Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

Smoothwaterman made an adaptor for 2011 models to allow remote start if your touch screen took a dump. I purchased one from him and kept it in the glove box just incase my screen dumped on me, fortunately I never had a problem.  In 2012 Malibu added the keyed backup.

• 2 months later...

Update on my progress or lack of:

Out of state Malibu dealer sent me a used replacement guaranteed to work. It had a small bit of delamination   at the top left corner, No problem they will send another. #2 is a no show, lost in UPS shipping. Dealer sends #3 screen and it shows up worst than my original or the #1 replacement screen. They said it was perfect when it left their shop. Sent them pics minutes after I opened the box off the hot porch. Now they are out of inventory on these and we are in limbo as what to do? Get my $850 back and ship both back. Or give them the remaining $900 and get them to send me a brand new one. No dealers seem willing to take anything less than full retail for new.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/dalt1/2012 Malibu VLX/60F22112-2489-47FE-B90C-F290F4B17E34_zpsoq2z1zj4.jpg

Edited by dalt1

Does anyone have an old/bad unit?  I believe I have a source that could repair/replace these screens.  I'd be happy to investigate for members here and return your bad unit if it doesn't work out. 

17 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Does anyone have an old/bad unit?  I believe I have a source that could repair/replace these screens.  I'd be happy to investigate for members here and return your bad unit if it doesn't work out. 

All 3 of the screens I have still work, Just have the bubbling/delamination going on the edges. If dealer doesn't want these bad units back, I will send you the worst on.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Decided to send damaged screens back to dealer I bought from. They refuse to send me return authorizations for shipping and want me to pay shipping back to them? Don't think I'm going to do it. What do you think is proper?

4 hours ago, flapjack said:

does anyone have the pinout for the MTC? 

I don't believe the MTC is doing very much.  I think a pannel of small switches or an arduino version could be built for a couple hundred bucks.

Do it!

I just purchased a 2014 24MXZ  with 99 hours that was bought brand new June 2015, my MTC screen has the bubbling around the whole edge as well!  I tried to transfer the Malibu warranty at my local dealer and they said they will only work on boats that have bought at their location!  I called Malibu and they said that they don't own the dealership so they can not make them work on my boat!  So I'm screwed, my screen currently works but it is only a matter of time.  If anyone figures out a solution to repair these or purchase at a cheaper price let me know.  I am going to keep working on Malibu.

On 11/3/2016 at 0:33 PM, ncarilli said:

I just purchased a 2014 24MXZ  with 99 hours that was bought brand new June 2015, my MTC screen has the bubbling around the whole edge as well!  I tried to transfer the Malibu warranty at my local dealer and they said they will only work on boats that have bought at their location!  I called Malibu and they said that they don't own the dealership so they can not make them work on my boat!  So I'm screwed, my screen currently works but it is only a matter of time.  If anyone figures out a solution to repair these or purchase at a cheaper price let me know.  I am going to keep working on Malibu.

So far, only solution is +$1700 for a new screen. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

This situation really sucks and I truly feel you folks that are dealing with it and possibly those may have to deal with it in the future.  

Question about the key backup:  if the pad is not working and you use the key to start the boat, does the rest of the electronics not work since they are controlled through the failed touch pad?

• 4 months later...

I have a 2013 lsv 247 same issue with mtc it will start the wedge and surf gate will work but cant fill the ballast.  none of the other options on screen works. I called 3 different dealers one in Florida, Arkansas and my local dealer for price and now the price is $2,145. for replacement last yr I seen where someone said it was $1,624 so in less then a yr it went up over $500. that's ridiculous so I take it there trying to make up there losses on the earlier yr. units replaced under warranty love my boat but it makes me feel their taking advantage of this issue not respecting us the customer. there's no way this unit costs even half of what there charging.

7 hours ago, vtxgman said:

I have a 2013 lsv 247 same issue with mtc it will start the wedge and surf gate will work but cant fill the ballast.  none of the other options on screen works. I called 3 different dealers one in Florida, Arkansas and my local dealer for price and now the price is $2,145. for replacement last yr I seen where someone said it was $1,624 so in less then a yr it went up over $500. that's ridiculous so I take it there trying to make up there losses on the earlier yr. units replaced under warranty love my boat but it makes me feel their taking advantage of this issue not respecting us the customer. there's no way this unit costs even half of what there charging.

That's disheartening.  I cannot believe they have not addressed the fact that these screens are flawed.  Has any contact with Malibu been successful for anyone?

Malibu might as well go back to Medallion controls lol. Great idea to put touchscreens on a boat. Keep up the good work

Edited by ski40mph
On 4/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, vtxgman said:

I think myself or @Michigan boarder should stop by the HQ with 800 in cash and see what happens. I mean you wouldn't get a receipt but it might be worth it. I 100% guarantee the good folks at medallion would consider a $100 dollar tip to be a decent sum of money for selling one under the table. I would reach out on linkedin even. If you have to resort to screaming it usually works in a small shop like that. If malibu's cost is 800 them Medallions is less than 400, I guarantee it.

I also think an ambulance chaser could put a class action suit together. Malibu isn't stepping up it seems. After eyeing the 22VLX hard this year I don't know if the fancy gadgets are worth it.

If anyone ends up with their bad screen that they can send me -- I'm still able and willing to try and repair it.  My friend runs a sizeable electronics repair business and has said with a broken/bad unit he is reasonably sure he can come up with a fix/repair program.

• Like 2

Fffrank, I have one that worked last year when I put it away but I know is going to fail any time now as it has significant delamination. I'll PM you the details to make this happen.

jhg

14 hours ago, 95echelon said:

I think myself or @Michigan boarder should stop by the HQ with 800 in cash and see what happens. I mean you wouldn't get a receipt but it might be worth it. I 100% guarantee the good folks at medallion would consider a $100 dollar tip to be a decent sum of money for selling one under the table. I would reach out on linkedin even. If you have to resort to screaming it usually works in a small shop like that. If malibu's cost is 800 them Medallions is less than 400, I guarantee it.

I also think an ambulance chaser could put a class action suit together. Malibu isn't stepping up it seems. After eyeing the 22VLX hard this year I don't know if the fancy gadgets are worth it.

OK.  Can we get chili dogs along the way?

On 4/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, vtxgman said:

Guess I should have bought my spare last year. I bought a supposedly good used one from Texas Malibu for $800 but after receiving 2 via UPS, they were both worse than my original so I sent both back. They claim they were both clean screens when they shipped out. Either the vibrations or heat during shipping must have caused the delamination. That's not good considering they are designed for a boat.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 2:37 PM, dcsnowwake said:

so what happens when they run out of these? What are we to do? My marina said they replace these all the time...and with the new ones not these what then? 

What do you mean they replace them with the "new ones" and not "these"?  Are you saying they replace the old screens with new versions and not the OEM?

On 11/3/2016 at 1:33 PM, ncarilli said:

Have you tried your next closest dealer?

Yes actually I did try the next closest dealer and they were more than helpful to get this replaced under warranty, In fact they got quite a few things replace under warranty and treated me great!!!   Its amazing that Malibu lets some of these dealers represent their company.

• 4 weeks later...