Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Mastercraft X30 Review....by yours truly

Afun

I'm actually surprised by the comment. Even with the rear facing seat stowed it felt small? I thought it felt really good in the cabin of the x30.

That rear facing seat is sweet! Even with it stowed, I think my VLX is the same size....IMO

^^^ to that end, is there a better Bu dealer in the area?[/quote

I don't know.

name=Pnwrider" post="808254" timestamp="1425876209]Good thing you bought that ss to make the long drive. When's the g21 review coming?

I'm hoping to actually surf this one, so things may have to warm up. I'm home alone for an entire week for the first time in I don't know how many years. I may take a drive KY to check out the 230 and G soon. The used boat market for both of these boats really intrigues me. A 14' with really low hours, and a good price with 4 years remaining on warranty. The Nautiques have my favorite interior. The dealer is just a bit far.

My neighbor get's the SG (with 575 Roush) in April. Come down and check it out. Guarantee it will be dialed. If patient you can have the boat at the end of the season for well under 6 figures and it will have every option on the list. Don't buy new Alan, it's a fools game.

I want warranty! The Supras look good. When are you going to care enough about surfing and dial in that wave. You could at least do me the favor. Edited by Afun

Warranty is only as good as the people servicing your boat. Means very little.

This couldn't be more true.

Doesn't matter if they fix everything no questions asked.

Trust me, I know.

Although a 5 year warranty and a great dealer is a recipe for success IMO

Edited by DocPhil

Am I missing something? There seems to be alot of talk about a 5 year warranty from people that hold onto boats for maybe a couple years? Does A long term warranty claim really mean that much to you guys? I know I look at things a little differently because I always buy used and work on my own stuff, but I am having a very hard time understanding the warranty being a big factor when you are trading boats often. I cant say the warranty would matter much at all if I were in that position. It would be much more about looks, performance, comfort for me, and if trading that often most likely resale value, and if Malibu is raising there prices as much as they have lately that makes there used models worth more when trading up also, rite?

Cant wait to here your view on the G boats.

• Like 2

Afun, stop reading and writing and go for a G test , and a 22VLX ;-)

I allways like to read reviews about boats..

Edited by OneCent
  • Like 2

Lots of emotions circle around these boats below, but I am not ruling them out. I have always really liked the way the wave looks. Short, long, and maybe very firm. With the Convex Plate the listing is very shallow, so its not uncomfortable. I think the design and the Gel Coat schemes are pretty nice too. Pricing is also excellent. Space is a bit cramped. The Captains chair and the helm is also very nice. I wonder how the throttle feels? This would be fun to demo. Also, seems like they use minimal weight to achieve results. I don't know what kind of warranty these boats have.

Edited by Afun

I mean...... I can tell you how to set up an X30 for a proper demo, and it is certainly not hard. First thing is, if they really had 550s in the back, rather than the recommended 400s, that certainly throws it off from the ability to have a good wave on the preset surf settings. With 400s, it doesn't need the bow weight, with 550s, it should have had 200-300lbs up front. I ran about 400-450 up front with the 750s.

It is clear in the video that-

1- It needed more bow weight.

2- the resurfacing prop wash was what was messing up the wave. That was from having the center plate deployed too far. It shouldn't be deployed at all for the port wave, and should only be down 10-20% for starboard.

A good setup for that would have been-

Port steep- KGB and starboard ballast full, port ballast at 90%. 250lbs of lead in the bow if running 550 rear bags. Center tab 0, port tab 0, starboard tab 80%. Speed range of 11-12.5 mph.

Port mellow- same ballast. Center 0, port 0, starboard 100%. Speed range 10.7-12.5.

Starboard steep- same ballast, center 15%, port 85%, starboard 0%. Speed range 10.5-11.8

Starboard mellow- same ballast, center 15%, port 100%, starboard 0%. Speed range 11.0.12.5

Those settings give a real good base line for nice waves. If bigger bags are put in the back, add 50% of the added weight to the front. (Go from 550s-750s, add another 200 in the bow.)

• Like 2

Afun, see if Ryan can take you on a demo, you will have a different experience I am sure.

Do you work on your own boat? What are your plans for the Malibu if any work needs to be done? Edited by Afun

In all fairness, that video was taken at a time when the wake was looking its worst. We moved 3 adults to the front and I listed the boat some to the surf side (80/100/100) and it did get much better. The salesman told us they were 550's and I'd venture to believe him since they almost took up the entire rear lockers.

The bow was riding very high but the wave did have some length. Is it safe to assume too much bow weight and the wave would flatten out? If not, I'd throw a triangle sack to bring the nose down some.

