Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 V-ride Questions before purchase

sea1gxf

I totally agree but to tell someone that it is significantly better is just and opinion and opinions are like blanket e blank and everyone has one and they all stink.

Well this opinion is from someone with over 300 hours each on both hulls. (conservative) :)

Actually it could be 400 hours each...

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Your right they are different but to say one is significantly better is ludicrous.

If you can't ride behind an older boat then maybe your aren't as good as you think you are. You can only hide horrible skills for so long. I get into this argument with my buddy about his ski verse my ski. He says my ski sucks because he can't ski it. I can ski it just fine and have no issues with it. I also point out to him that possibly the best skier on our lake uses the same ski as me and he doesn't have any issues with it.

Sometimes it's the rider and not the equipment.

I totally agree but to tell someone that it is significantly better is just and opinion and opinions are like blanket e blank and everyone has one and they all stink.

Isn't what you're saying just an opinion too? If so, it seems by your own admission that it stinks... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Your over analyzing this. No matter the ability of the rider, almost anyone will agree that the newer hull makes a better wake. Also something that hasnt been mentioned. The older hull is more sensitive to weight placement then the newer hull. And that is something ANYONE can appreciate.

When it comes to surfing, I could surf my 05 vride just fine. That doesn't mean I didn't like the 09 vride better and prefer that wave.

Actually I kinda think your the one who is over analyzing it. Many people come here & think they can buy x boat & it'll have a great surf wave out of the box. But these accounts say that maybe you need to work on that a bit before you get the perfect wave, no matter what boat you have.

Here and in Seattle, the bigger boat forces me into buying a $100/mo more larger slip. Unless I want to shoehorn it in there. And the additional weight was more than the little 1/2 ton SUV I had was rated so i would need to buy another tow rig (which I ended up doing anyway years later). Plus it would never fit under my carport/RV parking space.

None of this means that those people wouldnt enjoy the much better wake on an 05 wakesetter even more. From a surfing perspective more can be accomplished on the newer hull. Period. No matter your ability. Bigger wave does mean bigger tricks. It even dictates which board you can ride and get away with riding.

True. But it also says there are no guarantees that you will get a better wave out of the bigger boat. You still have to work on it a bit.

If this is true, it just proves wallys buy expensive boats, not that new boats put put inferior waves to the old hull. I mean really this shouldn't even be debatable. The vride can surf, yes. But it is by no means a "surf boat," and you'll never get a great wave out of it without more ballast than many people would be comfortable with. Very few people need or can put to use a huge wakeboard wake, but almost anyone who can surf wants the biggest longest most powerful wave you can make.

I'm not saying the waves are inferior. I'm just saying that buying the bigger boat marketed to that particular sport may or may not mean you'll get a bigger wave out of it. You still have to work on it to get it dialed in. And since like 1 out of 10000 Malibu owners ever come to this site, they are not all getting it.

I'm not saying the waves are inferior. I'm just saying that buying the bigger boat marketed to that particular sport may or may not mean you'll get a bigger wave out of it. You still have to work on it to get it dialed in. And since like 1 out of 10000 Malibu owners ever come to this site, they are not all getting it.

If you tell me you are an expert at driving nails with a rock, and that your friend hits his thumb when he tries to drive nails with a hammer, I'm still going to choose the hammer over the rock to drive a nail.

By the logic I am seeing on here you should buy the race car with less horsepower and get a more talented driver. Bet that talented driver could drive the heck out of the faster car tho, so you get the fast car and the better driver. Just makes sense. I have a buddy that could pull tantrums behind our trihull.. think I have mentioned that on this forum. Guess what? He bought a used x-star when the opportunity arose..

Btw. I have an 07 vride.

Edited by ajeep4u

If you tell me you are an expert at driving nails with a rock, and that your friend hits his thumb when he tries to drive nails with a hammer, I'm still going to choose the hammer over the rock to drive a nail.

Nice analogy. It's more like using a hammer with a wooden handle or a hammer with a wooden handle & a bunch of bling. No one here is riding behind a rock.

Nice analogy. It's more like using a hammer with a wooden handle or a hammer with a wooden handle & a bunch of bling. No one here is riding behind a rock.

You are suggesting that an 05-08 vride is a viable surf boat, if your primary pastime is surfing, and that it compares favorably to and performs better than new showroom boats.

If you think the only difference between a vride and a new VLX or LSV in the surfing department is bling, you are just, well.... wrong.

• Like 1

Well this opinion is from someone with over 300 hours each on both hulls. (conservative) :)

Actually it could be 400 hours each...

Isn't what you're saying just an opinion too? If so, it seems by your own admission that it stinks... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep

Guys, as much as I know that you like to debate the virtues of the Vride vs VLX, that wasn't what the OP asked about. Let's get things back on topic please and actually provide this guy with a little help instead of arguing over something that he didn't even ask about.

To the OP, you mention both wake surfing and skiing. Can you comment on what percentage of time you think that you'll be spending doing each? Also, how big is your group that you'll be typically taking out? Any other sports that we should know about?

• Like 2

You are suggesting that an 05-08 vride is a viable surf boat, if your primary pastime is surfing, and that it compares favorably to and performs better than new showroom boats.

If you think the only difference between a vride and a new VLX or LSV in the surfing department is bling, you are just, well.... wrong.

