Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 2016 product line info?

DarkSide

I find it kind of comical that a bunch of guys with $100k toys are preaching about the practicality of an upgrade that makes up about 1% of the cost of the toy.

Funny the things we tell ourselves to justify the way we spend our hard earned $'s.

I find it kind of comical that a bunch of guys with $100k toys are preaching about the practicality of an upgrade that makes up about 1% of the cost of the toy.

Funny the things we tell ourselves to justify the way we spend our hard earned $'s.

LOL.

My point was simply that I see no purpose in spending money on "bling" upgrades on a trailer. I don't like how they look and I don't agree that they help resale so for me, they don't make sense.

If someone wants to bling out their trailer, go for it. I just don't get it.

Now, the practical upgrades that may save your a** in a pinch make a whole lot more sense. But that's just me...

Doc, I would argue that 18's are not just a "bling" upgrade. The tires are 25% wider. That's 25% more rubber on the road which translates to better braking, grip, etc. That's not really debatable. You can argue, like CJAY, that you don't notice the difference or that it's not necessary, which is fine, but math is math.

As to the looks... sure this is subjective like anything. I think they look better (i.e. more proportional). Hard to argue they ALL look worse... there are many different styles available. I agree that some are hideous.

IXFE, I'll find some citations later, but wider tires don't put more rubber to the road than a narrower tire. It's a wider but shorter contact patch, with narrower tires having a narrower but longer contact patch.

I mean, math IS math, or so the math nerds tell me.

a wide tire with a lower profile will definitely have different handling characteristics than a narrow high profile tire. But the rubber on the road is going to be the same.

Doc, I would argue that 18's are not just a "bling" upgrade. The tires are 25% wider. That's 25% more rubber on the road which translates to better braking, grip, etc. That's not really debatable. You can argue, like CJAY, that you don't notice the difference or that it's not necessary, which is fine, but math is math.

As to the looks... sure this is subjective like anything. I think they look better (i.e. more proportional). Hard to argue they ALL look worse... there are many different styles available. I agree that some are hideous.

Apparently it is debatable. I will let you and SD duke it out.

Doc has Friday off and I'm about to go home and CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXX

IXFE, I'll find some citations later, but wider tires don't put more rubber to the road than a narrower tire. It's a wider but shorter contact patch, with narrower tires having a narrower but longer contact patch.

I mean, math IS math, or so the math nerds tell me.

a wide tire with a lower profile will definitely have different handling characteristics than a narrow high profile tire. But the rubber on the road is going to be the same.

Are you talking about taller sidewall? How does that translate to footprint on the asphalt?

The trailer will actually track straighter, ride softer, and probably pull with less resistance with a standard trailer specific tire over the low profile auto tires on the 18s. It may have a touch more sway but that would be the only downfall. I am sure the trailer tire will last longer also. For me I get the cheapest tire combo because I only use my trailer in the winter to store my boat on. But even if I pulled it daily I would most likely still get standard wheels. I do however like the wide fenders for stepping on. The 18s look awesome also.

Sent into space with tapatalk

That link doesn't prove what you're trying to say... it doesn't say that narrow tires with taller sidewalls make the same contact patch as wider tires.

Think about it, Shawn... do you honestly believe that a 205mm tread pattern can put down 255mm of rubber to the road? Seriously? Even if the 205 has a taller sidewall you'd have to under inflate the tire significantly to get any of that sidewall down on the pavement, and even then it wouldn't have any tread. And who under inflates a trailer tire??

I'm really baffled by your argument, Shawn. Maybe math isn't math...

narrow tire will have longer contact patch unless you are overinflating to make it solid like cement.

so no, a 205mm tire will never be 255mm wide. But under same pressure and same load, it will have a longer (front to back) but narrower (205 vs 255) contact patch than the equally inflated 255.

What are people's thoughts on Malibu's engine choices this year. If they stay with Indmar and go Ford it seems to me like there may be some unforeseen issues the first couple of years until things are ironed out. I'm not a mechanic so I don't really know, just thinking out loud.

narrow tire will have longer contact patch unless you are overinflating to make it solid like cement.

so no, a 205mm tire will never be 255mm wide. But under same pressure and same load, it will have a longer (front to back) but narrower (205 vs 255) contact patch than the equally inflated 255.

Still doesn't make sense to me since both tires have same circumference, turn same rpms, etc. If they are equally inflated the amount of rubber on the ground will always be greater at any given point in time on the 255.

Maybe you're right... I'm tired of arguing. I didn't buy my 18's for any of these reasons, as I already stated.

My favorite is when you call out the lawyers and they all scatter like roaches with the lights on.

They are fearful of being identified

No one likes them, but everyone wants their daughter to marry one.

EDIT: It's a shame that doctors don't like lawyers... I'm pretty sure lawyers LOVE doctors.

Edited by Cory

No one likes them, but everyone wants their daughter to marry one.

EDIT: It's a shame that doctors don't like lawyers... I'm pretty sure lawyers LOVE doctors.

It's a symbiotic relationship. Kinda like how docs make a living treating people who won't follow their advice.

I have heard the ford 6.2 is coming as well

Sent into space with tapatalk

The local Supra dealer mentioned that the Ford engines will not fit in to a Malibu. Any truth to that? They're all about the same width so that did not make sense to me but I have nothing to validate this or debunk it.

I must be the exception. I like the big wheel low profile tire look. After reading the last few pages most will really dislike my new one, when she arrives next month.

2 tone black with red fenders, triple axle with chrome or chrone/black wheels. Not 100% decided on wheel choice yet. I still have 30 days before she is delivered, So i got time

• Like 3