Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Comand Screen partially working

had new screen and remote key start installed yesterday and want to give a shoutout to Wilsonwatersports for getting me in and out in about an hour and keeping my boat clean and neat. thanks.

I think my screen would have worked fine by just plugging it in a going but they updated for the latest software to be sure that everything worked. sometimes it does not pick up things like docking lights or underwater lights (mine has nether). The remote key was a bit more complex than I anticipated so I am happy to have Wilson do it all. the tech has slip off tennis shoes so only socks touch your boat. I appreciate that. Testing on the water this afternoon.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, windy1 said:

had new screen and remote key start installed yesterday and want to give a shoutout to Wilsonwatersports for getting me in and out in about an hour and keeping my boat clean and neat. thanks.

I think my screen would have worked fine by just plugging it in a going but they updated for the latest software to be sure that everything worked. sometimes it does not pick up things like docking lights or underwater lights (mine has nether). The remote key was a bit more complex than I anticipated so I am happy to have Wilson do it all. the tech has slip off tennis shoes so only socks touch your boat. I appreciate that. Testing on the water this afternoon.

Great to hear it all went well,  replaced mine last season myself.  Two bolts and the plug, and it had the latest firmware, sure now ask he what firmware release it is..... lol....:Doh:

Hey y'all, I'm in need of a screen asap! Anyone have one that's only like 1/4 dead vs. mostly dead like mine in my 2011 23LSV?? At least until I can order/find a new one?? I have almost gotten stuck on the water a few times. The delamination has gone from a tiny drop on the top right corner to now nearly surrounding the entire screen and giving me trouble starting sometimes. Looks really bad. 

Also, does anyone know what the part number is? Are they all interchangeable between all the years these were out? Please shoot me a PM if you know anything or can offer help. Thanks!

6 hours ago, TexasTexas95 said:

Hey y'all, I'm in need of a screen asap! Anyone have one that's only like 1/4 dead vs. mostly dead like mine in my 2011 23LSV?? At least until I can order/find a new one?? I have almost gotten stuck on the water a few times. The delamination has gone from a tiny drop on the top right corner to now nearly surrounding the entire screen and giving me trouble starting sometimes. Looks really bad. 

Also, does anyone know what the part number is? Are they all interchangeable between all the years these were out? Please shoot me a PM if you know anything or can offer help. Thanks!

Sunny Marine, Clinton, TN seems to be a good source for a new screen. Hope I didn't just sell one out from under me as I'll be needing very soon as well.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:47 PM, dalt1 said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sONKm7R26pbgmtJ73

Have not figured out yet how to get pic to show directly since PB shut us down. Link is to pic of my brand new screen, $1600 of I'm not willing to go weeks because not being able to source one. Bit the bullet and ordered it from Sunny Marine. When mine goes out, I will swap in the new one.

IMG_6432.JPG

Decided it may be a good idea to install this new screen before old dies completely. Mainly to make sure I don't have a $1600 chunk of plastic that I find out too late it was DOA. Afraid if I don't install till next  year and it was bad I would have no recourse in refunding.

So, that being said, When I swap it out, if it is not loaded with correct Firmware, what should I expect to find? Maybe someone who had to replace could put us a how to replace article and make it a sticky? What is needed to load proper info?

I plan on doing this in a couple weeks.

Edited by dalt1

Talked to local dealer who agreed to mail me a jump drive with correct code. Had to determine if I had a MEFI6 or E control electronics, I have E control.  He said to turn off batteries and replace screen, plug in drive behind screen where the port hangs from white wire. Fire batteries and boot up system. It will automatically reboot everything needed. When done turn back off and shut off batteries and remove drive. Guess I'll find out next week. Hope mine holds up through this weekend.

I just replaced my screen a couple weeks ago, the Friday before the 4th actually. Dealer said it should come all set from malibu, and it did, was around 1500 including shipping and tax. Super some swap, like others have said, 4 nuts and a wiring harness, think it took me almost 10 minutes because I kept grabbing the wrong wrenches.

Edited by asnowman
Spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

Put my boat up for sale a few weeks ago and now my screen is malfunctioning.  Might as well just take the big hit and trade it in.   Can't believe Malibu won't step up to the plate with all the known issues.  

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:25 PM, SlinkyB said:

Put my boat up for sale a few weeks ago and now my screen is malfunctioning.  Might as well just take the big hit and trade it in.   Can't believe Malibu won't step up to the plate with all the known issues.  