An older v-ride is a vary viable surf boat. Is it better than a new boat of course not but to tell people you can't put out a great surf wake or wakeboard wake isn't true.

Just because you have a sweet boat doesn't make you a good surfer or wakeboarder like some people think.

Guys, as much as I know that you like to debate the virtues of the Vride vs VLX, that wasn't what the OP asked about. Let's get things back on topic please and actually provide this guy with a little help instead of arguing over something that he didn't even ask about.

To the OP, you mention both wake surfing and skiing. Can you comment on what percentage of time you think that you'll be spending doing each? Also, how big is your group that you'll be typically taking out? Any other sports that we should know about?

Sounds good.

An older v-ride is a vary viable surf boat. Is it better than a new boat of course not but to tell people you can't put out a great surf wake or wakeboard wake isn't true.

Just because you have a sweet boat doesn't make you a good surfer or wakeboarder like some people think.

I owned one. I am speaking from experience. Thing is you don't need to be good at surfing to need the big wake. That's where it's totally inverted from wakeboarding, where I totally agree, G23 sized wakeboard wakes are for the .01%. But to get a big long clean wave that you can really surf on***, the vride takes "over the rub rail" weight.... not something that I can reasonably encourage someone to do. If surfing is a primary activity the vride is going to be a stepping stone to your next real surf boat. It was for me anyhow.

*** if you consider this the pinnacle of "surfing" then yes, vride is money, my comments can be disregarded in their entirety:

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Yes you can surf easily with it. I removed my stock ballast last year and went with 750's from wakemakers and 3, 80 pounders up front, wedge down and 10MPH and can surf it easy. I surf with a Ronix Thruster 4 foot 7 inches, I think it's 2013.

So 240 pounds up front on the side of the surfer, center tank full, rear ballast full on side of the surfer, extra passengers on the side of the surfer and wedge down.

Skiing ok but you're going to have a (I think it's soft) bump.

6 or 7 people max on the boat for the day.

You would be surprised... ;)

Edited by hunter77ah

True. But it's closer.

Frankly, when someone like the OP is looking at buying a new boat, he is considering a lot of details. And in those details is the answer. Hope your able to weed thru it all & come up with a good fit for yourself.

Allow me to throw a curve ball: Can you surf in choppy water better with the newer hulls? Between how much weight I run, rub rail touching the water, there is no way I will ballast out in choppy water, plus I find it hard to surf in chop.

• Like 4

So seriously, do the better hulls surf in chop better? I often hear "Surfing is something we do when it's choppy". I can't surf my boat when it's choppy, will an 05 wakesetter hull make a difference? What is the real difference between the 05 wakesetter hull and surfing my 02 hull? Just take less weight to make the wave good? The only other hull I've surfed was a 07 vride & we had no bow ballast & no gate, my wave was way better. But I have nothing to compare mine too outside of that. With that said, what boat does (if any) surf good when it's choppy?

Allow me to throw a curve ball: Can you surf in choppy water better with the newer hulls? Between how much weight I run, rub rail touching the water, there is no way I will ballast out in choppy water, plus I find it hard to surf in chop.

yup they are better. More freeboard. Better wave. Better in chop.

There are definitely benefits to the smaller boat. Better fuel usage, easier tow, awesome low speed handling/ maneuverability. And will fit the bill for A LOT of people out there.

Just an observation. The Malibu designers made a bunch of different boat personalities that work for all the different personalities of it's owners.

Great thread. (sorry didn't stay on topic Wakegirl)

Steve B.

• Like 2

The V-Ride is built on the previous generation wakesetter hull. So that 07 will be the same as the 04 and prior Wakesetter. The 09-14 V-ride is built off the 05-08 wakesetter hull. And yes there typically is a little less bling in places like vinyl. The quality is all still there and if you can live without the little things I'd say go for it.

You got your years mixed up. 2004 was the first year of the change. It goes 04-07, then 08 to 13.

You got your years mixed up. 2004 was the first year of the change. It goes 04-07, then 08 to 13.

Sorry. I believe its 05-08. And then 09 to whatever.

My neighbor has an 08. Same as my 05. Another neighbor has an 04...same boat, but its badged as a VLX.

yup they are better. More freeboard. Better wave. Better in chop.

There are definitely benefits to the smaller boat. Better fuel usage, easier tow, awesome low speed handling/ maneuverability. And will fit the bill for A LOT of people out there.

But is the wave smoother, more rideable when its choppy? I just get bounced out the wave behind my boat if its choppy or big rollers come by. Do the larger deeper hulls provide a break in the water so the wave stays relatively smoother?

Sorry. I believe its 05-08. And then 09 to whatever.

My neighbor has an 08. Same as my 05. Another neighbor has an 04...same boat, but its badged as a VLX.

+1

But is the wave smoother, more rideable when its choppy? I just get bounced out the wave behind my boat if its choppy or big rollers come by. Do the larger deeper hulls provide a break in the water so the wave stays relatively smoother?

yes, for sure it's rideable. Wind chop for sure, anyhow. Now if you are talking about a small lake that's boiling with other boats' rollers, you are going to have more trouble... boat rollers are generally more powerful (in my experience) than similarly sized wind chop (I'm not talking about being out in 7' tahoe rollers here). In the MB we'd surf all the time in conditions like that, where wakeboarding would be impossible (and definitely impossible in an early VLX or 1st gen vride because of the terrible rough water ride).