Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Baby On Boat

saxton15

Had my daughter on the boat when she was 3 weeks old. You'll figure out what works best for you pretty quickly.

One thing I read on here that I never really thought about was to not have the baby in the vehicle while launching/retrieving the boat. Just in case something happened and the tow vehicle ends up in the water...

Edited by Pnwrider

So even at a young age, some of you didn't bother with the car seat?

we have a 6, 4, and 1 year old, and all have been on the boat since 3 months old, every weekend of the summer, basically. Never used a car seat or anything. The babies are either being held, asleep or playing on the floor. Once they can crawl and climb up onto seats, then it get's more complicated. That's about the time they become really aware of the life jacket and that people are swimming and no longer on the boat, and they want to do the same.

we do have the 12v fan but it wasn't useful for very long. It can't be used when under way, it falls. and once the kid can sit up, they try to grab the fan and pull it down from where ever it is that's why I like the spray bottle fans. You can stick your finger in them and no pain.

One thing we WISHED we had was clips to hold a towel to the bimini. Then no matter where the sun is, you can shelter the baby when stopped.

One thing I read on here that I never really thought about was to not have the baby in the vehicle while launching/retrieving the boat. Just in case something happened and the tow vehicle ends up in the water...

I've mentioned that here before.

I don't even leave the dog in the truck when I launch, even if it's just the two of us he goes where I go. Back boat in with truck windows down, get out with him, throw him in the boat, launch boat, tie boat to dock, take him with me to park truck, etc. Might be a bit much to onlookers, but from what I understand drowning kind of sucks. Would hate to lose him or anyone else that way.

Definitely mindful when driving around. Pretty stoked to bring him on the boat, even in the driveway!

Great thread, thanks everyone for all your advice and personal experiences.

We had our little one after ~ 2 weeks and definitely had a fan in the boat as well as a jacket. Also can't remember where I read it but a car seat is a no no as it will sink apparently so its recommended to never keep a kid in a car seat on a boat. Also get a "shade" system of some sort ready, umbrella style system we devised worked great making the bow a covered bed area for him.

Found the info I was referencing. Even though I don't agree with waiting until they are 18 lbs the info regarding the car seat sinking instantly was the issue I was mentioning.

"Your baby should not ride on a boat – including rowboats, kayaks, motorboats, and sailboats – until he weighs at least 18 pounds and can wear a snug-fitting personal flotation device (PFD), according to the U.S. Coast Guard. The average weight baby reaches 18 pounds at about 7 months for boys, and 9 months for girls. (Using a car seat on a boat isn't safe because the seat would sink instantly if it fell in the water.)"

My 2 c

Have fun

Claudio

Edited by cstk421

I agree with most of what's said here. Both of mine spent time in the boat, in the car seat, in the walk trough. It's been like that since 6 weeks for my son and 1 year for my daughter. Took them skiing with me every Saturday and Sunday morning. Great times and equally great memories. Enjoy it!

Claudio, we are saying we set the baby in the car seat while they were wearing the life jacket. Not strapped in. Just a cozy place (with built in shade) to set the baby down when needed.

We used 303 on the neoprene jacket well before usage and then lathered it up w some 30spf all around any chafe areas and our grand daughter never chafed once. She even rubs it on the jacket herself towards end of summer.

I've got the Bimini set up, and these awful looking beach chair towel clips to hold up a towel for additional shade.

Baby on the boat isn't worrying me too much. Toddler on the boat will make the nerves run high.

I've got the Bimini set up, and these awful looking beach chair towel clips to hold up a towel for additional shade.

Baby on the boat isn't worrying me too much. Toddler on the boat will make the nerves run high.

Especially with a boy! My daughter can leave the controls alone (always listened and only touched what we said she could)... my son ... not so much. He just can't help it lol. I am hoping this year he will be a little better (2.5). Last year I had to constantly check to make sure the ballast pumps weren't running or that the bilge pump was switched on.

We had our son out on the boat at 3 weeks. He was in his car seat with a life vest, but he wasn't strapped in. Most time we pulled the observers seat rest and left that back rest up for shade. Once it warmed up more I mounted a 12v fan to the back side of the observers seat to blow on him when the seat rest was up. I'll try to find some pics when I get home. I wanted to use the walk through with the wind block but his car seat was a bit to wide.

We actually did more boating that year when he was fairly stationary than we did last summer when he was starting to move around. The first summer he slept really well on the boat, last year he just got wild and then tired so we had to cut some weekend days short and head in for nap time.