Looking forward to demoing the G21. I watched a few videos last night and that boat looks pretty awesome.

I always found the best waves were achievable with appropriate bow weight. Basically, I had enough bow ballast so that I could sit unbolstered and see ahead perfectly well (I'm 5'9"). That gave us the longest, cleanest, waves, with the best push over the greatest length. I would reduce speed if I wanted a taller, shorter, wave.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
  • Like 2

Do you work on your own boat? What are your plans for the Malibu if any work needs to be done?

My warranty is up so as long as it is not an electrical issue (ie fancy touch screen) I have a guy in Seymour, TN that is a genius with the GM (indamar) motors. Master Marine, he used to be Mastercraft's goto guy, flew him all over the world to work on boats issues that no one else could figure out. So my oil changes, winterization, etc will go through him. Not sure what to do if I have any other issues. I am thinking about trading but feel like I am starting a square one.

If the MC product wasn't so stupid expensive I would love to do business with ABC, but just can't justify spending the $$$.

• Like 2

AND you still don't know what to expect from the new Malibu dealer. They could have the BEST service department in the world. You haven't given them a proper chance. That's not fair. And its not like you are warrantying your boat multiple times a year. In fact, you never have used your warranty until your seat cushion skin.

You don't want to be boat-less. Think about last summer. I say find your replacement first, then sell the ninja, then buy your new boat of choice. Or be happy with Hickory Star :)

My warranty is up so as long as it is not an electrical issue (ie fancy touch screen) I have a guy in Seymour, TN that is a genius with the GM (indamar) motors. Master Marine, he used to be Mastercraft's goto guy, flew him all over the world to work on boats issues that no one else could figure out. So my oil changes, winterization, etc will go through him. Not sure what to do if I have any other issues. I am thinking about trading but feel like I am starting a square one.

If the MC product wasn't so stupid expensive I would love to do business with ABC, but just can't justify spending the $$$.

Dude, completely agree with everything you said. I winterize and change my own oil, impellar, etc... The Bu has been great until the vinyls. The used boat market is looking pretty good. I see 14' X10 and X30 for sale with minimal hours and thousands less. Still got a 4 year warranty for all the fancy electronics. Maybe we should demo together, lol.

AND you still don't know what to expect from the new Malibu dealer. They could have the BEST service department in the world. You haven't given them a proper chance. That's not fair. And its not like you are warrantying your boat multiple times a year. In fact, you never have used your warranty until your seat cushion skin.

You don't want to be boat-less. Think about last summer. I say find your replacement first, then sell the ninja, then buy your new boat of choice. Or be happy with Hickory Star :)

You made me snot with the last part of your statement. Those bags look exactly like my previous 550's that I had in my humble beginnings. We both agree its a nice boat with plenty of wave potential. Both of us coming from Malibu, and good prices....it was difficult to justify the cost for the X30 and kind of get a similiar boat. That is all...

Dude, completely agree with everything you said. I winterize and change my own oil, impellar, etc... The Bu has been great until the vinyls. The used boat market is looking pretty good. I see 14' X10 and X30 for sale with minimal hours and thousands less. Still got a 4 year warranty for all the fancy electronics. Maybe we should demo together, lol.

You made me snot with the last part of your statement. Those bags look exactly like my previous 550's that I had in my humble beginnings. We both agree its a nice boat with plenty of wave potential. Both of us coming from Malibu, and good prices....it was difficult to justify the cost for the X30 and kind of get a similiar boat. That is all...

I am always up for a demo / boat ride. Just let me know when and where!

I am always up for a demo / boat ride. Just let me know when and where!

Next stop looks to be Lake Cumberland....and Lake Cumberland Marine...Somerset, KY

I always found the best waves were achievable with appropriate bow weight. Basically, I had enough bow ballast so that I could sit unbolstered and see ahead perfectly well (I'm 5'9"). That gave us the longest, cleanest, waves, with the best push over the greatest length. I would reduce speed if I wanted a taller, shorter, wave.

With everything full with factory surf settings engaged and everybody sitting in the cabin, the boat was literally popping a wheelie and I had to stand (6'1") to see where I was going. After 3 dudes (~600lbs) went up front it got much better.

With everything full with factory surf settings engaged and everybody sitting in the cabin, the boat was literally popping a wheelie and I had to stand (6'1") to see where I was going. After 3 dudes (~600lbs) went up front it got much better.

It was a simple recipe to improve the wave....even Zane was telling me this boat did not need bow weight. I understand it may be real attractive to a buyer to know that no additional exposed sac in the bow is needed to acheive good results....but that's very far from the truth...." I tell the truth even when I lie " Scarface Circa 1983