Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 2016 product line info?

DarkSide

I still think that getting on these Malibu's was never thought of from an engineering perspective. It was never discussed during R&D. I think they missed the boat on this one. The new trailer helps getting on the boat, but a walk through of some kind is needed.

An engineering perspective to get in and out of a wakeboat??? Surely you jest...

If you have a problem with getting into a Malibu, then you have a problem with getting in an out of any wakeboat made in the past 20 years, except the G where apparently they saw fit to carve a massive canyon out of a perfectly good transom. Maybe they figured their demographic needed the help. I can't help but wonder if a hand rail is next.

An engineering perspective to get in and out of a wakeboat??? Surely you jest...

If you have a problem with getting into a Malibu, then you have a problem with getting in an out of any wakeboat made in the past 20 years, except the G where apparently they saw fit to carve a massive canyon out of a perfectly good transom. Maybe they figured their demographic needed the help. I can't help but wonder if a hand rail is next.

Each to there own. I wasn't a fan of it when I first saw it but now that I've actually used it I've found it to be a nice feature. If you want a full transom they make a filler cushion for the times you won't be using he walk through.

Each to there own. I wasn't a fan of it when I first saw it but now that I've actually used it I've found it to be a nice feature. If you want a full transom they make a filler cushion for the times you won't be using he walk through.

I think they're talking about from outside the boat while on a trailer?

I'm talking about BOTH. Easy to get on my Bu while on the trailer (rear trailer steps are key). Even easier to get my butt over the transom and into the cabin.

Both. I have a walkway on my Malibu. It's always being used, but Inalways have to step on my seats when I get in. I hate that!

Nautique's walkway is awesome. I also like how you could flip in the filler cushion underneath the transom hatches. Freakin awesome!! Win, Win for them!

Edited by Afun

I still think that getting on these Malibu's was never thought of from an engineering perspective. It was never discussed during R&D. I think they missed the boat on this one. The new trailer helps getting on the boat, but a walk through of some kind is needed.

Go out on the X-15. It's the worse transom drop I have seen and it is very difficult to put your board on while back there. The malibu has a nice seat and height to put on your board, seems about right for us. And easily accessible to step up onto the transom from platform. Not sure how much more you can do.

I can only imagine getting off the platform on a G23 while on the trailer, that would be a sight to see.

Edited by Fman

Sooooo... I'm kinda with Afun on this one. my MB didn't have a walkthrough, but it did have a narrow sunpad and a "seam" about 4" wide behind the rear seats with seadeck-like stuff on it. Standing on that seam, it was easy to reach the (rear facing four point) tower and swing in, monkey bar style.

How many hundreds of times do we read about seat seams splitting on malibus. Always in the rear, right? Probably because people step on those cushions HARD time after time after time. And the forward arching towers are like 6' away. No chance of using the tower to minimize all weight on one foot on the upholstery in its most vulnerable location.

I'm not advocating for a grand canyon like tsunami funnel like the G, but some form of dedicated place to get into and out of the cabin via the swimdeck would make a lot of sense.... from an engineering perspective. Or at least a warranty perspective.... especially a five year warranty perspective.

Go out on the X-15. It's the worse transom drop I have seen and you and it is very difficult to put your board on while back there. The malibu has a nice seat and height to put on your board, seems about right for us. And easily accessible to step up onto the transom from platform. Not sure how much more you can do.

I can only imagine getting off the platform on a G23 while on the trailer, that would be a sight to see.

If you think the old X15 was bad, check out the step up on a Moomba Mondo. Must be nearly 30". You can't put a wakeboard on there, unless you are standing up.

I agree with afun on a lot of things. I like PB interior, and sparkly purple boats. The walkthrough does not do it for me. Someone in my crew lays across the transom sun pad every outing. Maybe 10 minutes or 1/2 hour. I do not want to dig out a cushion for this, nor do i wish to store a cushion. So for me it would be in all the time. A useless feature to me.

The way they did the walk through filler cushion on the G was genius. Well thought design, making the bow filler cushion an option is a fail.

I agree with MALIBU's having everything in reach and bring easily accessible. The design with that was well done.

