Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Levi900RR's 2015 (and first ever) Stereo build

Levi900RR

A suggestion. Use larger than 4ga wire (0ga for example) to go to the distribution block since you'll likely want a sub soon. This way you want have to do it twice. I used some good quality welding cable and it worked out really well.

Edited by FastFreddy

Also I had some humming in my stereo after my initial install. Consider running a new ground and power form the distribution blocks to the HU and the WS420.

Weekend update (No Pics...) I finished everything except the tower speakers. Tested the cabins, sub and the 420. WOW, what a difference. I'm REALLY happy with the results. The real test will be on the water but the driveway test was insane. I'll take some pictures after everything is done and cleaned up.

One note, I had to dremmel out the fiberglass behind the dash on the drivers side to fit the bigger magnet and motor on the Rockford 6.5. Passenger side went in smooth. The windshield removal was super easy.

• Like 1

I did snap some pics :Doh:

Here is the Neutrik connector all made up for the tower. I'm having a machine shop cut the holes in the tower today so as soon as I get it back I should be able to hang the Alpha 2's.

2951574B-3F73-4292-8B88-733C44658373.jpg

One note for anyone setting up a 8 pole / 8 conductor Neutrik. There are 2 "rings" of 4 terminals on the connector. Make sure you pick out which 4 conductors you are going to use for the inside right, and cut them a little shorter than the 4 that you are going to use for the outside ring. You need a little extra length on the outer ring wires as they kind of have to reach around the inner wires. I ended up soldering my inner wires on before I noticed so I was only able to use 6 of the 8 wires due to length. At this point I only plan on running a NAV light up there so 6 will work fine for me. If I ever need the other two I'll have to cut the end off and re-solder the end on...

Off topic, I did get my interior LED's in. Snapped a few pics of those... Should have waited for it to get a touch darker but I was running out of time and you get the idea.

B0895342-6A1C-4761-BED6-1BADEFC63F96_1.j

B3B9D8D5-F72F-4F95-9A3E-913780F2C126.jpg

I was able to get the tower wired up and tested yesterday as well as the kick panel modified and re-installed. I think that completes the hardware install. I still need to spend some time tuning the whole things but it seems to sound pretty awesome to my untrained ear! Here are a few pics of the tower install along the way. There were some serious thunder storms that blew through here so just as I was wrapping up I had to scramble to get the boat covered up. Its pretty messy anyway. Once its all clean I'll do some "done" shots.

46CC64D2-3EE0-4381-B0B1-56D170912808.jpg

20A0CCBA-22F8-4872-A192-0145E567D9DA.jpg

510B0DDA-43D3-40C8-B76A-B414BBC238A7.jpg

• Like 2

I had a few spare minutes this morning... Hooked the boat up to the hose and fired it up for the first time. I forgot to mention this but I took the easy way out and hooked my head unit up to the factory harness, opting to NOT run it to my common power and ground distribution block :Doh: can't get away with anything! There is a very slight buzz through the speakers when the engine is running. You really have to put your ear up to them to notice it. I didn't have time to mess with t but I think I can pull the RCA's for the head unit off the 420 to isolate the issue to that input. If it is the HU I'll just run a new ground over to the common ground for everything else.

Sound right?

• 1 month later...

So I'm sad to say that today was the first time I actually used me system while riding. I've done a ton of hanging around listening to music on it which has been so awesome but haven't had a chance to really do a riding session. Well I got out this morning and it is really awesome. Totally met my goals. I can hear the music, although not super loud, at wakeboard length and surfing it is really loud. We had a blast this morning.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I wasn't able to get all the wiring all cleaned up before putting the boat in the water so at some point when I get all the loom installed and tied up I'll take some glamour shots.