Edited by stags79

Some pointers -

The baby will be much, much hotter than you are. Keep them in a breeze and out of the sun.

Keep the life jacket on them at all times. Yes, they ride up and can be painful, but way less painful than the potential option.

Never strap them into anything except a life jacket. Car seat, baby carrier, etc. You dont want them trapped in the boat or in the car seat.

My kids all preferred the floor in the walk-thru. I think the warm air and vibrations in the floor soothed them to sleep.

Enjoy it - all three of my kids were boating before they walked and love boating and the water.

Probably one of the few that can say my wife went into labor on the boat and 4 days later we were back out on the boat with our daughter. She turns six in July and probably logs more hours in a season then most due in a couple years. We ended taking a couple different life jackets and making the neck opening a little bigger for when she was sleeping. Biggest thing was shade and still is, we use the big clips and towels from the bimini to the windshield they work great. No need for a big stereo anymore so saved some money on the new boat. You will find your routine will change and you will have more kids stuff in your boat then you ever thought possible. All in all it's great and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Baby days are easy when they start getting mobile your fun will begin. Swimming lessons are important for any kid and even more so if you spend time on the water. We started our daughter at 3 months and she is still in them. Swimming in the pool is different than open water so always good to get them use to the open water just in case. Naturally things change and you will always be on the look out for them and others but I think time on the water with the family is better then it was in the younger party years.

• Like 2

Claudio, we are saying we set the baby in the car seat while they were wearing the life jacket. Not strapped in. Just a cozy place (with built in shade) to set the baby down when needed.

Understood wasn't an assumption I just wanted to put that out there b/c someone told me and I never knew a car seat would sink like a brick. We went with a portable lounger instead of the car seat with a shade. Less cumbersome for us to haul as well cause it folded up.

Claudio

Especially with a boy! My daughter can leave the controls alone (always listened and only touched what we said she could)... my son ... not so much. He just can't help it lol. I am hoping this year he will be a little better (2.5). Last year I had to constantly check to make sure the ballast pumps weren't running or that the bilge pump was switched on.

Tell me about it! My daughter was the same. With my son, now 3, I experienced the same as you. He's always running around the boat, grabbing the throttle, reaching for the key, messing with the speed control, tossing handles and ropes overboard.....He's getting on trainers this season, so I hope that it will wear him down enough where he stops messing with everything else.

• Like 2

Tell me about it! My daughter was the same. With my son, now 3, I experienced the same as you. He's always running around the boat, grabbing the throttle, reaching for the key, messing with the speed control, tossing handles and ropes overboard.....He's getting on trainers this season, so I hope that it will wear him down enough where he stops messing with everything else.

Lol ya, you reminded me of the ropes overboard... my boy does at all the time too! They sound very similar. I had mine on the trainer last summer (he was 18 months) that didn't help because then he just wanted to ride it all the time and not let anyone else go! This year he will be 2.5, I am really hoping he's a little calmer on the boat, but I think that is just wishful thinking!

Thinking about fan's, can the heater be rigged up to only blow air without the heat?

Shut the supply lines at the engine and no hot water will be circulating. That should work, right?

Shut the supply lines at the engine and no hot water will be circulating. That should work, right?

got me, I just took delivery of the boat before years end and straight to storage it went. Haven't had a chance to really look at how the heater works or how accessible it is. Guessing just remove the kick panel.

Edit: looking at heater craft website, the heaters are hydronic and shutting off hot water flow would remove the heat and the heater would not be in danger to operate this way. At least that's my understanding. Anyone else think it's a danger to the heater to do this?

Edited by augie09

I consider all of you lucky. We were waiting until we could afford to get the boat we wanted. Then we had kids and put it on hold for a little bit. Then when we were back in a position to buy, the kids were toddlers and we didn't want to have to be constantly watching them so we waited until they were proficient swimmers. From the time we felt we could afford a boat to the time we felt the kids were proficient swimmers was about 4 loooooooooong years. It all worked out and now the kids love it almost as much as I do. It was well worth the wait.

Our daughter started out on the boat at that same age. Has a neoprene jacket as well (still does, just one that fits a 4 year old). Best year with her on the boat was that year!

She never, ever left that jacket. Ever. Still doesn't leave that jacket while on the boat. Just keep them in the shade and use a little water if it is getting warm. Our daughter slept very well on the boat.