Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 2016 product line info?

DarkSide

I still think they look better, but apparently I'm alone in this :dontknow:

20140507_172100_zpsoqnsj9dr.jpg

I think they look better too! Personally I like the chrome, but my dealer was out of them...so I have black with chrome accents...next best thing I guess

The local Supra dealer mentioned that the Ford engines will not fit in to a Malibu. Any truth to that? They're all about the same width so that did not make sense to me but I have nothing to validate this or debunk it.

I heard BU didn't want to re-engineer their engine compartment to make them fit for 2015. Case in point, MB put them in for 2015, but engineering wasn't great. Have to pull the motor to change the starter :( String is in the way. Yikes..

• Like 2

So..... I've been really racking my brain on this tire thing. Turns out SD is right... contact area (not shape) is the same because it's driven by load. My bad on that one.

The interwebs are full of debates on whether wider is better for braking. So I'll stay out of that one.

I still think they look better, but apparently I'm alone in this :dontknow:

20140507_172100_zpsoqnsj9dr.jpg

It's not that I don't like how they look, i just don't see the point in blinging out a trailer. I want my boat to pretty, my trailer to be safe effcient and reliable. I just don't see the point of making the trailer that much more expensive to maintain

It's not that I don't like how they look, i just don't see the point in blinging out a trailer. I want my boat to pretty, my trailer to be safe effcient and reliable. I just don't see the point of making the trailer that much more expensive to maintain

I'm with you, however, I do keep my boat on a hoist and only use the trailer a couple times a year. I was dissapointed on the wheels though. The stock wheels were rusty when I took delivery. Ended up getting the alloy wheels. If I ever order another boat new, I will get the alloy wheels upfront.

If I was in the market for a used boat, I would not pay a dime more for a blinged trailer. I don't think it adds anything to the resale of the boat.

I'm with you, however, I do keep my boat on a hoist and only use the trailer a couple times a year. I was dissapointed on the wheels though. The stock wheels were rusty when I took delivery. Ended up getting the alloy wheels. If I ever order another boat new, I will get the alloy wheels upfront.

If I was in the market for a used boat, I would not pay a dime more for a blinged trailer. I don't think it adds anything to the resale of the boat.

Upgraded wheels would actually cause a boat to be lower on my list if I was buying used. Just means it's that much closer to me having to shell out 1000-1500 for new tires vs 500-700 on the 14s. Trailers take a beating, blining them out just adds more expense and things to go wrong

Upgraded wheels would actually cause a boat to be lower on my list if I was buying used. Just means it's that much closer to me having to shell out 1000-1500 for new tires vs 500-700 on the 14s. Trailers take a beating, blining them out just adds more expense and things to go wrong

Dude, you are clueless. $1500 for new tires... are you serious?? There are tons of tires in that size for less than $150/ea. And exactly how often do you guys change trailer tires?? It's not a car, it's a trailer.

$1500.... that's rich! I spent less than than on the wheels and the tires.

• Like 2

Well in IXFE's defense, he doesn't keep his boats long enough to replace an impeller, let alone get a new set of tires for the trailer.

When was the last time you bought trailer tires, Shawn?

I think it's funny when guys who have owned 3 boats in 5-7 years don't think they are boat flippers.

Dude, you are clueless. $1500 for new tires... are you serious?? There are tons of tires in that size for less than $150/ea. And exactly how often do you guys change trailer tires?? It's not a car, it's a trailer.

$1500.... that's rich! I spent less than than on the wheels and the tires.

Why are you so butt hurt all the time? On my vtx the low profile tires were $250 so $1250 for all five plus tax. Just going off of previous exp. On avg you should replace your trailer tires every 2-3 years due to the fact that they sit half the year, especially if you don't have indoor storage. They aren't like car tires where tread is the only factor. Now if you're going the cheapest route, like it appears you are, then you may want to make sure you're doing it every 2 years. That makes me even less likely to buy the trailer.

Sorry I'll just stick with 14s where the $150 is going to get me good high end tires.

