Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 V-ride Questions before purchase

sea1gxf

Is this boat the lower end model?

Yes, this is the 'lower end' compared to the Wakesetter line. A lot of the 'finer' things (upgraded vinyl, etc) and luxury features are left out.

Yes, this is the 'lower end' compared to the Wakesetter line. A lot of the 'finer' things (upgraded vinyl, etc) and luxury features are left out.

Sorta. Wakesetter is a package that includes a tower, MLS ballast, and some trim (steering wheel, isotta knob, emblems), etc. You could order a Vride Wakesetter just as easily as a VLX Wakesetter or LSV Wakesetter. The items you menrtioned had nothing to do with the Wakesetter package, but were reserved for the higher end models, ie; the VLX, LSV & XTI. Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3

The 07 vride ride was totally different boat with a different hull and some fewer options like how full the ballast is. The dicepancy was not as large as it is now. Vynal was the same across all lines that year.

As far as sking goes the boat will have a definate bump in the back that will be pretty hard. You maybe able to reduce it with some weight in the front but you will have to play with it.

Edited by RobSMalibu

The V-Ride is built on the previous generation wakesetter hull. So that 07 will be the same as the 04 and prior Wakesetter. The 09-14 V-ride is built off the 05-08 wakesetter hull. And yes there typically is a little less bling in places like vinyl. The quality is all still there and if you can live without the little things I'd say go for it.

As robbennett says it's on the 04 hull. My understanding is that there is a pretty significant difference between the before 04 hull and 05+ hull. Meaning the 05+ put's out a significantly better wake. I'm not the expert just what I have read. I am sure someone will be able to provide more detail on that. I think the vinyl is different and a few other bells and whistles, sounds like a good price though.

My biddy has a 06' v-ride. It is great ballasted correctly it throws a sick wave. Nice wake but asking will require some playing with prop and ballast. Overall they are great boats. Hopefully it has manual wedge at minimum. Sounds like a solid deal if the price is good. Not sure on your market.

As robbennett says it's on the 04 hull. My understanding is that there is a pretty significant difference between the before 04 hull and 05+ hull. Meaning the 05+ put's out a significantly better wake. I'm not the expert just what I have read. I am sure someone will be able to provide more detail on that. I think the vinyl is different and a few other bells and whistles, sounds like a good price though.

Significant, really? Keep in mind the 04 VLX Wakesetter is what Malibu used in Wakeboard competitions back then so say significantly better is significantly false.

Can you ski behind it sure but it does have a bump that is very soft. No v-drive is going to ski like a DD period.

Our friends just purchased a 2015 LSV with every option known to man. It is a truely sweet boat. BUT it sucks to surf behind it because they don't weight it right. In fact they have it so screwed up it's very difficult to let go of the handle. I know that it's operator error and not the boat. But if it was someone that didn't know any better they would say my boat if far superior to theirs when in fact I know it's not.

• Like 3

Significant, really? Keep in mind the 04 VLX Wakesetter is what Malibu used in Wakeboard competitions back then so say significantly better is significantly false.

Can you ski behind it sure but it does have a bump that is very soft. No v-drive is going to ski like a DD period.

Our friends just purchased a 2015 LSV with every option known to man. It is a truely sweet boat. BUT it sucks to surf behind it because they don't weight it right. In fact they have it so screwed up it's very difficult to let go of the handle. I know that it's operator error and not the boat. But if it was someone that didn't know any better they would say my boat if far superior to theirs when in fact I know it's not.

I don't know how anyone can say they are even close :lol: I owned an 05 vride and spent equal amounts of time on an 09 vride (same hull as 05 wakesetter)

Big difference in wake and wave. Big. And comfort! That extra 6" in beam is really nice.

OP want my advice, that vride is overpriced and I would hold out for an 05-06 wakesetter. Coming from guy that owned an 05!

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

That VRide is certainly a little steep. Probably a couple grand high depending on your location. With that being said, good for surfing if set up right and good for slalom as well. I run 36 on a ski and previously owned A supra direct drive. My supra wake at slalom speeds was equivalent to a Mastercraft ProStar 209. I won't go as far as saying at the wake is equivalent on the V ride. The ride wake is a little larger but certainly does not pose any obstacle when I'm slaloming. Good all-around boat if you ask me. I currently have a '06Vride. Ndawg can offer loads of insight as well.

Edited by NCVride

267 hours asking $34k. Is this boat the lower end model?

