Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Levi900RR's 2015 (and first ever) Stereo build

Levi900RR

• 1 month later...

I finally got some time to mess around with the boat. I got my tower speakers mounted so I can now mark the holes and run wires. I pulled my kick panel and looked around under the helm. Looks like I will be able to fit everything under there without a problem. I WILL have to modify the kick panel as there is no way I can fit the basslink under there with the stock panel which is a bummer.

Things I learned:

1 Not enough room behind the stock kick panel on my boat for anything:

D0BD802A-4599-4D56-8A3F-0463457A6D0E.jpg

2 My tower looks sick with those speakers / new powder coated rack mounts and bimini :biggrin:

BE036F91-ABCE-4808-802E-E7DB9256D67B.jpg

DADCFAC1-8738-4F95-BAC8-CFA049CE98A0.jpg

3 This is going to be WAY more work than I though...

How are you guys mounting your WS420's? I poked around under my helm and I'd like to remove the stock "POD" the holds my stereo remote, safety lanyard and 12V plug and mount it under the dash on the right side, under the switches but there is NOTHING to mount it to. I'd have to fab up a mount... Do people just strap it to the bottom of the dash in the front?

• Like 2

levi if you don't have a heater, is there a way to mount the basslink high on the back wall under the helm? I think that's how my 06 was done and it fit in there great (I didn't do it tho... so not positive about whether the kick panel was mounted in stock location or not).

Can you snap a couple of pics of your dash (re the 420)?

levi if you don't have a heater, is there a way to mount the basslink high on the back wall under the helm? I think that's how my 06 was done and it fit in there great (I didn't do it tho... so not positive about whether the kick panel was mounted in stock location or not).

Can you snap a couple of pics of your dash (re the 420)?

WINNER!!! I totally forgot I could mount that thing to the wall! There is plenty of room up there. I will probably have to pull the front seat and through bolt it though... Great suggestion. Thanks Sean.

I'll try to grab a shot under the dash where I want to mount the 420.

Thanks again. Not having to mod that kick panel is going to save me a ton of time.

Forgot one other question... The 420 has 1 set of outputs for the "Cabin" speakers. But my 400.4 has two sets of inputs. Do I split them, or can I just use one input?

pretty sure the 400.4 can be set in two channel input mode (RTFM). So it inputs two channels and outputs all four (you can't fade, obviously).

Edited by shawndoggy

Trying to get some orders done today and I'm not at the boat. How much 8-conductor wire do you think I'll need to get from under the helm up to the tower speakers? This stuff isn't cheap so I don't want to over order. I was thinking 30ft would be safe...

Here is the rear wall under my helm. I took a few measurements tonight and after I relocate that vent hose and the wiring my sub will mount nicely up there, I'll have plenty of room for my amps and the stock kick plate will go back in.

5F37D29F-DA22-4219-A8F3-4C891001A0BC.jpg

Here are a few shots of the back side of the dash under the switches where I want to mount the 420. In the last one I pinched the material so you can see how thin it is...

52993B51-9745-454E-9C98-FFA93F1FC6C5.jpg

A128BAA8-4B36-4A4E-9731-DC0F79230471.jpg

95F94A25-56D2-4C3F-B085-38A185233B8D.jpg

I had the same issue. That material is too flimsy for mounting. I bought some clear plastic at home depot and bent it (after heating it) into an L bracket. The eq sits on top of the L. I think I also zip-tied the tip of the L to the steering rack to dampen any play in the plastic. But I mounted the eq on the left side of the steering wheel, so the bracket is mounted to the helm side of the centre walk-thru. I don't have any pictures, but could get some this weekend if you'd like.

Crystal, I'd love to see a pic of your set up.

I'm going to mess around with it all this weekend. I got my tower wire / Neutrik connectors and my power / ground wires so I hope to get a good chunk of the install done. Need to get this dialed in and the boat out on the lift!

Not to get too far off subject here but does Malibu really not use Marine amps with corrosion protection in their brand new boats? This is kind of surprising...

Just pulled my stock amp and am removing all the wiring. (Couldn't just cut it out and leave it hanging) what are you guys doing with your stock stereo breaker? Should I be incorporating it in my new system? Seems like I'll have all the protection I need from the main fuse and the blue seas fuse box.

And is it normal to have your amp power lead hooked up direct with no other fuse other than the internal amp fuse? Here is where mine is hooked up. Right to the hot end of he breaker bar!

56F70D32-82A3-40B2-97D2-D24B4A4C0F14.jpg

levi no you don't! Did you see how long it took me to get mine done? Like 6 months! I'm very slow. You are really wishing for Fman or Bunji. Those guys are machines.

Edited by shawndoggy

Here is the rear wall under my helm. I took a few measurements tonight and after I relocate that vent hose and the wiring my sub will mount nicely up there, I'll have plenty of room for my amps and the stock kick plate will go back in.

5F37D29F-DA22-4219-A8F3-4C891001A0BC.jpg

LLevi - are you going to have the steering cable go behind the sub or will it fit up in that left corner with the cable going around it?