Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

Add me to the list of 2011's with screens to replace.  

Bought mine brand new in 2011, mostly kept indoors and work has significantly cut into my water time the last few years.  Mine had minor issues flickering under warranty, but everything worked so I never said anything.  The last two years the air bubbles have gotten worse to the point where the boat will still start and run, but certain functions don't work (individual ballast tank selection on certain tanks).      

Sad to see such a long thread about others with the same issue.  Even worse to see this is clearly an extremely common issue that Malibu is doing nothing about,  except gouging people for replacement. 

• Like 3
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎23 at 9:28 PM, ElHeffe said:

Can get them at dealerships in Wisconsin for $1200-$1500 + shipping for a 2011 VLX. 

I assume the VLX and LSV screens are identical??

On 5/23/2017 at 8:28 PM, ElHeffe said:

Can get them at dealerships in Wisconsin for $1200-$1500 + shipping for a 2011 VLX. 

Can you give contact information of this dealer? Or PM it to me?

• 3 weeks later...

My 2013 LSV 23 with less than 250 hours on it has a screen that is failing as well.  This sounds like it should be a recall or class action type item.  It makes me not want to buy a Malibu again. I'm willing to get on board if anyone knows how to go about it.  In the meantime, ELHEFFE please send me the contact info for the WI dealers. Kaz at Realtor.           Many thanks!

17 hours ago, parkcitykaz said:

My 2013 LSV 23 with less than 250 hours on it has a screen that is failing as well.  This sounds like it should be a recall or class action type item.  It makes me not want to buy a Malibu again. I'm willing to get on board if anyone knows how to go about it.  In the meantime, ELHEFFE please send me the contact info for the WI dealers. Kaz at Realtor.           Many thanks!

^^^ +1. @ElHeffe   I need to do this as well.

He hasn't replied to my request from back in May. Not sure how often he logs on

8 hours ago, jgates237 said:

^^^ +1. @ElHeffe   I need to do this as well.

He hasn't replied to my request from back in May. Not sure how often he logs on

I got the # from ElHeffe for his dealer. Been leaving messages on their voicemail since Tuesday and they have not returned call yet. American Marine in WI. Actually just left another message 10 minutes ago before rechecking this topic.

^^^^ Thanks, dalt1. I'll try and contact them as well. It's definitely peak season so partially understandable their lack of comms.

Is your screen still fully functional? Mine is as of yesterday however it's in rough shape. I'm hoping the repair process that fffrank's friend is looking into starts flowing fairly soon however I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll have to purchase a new screen. 

Drastic times may call for drastic measures. Does any know if our touch screen has a glass cover that actually separates from the black background which I assume hosts the firmware? I haven't taken mine apart just yet so I'm in the dark as to how it's actually constructed.

On 6/15/2017 at 2:32 PM, dalt1 said:

I got the # from ElHeffe for his dealer. Been leaving messages on their voicemail since Tuesday and they have not returned call yet. American Marine in WI. Actually just left another message 10 minutes ago before rechecking this topic.

I ended up ordering mine from Sunny Marine. American Marine proved difficult to do business with. Found they are all being back ordered from Malibu/Medalion. No idea when they will get them. Sunny had 7 in warehouse, should have mine by Next Wed.

My local dealer said they have 4 boats down waiting on these now with no idea when they will get screen, waiting on back orders.

My original screen still works but am not willing to possibly have to sacrifice half a season waiting if it failed. It is steadily getting worse down the sides. I will keep this new one ready to drop in in a minutes notice. If I never need it, it will be an easy sale.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:53 AM, jgates237 said:

Drastic times may call for drastic measures. Does any know if our touch screen has a glass cover that actually separates from the black background which I assume hosts the firmware? I haven't taken mine apart just yet so I'm in the dark as to how it's actually constructed.

Assuming this vid was not an MTC screen repair?

No, it isn't. Just a generic touch screen repair but it supposedly suffered similar effects that the MTC is. Interestingly is also saw that Furuno radar systems also experienced this same sort of problem (screens $5000) but they stepped up and provided a replacement. 

Happen to know what the screen looks like when it's removed from the dash? Is there a plastic backing and if so does the screen separate like the one in the video does? If so this repair, or better yet, sending it to a local touch screen repair shop may be able to fix our issue.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2017 at 7:58 PM, jgates237 said:

No, it isn't. Just a generic touch screen repair but it supposedly suffered similar effects that the MTC is. Interestingly is also saw that Furuno radar systems also experienced this same sort of problem (screens $5000) but they stepped up and provided a replacement. 

Happen to know what the screen looks like when it's removed from the dash? Is there a plastic backing and if so does the screen separate like the one in the video does? If so this repair, or better yet, sending it to a local touch screen repair shop may be able to fix our issue.  

The glass screen is bonded extremely well to the moulded plastic rear housing. Only opening to the housing is the plug recess.

I am the original poster & when I removed my faulty screen I contemplated prying the glass from the housing but realised it would shatter. It was toast anyway, just couldn't be bothered destroying it, trashed it in the end.

At least you have a reasonable dealer network, I had to seek a replacement from the US as AU dealers didn't want to know being a US boat.

• 2 weeks later...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sONKm7R26pbgmtJ73

Have not figured out yet how to get pic to show directly since PB shut us down. Link is to pic of my brand new screen, $1600 of I'm not willing to go weeks because not being able to source one. Bit the bullet and ordered it from Sunny Marine. When mine goes out, I will swap in the new one.

IMG_6432.JPG

Edited by dalt1

dalt1, did Sunny Marine upload the proper firmware version for you? Just wondering how that is handled.

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Fffrank regarding the other repair initiative. If that pans out, and I make it through the summer, I may end up shipping mine out for repair.

8 hours ago, saxton15 said:

@jgates237 What is the proper firmware #?  

Sorry, that I don't know. All I recall is one of the last times I had my boat at the dealer (SmoothWaterMan) he flashed it to the latest update however that was awhile back.

9 hours ago, jgates237 said:

dalt1, did Sunny Marine upload the proper firmware version for you? Just wondering how that is handled.

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Fffrank regarding the other repair initiative. If that pans out, and I make it through the summer, I may end up shipping mine out for repair.

They claim it should work as is. I have not installed yet, plan on keeping till needed. It was shipped directly from Malibu in Loudin TN so I doubt it has had anything done to it. Anyone know if it does need uploaded?

23 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

They claim it should work as is. I have not installed yet, plan on keeping till needed. It was shipped directly from Malibu in Loudin TN so I doubt it has had anything done to it. Anyone know if it does need uploaded?

You won't be able to tell until you hook it up.

Getting my new screen installed Friday along with a remote key start (taking no chances). Dealer says they need to install so they can check the software to make sure all functions are working. Should take less than 30 minutes. I will inquire further about the software.

15 hours ago, windy1 said:

Getting my new screen installed Friday along with a remote key start (taking no chances). Dealer says they need to install so they can check the software to make sure all functions are working. Should take less than 30 minutes. I will inquire further about the software.

windy1, please keep us posted how the install goes. Should be pretty straight forward but would love to know if it requires software/firmware update and whatnot. You would think it's something that the average guy could do but most of us lack the tools to do the sw/fw type of stuff.