Amy thoughts on wake surfing capability. Is it still ok for water skiing? Thanks!

Where are you located, what condition is the boat in, and how many factory options are there? Silver Edition? Price is fairly dependent on region. Around here, $34k is a pretty fair asking price for an 07 vRide with average hours and in great condition and with the good options like floating wedge, MLS, tower, etc. How loaded is the boat? That makes a fair amount of difference.

I don't waterski but friends ocassionally ski behind the boat and it's fine for getting out and getting some turns. You can do better, obviously, with a direct drive boat if you're really serious about skiing. The wake is far flatter behind this boat at ski speeds than it is in any of my buddies' vdrives, FWIW.

Surfing: yes you can surf these, but be prepared to put some work in. New prop, more ballast, and you'll want the floating wedge too. Factory ballast won't get you what you need, far from it. As has been said, the beam on the vRide isn't as wide as the wakesetters. Nor is the hull as deep. It just won't displace as much water. So you may feel like you're fighting an uphill battle to get enough height, length, and push from the wave, but it's doable. Just not as easy or consistent as you get with something bigger. If you're intent on doing 100 hours of surfing every summer, I'd go bigger.

As an all around boat, it's great. I have no regrets with ours, and we've owned it for 5 years or so. If you don't have a huge crew, it's comfy. Cramped if you get more than 7 adults for sure. Really nice for towing - it's not too heavy and totes around behind the average truck or SUV with ease. I think my favorite thing about the vRide is the wakeboard wake. For a beginner, it's as mellow and easy of a wake out there. With ballast, you can pump it up pretty darn big. Not G23 big, but I've had nothing but love for the wakeboard wake from everyone. You don't have to go fast to get it clean, which is one of my favorite things about it.

Edited by rennis

Uh, pretty sure you are wrong on that. This site is what made me decide to get an 05 or newer. The words I read were that probably the biggest hull difference between any year models was 04 & 05 and if the price was even close always go with the 05+ I realize you have an 04 which may be driving an emotional response LOL.

• Like 2

I agree. If everyone was an accomplished rider & knew what they were doing, maybe there is a big difference. But riding skills being what they are, it is not.

I have guys who come out with me in my lowly Vride, 2 boarders who can nail tantrums, scarecrows, and backrolls all day long. I can't tell you how many comments they have given me about how great the wake is compared to their Calabria or X-15.

The lake we live on has dozens of nice new $100k surf boats on it. And by far the BEST surfers on the lake with the cleanest waves, have an 03 VLX & an old Prostar 205. Their waves are dialed & super easy for people to surf on for miles. One of the guys I ride with has a 14 LSV & loves to surf it. Everytime that VLX goes by he gets so pissed off about thier wave being nicer & cleaner than his own.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

Uh, pretty sure you are wrong on that. This site is what made me decide to get an 05 or newer. The words I read were that probably the biggest hull difference between any year models was 04 & 05 and if the price was even close always go with the 05+ I realize you have an 04 which may be driving an emotional response LOL.

I'm not sure what your going here. Lots of boats are nicer than my 04 and I'm good with that.

I agree. If everyone was an accomplished rider & knew what they were doing, maybe there is a big difference. But riding skills being what they are, it is not.

I have guys who come out with me in my lowly Vride, 2 boarders who can nail tantrums, scarecrows, and backrolls all day long. I can't tell you how many comments they have given me about how great the wake is compared to their Calabria or X-15.

The lake we live on has dozens of nice new $100k surf boats on it. And by far the BEST surfers on the lake with the cleanest waves, have an 03 VLX & an old Prostar 205. Their waves are dialed & super easy for people to surf on for miles. One of the guys I ride with has a 14 LSV & loves to surf it. Everytime that VLX goes by he gets so pissed off about thier wave being nicer & cleaner than his own.

So true. We have a guy at our lake that can do just about every wakeboarding trick in the book and it's behind a DD.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your going here. Lots of boats are nicer than my 04 and I'm good with that.

I was merely trying to make the point that there is according to everything I read before deciding what year model to purchase a significant difference between the two hull's and wake quality. You seemed to be dismissing the difference that exists which is simply not factual, as there is a difference. The guy who posted this thread may need to know that when deciding on his purchase as after reading everything I researched 05 and up was my cut-off just because of the hull. That's all I am trying to say.