Simple, bigger wheels might add a small amount of value.....but the rest of the "bling", I disagree. Especially gawdy rims. That would be a turn off to me

I think it depends on where you live. You just don't see many blinged out trailers up here - the launch I use always has around 15 ski/wake trailers and they are all the more basic setups like my boatmate. I don't spend any time looking at my trailer and assume nobody else does either.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Why are you so butt hurt all the time? On my vtx the low profile tires were $250 so $1250 for all five plus tax. Just going off of previous exp. On avg you should replace your trailer tires every 2-3 years due to the fact that they sit half the year, especially if you don't have indoor storage. They aren't like car tires where tread is the only factor. Now if you're going the cheapest route, like it appears you are, then you may want to make sure you're doing it every 2 years. That makes me even less likely to buy the trailer.

Sorry I'll just stick with 14s where the $150 is going to get me good high end tires.

Earlier you said it was $300/tire. Now it's $250. Which is it CJAY? And do they only charge tax on 18" tires??

One post I'm extravagant, then you call me cheap. Nice, dude. Here are several examples to 255/45R18 tires for what you pay for your 14's. None of these are "cheap" brands. In fact, I'm running the same tire used by Boatmate and shipped with new Malibus.

Sumitomo HTR Z III $122/ea.

Kuhmo Ecsta LE Sport KU39 $139/ea.

Nitto NT555 $140/ea. (used by Boatmate)

Falken FK452 $161/ea.

Nexen NFERA SU1 $169/ea. (used by Boatmate)

If you paid $250, you got ripped off. Sorry.

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1

From a functional standpoint I'd rather have the 14's - basically because mine is a garage boat and I occasionally curb a tire putting it into the driveway if there are a lot of cars on the street. I don't think that 18's would stop me from buying a trailer if I liked the boat - if they were something that I considered gaudy (rockstars) then it would be an easy thing to swap them out when it was convenient.

To Malibus new trailers - look fine to me, its a trailer. Wonder if they will still have the options for the bedliner covered fenders, every picture posted was shiny. That is one of my favorite things about my current trailer since we use them as steps everytime the boat is used - good traction and you can't really scratch them up.

Earlier you said it was $300/tire. Now it's $250. Which is it CJAY? And do they only charge tax on 18" tires??

One post I'm extravagant, then you call me cheap. Nice, dude. Here are several examples to 255/45R18 tires for what you pay for your 14's. None of these are "cheap" brands. In fact, I'm running the same tire used by Boatmate and shipped with new Malibus.

Falken FK452 $161/ea.

Wow you take this stuff really personal. No one called you cheap, I just made a statement that I'm not going to buy 18" tires and go low end I'd rather have the upper end safer 14s. I'll have to look them up, they were $250 cobra R/T, they were only 14" low profile tires also. Making them super hard to find. Terrible trailer tires. Hence my huge aversion to low profile trailer tires. In the end the boat mate 14s have out performed my expectations. It's a functional trailer not a status symbol. I don't care if it blings sitting in the boat parking.

Edited by CJAY

Falken FK452 $161/ea.

I'm not personally attacking you, I don't think less of you for buying them, I just don't personally have blinged out trailers as a high priority. You do that's fine. We can all like different things and have different priorities. Your boat looks great, i just don't want what I perceive as extra headaches.

And I don't see the point of underwater lights or LEDs on cupholders, but you don't see me lecturing the guys who do.

Gawd forbid we indulge in something that looks good once in a while. Sheesh.

Good point on the LEDs.

And I don't see the point of underwater lights or LEDs on cupholders, but you don't see me lecturing the guys who do.

Gawd forbid we indulge in something that looks good once in a while. Sheesh.

I agree 100% on the LEDs in cup holders. Underwater lights come in helpful at lakes you can surf at night, so I like those. No one is lecturing anyone, just stating opinions. I'm not judging you, just stating why I don't prefer it. On trailers I'm far more function than form. I don't swap boats often enough not to feel the pain down the road

Edited by CJAY

I agree 100% on the LEDs in cup holders. Underwater lights come in helpful at lakes you can surf at night, so I like those. No one is lecturing anyone, just stating opinions. I'm not judging you, just stating why I don't prefer it. On trailers I'm far more function than form. I don't swap boats often enough not to feel the pain down the road

Is it legal to surf at night where you live?