the automotive world, I’ve found the perfect combo of clay lubricant, polish, cleaner, sealant and wax that literally makes the paint feel “soft” when you run your fingers across it. So I haven’t been on the hunt for new stuff because I’m super happy with what I’ve been using. (I threw away all my other crap, like McGuires and Eagle etc. when I discovered the real stuff.) But if enough people are interested, I may order a couple of popular products and just do an “opinion comparison” based on real world usage in the Marine world.

It wouldn’t be scientific, I don’t have any method for measuring shine or gloss, or cost/value per ounce. But I’ve been detailing cars for a couple decades, have used A LOT of different products and have fairly good detailing product evaluation skills. I’d like to see how well a few “mists” of each product goes on, wipes off, clears the water/spots off of the paint and also leaves the wax/protectant in place. Of course I may also try some wax, sealants etc. later on to see what works better, or if the automotive stuff is just as advanced and you dont' have to have two separate "detailing stockpiles" - one for cars, one for boats. (it's a lot cheaper if you can just use one set)

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in some side by side videos.

I think they are all good nowadays. It's more about actually using them on a regular/consistent basis, ie after every outing. As long as you are using something specifically made for Gelcoat frequently, it will keep the boat protected and looking great.

Here is an old post of peoples opinions on different products.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46491-detailing-products-shootout/page-2?hl=+babes%20+boat

Edited by bunji169

Dope, thanks Bunji. I stumbled across that one over the winter but couldn't find it for some reason when I looked yesterday. Thanks for the link, I'll use that list (except McGuires... that's what people use when they don't know any better :p ) and make some decisions on which ones to order and compare.

Whenever I pull the boat out, it's one of my favorite things to take 20-30 minutes for my wife and I to pull to the side and unwind a little bit while we wipe things down and get the boat cleaned up after a day on the water. That's when it's the end of the day, and people aren't in such a rush - so they don't mind coming over and talking. We meet lots of folks who come over and ask about the boat, or just chat about the water conditions today etc. It's a nice way to finish up the day.

It's also a good time to get intimate with the boat and make sure you spot any maintenance items that might have popped up. The more you know about your tub, the more you will notice the nuances if something changes with it.

Interested. I will be buffing some oxidation out of mine once I pull it out of storage and will want to keep it perfect after that.

Since you have referred to your car products, what do you like/recommend on auto's?

I just spent ~ 9 hours compounding my boat with various compounds and polishes… both marine and auto formulas. I can tell you that there is a difference between the marine and auto formulas. For example, I was getting so frustrated with 3M Finesse-it and then realized that I wasn't using the marine version. So I purchased the marine version and it was so much easier to work with. You can tell that the marine version has more lubricating properties as it didn't glaze over as fast, therefore it had more working time. I am also a huge fan of sanding with multiple grits prior to compounding which saves a lot of time and energy!

• Like 1

Got to put a plug in for a product just tried this morning. Had bad lake water marks on the hull that honestly have been on there since I boat the boat(2 years). Boat some Starbrite Hull cleaner and it is absolutely as white as it can be with no scrubbing. Very impressed

The one time I used the boat candy speed gloss I was not impressed. Left a haze. Probably going back to babes.

I had the exact same first impression! Try using less product!!

• Like 1

The one time I used the boat candy speed gloss I was not impressed. Left a haze. Probably going back to babes.

Yes too much product also use 2 micro fiber towels, One to get most of it off and then go back over it with a clean one, I did the same thing when I first used it, Still for me the best spot remover I have used,

I used Boat Bling Hot sauce this weekend on a red hull that had some serious water spots and it did a bang up job. I did notice that if you have any sort of oxidization, the Hot Sauce will just haze right up. Luckily, this was not my boat I was working on.

I'm looking for a solid quick detailer I can plaster on each weekend to keep things looking shiny without doing a full on wax. Though I found the Hot Sauce to be excellent on polishing up my jetski that is all black, it does take some work to get it all in. I highly recommend the two rag system.

I'm going to try the hot sauce next to my Chemical Guys V7 quick detailer and see how they work comparatively.

Then I'm going to try the speed gloss.

My biggest test for the Speed Gloss vs. the others will be the harshness on existing wax coats.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about water spots on my lake really, it's always been very easy to spray and wipe. However, my water at the house leaves nasty water spots on paint/windows - so I definitely have a platform to at least test waterspot removal tendencies. Pretty good proving ground for water spot removal is my sunroof. lol

I'll also compare the speed gloss to a 1:2 or 1:4 vinegar:water ratio and see if it's similar.

On all tests, having good protection (water beading/sheeting ability is about the best test I can think of) after 3-4 uses will be something I'll pay attention to.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on Fast Wax:

http://www.fw1.com.au

If not tried it yet, but my daughters new job is to sell it!! Online reviews seem very mixed...

Haven't tried it.

Typically I'm skeptical of anything that says "cleaner" and "wax" in the same sentence. :)

I don't want my wax to clean. I have stuff for cleaning and paint correction. I want my wax focus on having excellent optical and protection properties.... ha

I have been using Babes entire line of products and Meguiars boat wax. Almost running out. Will try that hot sauce, or whatever it is for detailing black boats.

I have been using Babes entire line of products and Meguiars boat wax. Almost running out. Will try that hot sauce, or whatever it is for detailing black boats.

I tried Hot Sauce on your boat and it wouldn't pull up the spots on the black. However, It works wonders on my white boat. Best stuff I've used so far.

check this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797159

If you are wiping down after every use, babes boat bright is good. It doesn't do a good job on hard water spots, but it leaves a waxy residue behind (in a good way). Boat Bling hot sauce is great at removing your average hard water spots, but it doesn't leave the surface feeling waxed. It feels stripped. I tried the quick wax, thinking it would be an easy thing after hot sauce, but it takes a decent amount of elbow grease as it requires buff then wipe off steps.

I try to use boat bling for frequent cleaning, hot sauce then quickie sauce maybe every 2-3 weeks, and of course vinyl cleaning and 303 protectant all the time. I am little crazy about the interior. I preferred the babes vinyl cleaner, just because of the great smell, but babes spray bottles suck. The boat bling spray bottles do such a higher volume per spray that i use those bottles, even if they aren't filled with boat bling product.