None of this means that those people wouldnt enjoy the much better wake on an 05 wakesetter even more. From a surfing perspective more can be accomplished on the newer hull. Period. No matter your ability. Bigger wave does mean bigger tricks. It even dictates which board you can ride and get away with riding.

• Like 2

If this is true, it just proves wallys buy expensive boats, not that new boats put put inferior waves to the old hull. I mean really this shouldn't even be debatable. The vride can surf, yes. But it is by no means a "surf boat," and you'll never get a great wave out of it without more ballast than many people would be comfortable with. Very few people need or can put to use a huge wakeboard wake, but almost anyone who can surf wants the biggest longest most powerful wave you can make.

That said, if you are looking for a boat that can wakeboard very well, surf OK, and ski in a pinch, the vride is a good choice. It's also easy to tow and easy on gas. The wakeboard wake is great slow, and gets some great size without a massive amount of weight.

• Like 2

Just bought an 08 Vride last September for my family for $32k with a 2012 trailer. It has factory tower, wedge and ballast and was in great shape. We had no problems getting the whole family surfing. I will clarify and say that we are fairly new to surfing and wakeboarding, not advanced. We do plan to add some more ballast this upcoming season.

We get decent fuel consumption, which is important in that my wife likes to cruise around to check out the lake houses and views. I can get 48 to 49 mph top speed depending on the conditions and load (only important to me because I like to go fast). It also fits in my tight garage space. The waterski wake is fairly flat for a vdrive and it does great at pulling tubes etc for my grand daughter.

Boat selection to me is very dependent on ultimate use and budget. For me the Vride works.

• Like 2

I was merely trying to make the point that there is according to everything I read before deciding what year model to purchase a significant difference between the two hull's and wake quality. You seemed to be dismissing the difference that exists which is simply not factual, as there is a difference. The guy who posted this thread may need to know that when deciding on his purchase as after reading everything I researched 05 and up was my cut-off just because of the hull. That's all I am trying to say.

Your right they are different but to say one is significantly better is ludicrous.

If you can't ride behind an older boat then maybe your aren't as good as you think you are. You can only hide horrible skills for so long. I get into this argument with my buddy about his ski verse my ski. He says my ski sucks because he can't ski it. I can ski it just fine and have no issues with it. I also point out to him that possibly the best skier on our lake uses the same ski as me and he doesn't have any issues with it.

Sometimes it's the rider and not the equipment.

Just bought an 08 Vride last September for my family for $32k with a 2012 trailer. It has factory tower, wedge and ballast and was in great shape. We had no problems getting the whole family surfing. I will clarify and say that we are fairly new to surfing and wakeboarding, not advanced. We do plan to add some more ballast this upcoming season.

We get decent fuel consumption, which is important in that my wife likes to cruise around to check out the lake houses and views. I can get 48 to 49 mph top speed depending on the conditions and load (only important to me because I like to go fast). It also fits in my tight garage space. The waterski wake is fairly flat for a vdrive and it does great at pulling tubes etc for my grand daughter.

Boat selection to me is very dependent on ultimate use and budget. For me the Vride works.

Yup those are very good reasons to own that boat.

Your right they are different but to say one is significantly better is ludicrous.

If you can't ride behind an older boat then maybe your aren't as good as you think you are. You can only hide horrible skills for so long. I get into this argument with my buddy about his ski verse my ski. He says my ski sucks because he can't ski it. I can ski it just fine and have no issues with it. I also point out to him that possibly the best skier on our lake uses the same ski as me and he doesn't have any issues with it.

Sounds to me like you need to listen to your buddy and get a new ski.

Your over analyzing this. No matter the ability of the rider, almost anyone will agree that the newer hull makes a better wake. Also something that hasnt been mentioned. The older hull is more sensitive to weight placement then the newer hull. And that is something ANYONE can appreciate.

When it comes to surfing, I could surf my 05 vride just fine. That doesn't mean I didn't like the 09 vride better and prefer that wave.

Your over analyzing this. No matter the ability of the rider, almost anyone will agree that the newer hull makes a better wake. Also something that hasnt been mentioned. The older hull is more sensitive to weight placement then the newer hull. And that is something ANYONE can appreciate.

When it comes to surfing, I could surf my 05 vride just fine. That doesn't mean I didn't like the 09 vride better and prefer that wave.

I totally agree but to tell someone that it is significantly better is just and opinion and opinions are like blanket e blank and everyone has one and they all stink.