We are in the process of getting out rear seat fixed on warranty. Stitching is pulling through the vinyl. Our rear sunpads are starting to show the same issue. I asked my buddy (dealer) if this is an Axis issue and he didn't hesitate in saying this is an every manufacturer problem. They see it in Malibu and Axis. They were a moomba and supra dealer and same issues. Anywhere there is high traffic there will be problems. We are trading in our '14 A22 this fall and this is a major issue for my wife (CEO). She understands that the warranty will fix it but we are planning on keeping our next boat for 5+ years. My wife absolutely loves the walk thru transom and removable seat on the nautiques. It may not be an issue for some and more power to them. It is an issue for many and disappointing to deal with.

The way they did the walk through filler cushion on the G was genius. Well thought design, making the bow filler cushion an option is a fail.

I agree with MALIBU's having everything in reach and bring easily accessible. The design with that was well done.

I think the walkthrough cushion is an option also?

Sooooo... I'm kinda with Afun on this one. my MB didn't have a walkthrough, but it did have a narrow sunpad and a "seam" about 4" wide behind the rear seats with seadeck-like stuff on it. Standing on that seam, it was easy to reach the (rear facing four point) tower and swing in, monkey bar style.

How many hundreds of times do we read about seat seams splitting on malibus. Always in the rear, right? Probably because people step on those cushions HARD time after time after time. And the forward arching towers are like 6' away. No chance of using the tower to minimize all weight on one foot on the upholstery in its most vulnerable location.

I'm not advocating for a grand canyon like tsunami funnel like the G, but some form of dedicated place to get into and out of the cabin via the swimdeck would make a lot of sense.... from an engineering perspective. Or at least a warranty perspective.... especially a five year warranty perspective.

I don't want anything that inhibits the ladies (EDIT: I meant wife) from suntanning on the sunpad--keep it all cushioned vinyl up there!!!

Edited by Cory
  • Like 4

If you think the old X15 was bad, check out the step up on a Moomba Mondo. Must be nearly 30". You can't put a wakeboard on there, unless you are standing up.

Here is a pic of the X-15 transom, its not only a big drop down to platform but it also sticks out. Are the newer MC's the same way? Hopefully they improved this a bit.

X15%20rear%20transom_zpscf21nb7a.jpg

Edited by Fman

These boats need a walk through and a step down. We're destroying all the vinyl. We actually do use these boats!! I thought we would come to a consensus easily on this one.

You guys put your wakeboard on sitting down? I never sit. Actually I face the boat too.

After almost 200 hours on the Axis, my rear sunpad is still in good shape but the seam on my rear middle seat is starting to wear out.

And yeah, the X15 is particularly high. My friend has one and it can definitely be a pretty large step.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2

I don't think it's that bad. There is a well defined step coming from the platform, to the first level, then you have to step on the sun pad. The complaint there is the vinyl is stupid HOT. I have no issues on sunpad, the issue comes on corner cushions where main ingress/egress from the dock happens. That seam separated last time and i expect this one will as well. Dealer ordered new skin, sent skin to local shop had it double sewn and no more issues. I like the Tige flip over corner cushion solution better than a walk through.

post-24799-0-10909700-1439924157_thumb.j

You guys put your wakeboard on sitting down? I never sit. Actually I face the boat too.

+1. I never sit when putting a board on and am always facing the boat and talking to people.

I agree a walk through even if it was only a 1/3 the size of the center sunpad would help out the vinyl a ton for traffic coming in and out of the boat. I don't need a step to get up there but just some kind of material that will take a beating. I just had the whole rear sunpad redone but if I have to do it again I'm creating some kind of walk through.

Here is a pic of the X-15 transom, its not only a big drop down to platform but it also sticks out. Are the newer MC's the same way? Hopefully they improved this a bit.

X15%20rear%20transom_zpscf21nb7a.jpg

ID- not sure on the 230...... The G series comes standard with them though.

Ya, X15 was high and it like leans outwards.... Not the easiest. The Mondo is a crazy drop though. I have watched more than a couple people biff-it off the back of my buddy's mondo. You kinda have to sit and slide down to the platform.

All of the newer MC's I have owned, had a comfortable height seat back there for boarding up. Especially the X23.

I've been on a G when half-loaded and stopping after a rider goes down took some driving foresight as the water would wash up the back, through the walk through and into the boat. The driver of the G we were on was experienced and several times water came through or almost through the walk though.

I like the solution that Tige had where you could flip the seat pads to create a step for getting in and out. I know other MFGs have done filler cushions as well. This removes the strain on the stitching that others have mentioned.