It supposedly isn't enough of an issue to warrant any recall or fair replacement offer. If they were to take a close look at this site they'd see that this is one of the more common items up for discussion and ranks high with customer dissatisfaction. Granted not their product but it is installed/integrated into their product.

Mine's close to giving up the ghost as well. Trying to see if it can make it through the remainder of this season. If it does, I may seek out a repair if that effort shows to be successful. Getting another VLX?

On 7/20/2017 at 9:53 PM, dalt1 said:

Talked to local dealer who agreed to mail me a jump drive with correct code. Had to determine if I had a MEFI6 or E control electronics, I have E control.  He said to turn off batteries and replace screen, plug in drive behind screen where the port hangs from white wire. Fire batteries and boot up system. It will automatically reboot everything needed. When done turn back off and shut off batteries and remove drive. Guess I'll find out next week. Hope mine holds up through this weekend.

How'd this work, as advertised?

On 7/17/2017 at 8:40 AM, jgates237 said:

Sunny Marine, Clinton, TN seems to be a good source for a new screen. Hope I didn't just sell one out from under me as I'll be needing very soon as well.

Just ordered one from Sunny Marine.  They were $300 cheaper than my local dealer. 

He told me they are dropping Malibu for Tige next season due to QC reasons.   

1 minute ago, SlinkyB said:

Just ordered one from Sunny Marine.  They were $300 cheaper than my local dealer. 

I'd be a tad skeptical about that.  The only Tige dealer around here sells mainly snowmobiles and atvs - not exactly a High demand boat.

11 hours ago, SlinkyB said:

From what I heard Malibu dropped them due to service issues.

Sounds like the dealer trying to save face in the situation.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

From what I heard Malibu dropped them due to service issues.

Sounds like the dealer trying to save face in the situation.

haha yeah... a friend of mine actually bought one of their boats.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:18 PM, dalt1 said:

Decided it may be a good idea to install this new screen before old dies completely. Mainly to make sure I don't have a $1600 chunk of plastic that I find out too late it was DOA. Afraid if I don't install till next  year and it was bad I would have no recourse in refunding.

So, that being said, When I swap it out, if it is not loaded with correct Firmware, what should I expect to find? Maybe someone who had to replace could put us a how to replace article and make it a sticky? What is needed to load proper info?

I plan on doing this in a couple weeks.

I installed it yesterday.

1. Turn off battery switch before removing 2 nuts from bracket in back of dash.

2. Push screen out front of dash, may be stuck to vinyl but will come loose.

3. Unplug wire connector.

4. Pop trim ring off old screen and pop it on new screen.

5. Plug wire connector back in new screen.

6. Plug thumb drive to upload proper version into USB that is dangling behind screen. (Local dealer provided thumb drive to me. Thanks TNT)

7. Turn on battery switch and power up boat, let everything boot up. I got a loss of can signal notice on Malivue and small regular typed mumble jumbo on MTC screen during this process. Gave me a bit of concern, after a minute or two, all screens turned back to normal.

8. Power down and turn batteries back off. Remove thumb drive from USB port.

9. Put screen back in dash and put mount bracket and 2 lock nuts back on.

10. Turn batteries back on and power back up. need to use factory reset start code of 1234 to get to where you can reset your own start code. DONE!!!

This took me longer to type than it will to install it again. I took the new one back out and put my original back in as old is still working but has lots of delamination. I will run it till it gives me trouble. May upgrade boat after season, if it survives that long, I will have a new MTC for sale. I always take new screen with me on trips in case its needed. If it is , it will take about 5 minutes for me to swap it out.

Only hard part of this job is paying $1600 for a screen.

Edited by dalt1
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Only hard part of this job is paying $1600 for a screen.

^^^ Sure does, doesn't it!! especially when we all know this is a Manufacturers Flaw! 

• Like 2

Just wanted to add to this. Looks like this is also a problem on the Tige models as well as they use the same basic screen. There has to be enough for someone to look at a class action here. I can only imagine how big of a problem this will be in 10 years when replacements are no longer available. Wonder if we could get medalion to make a multiplex switch that would do what the current screens do. 

Has anyone installed the backup key kit themselves?  I have a kit coming and plan on doing it myself (I have the instructions from the dealer).  Doesn't appear too difficult. 

On 15/08/2017 at 3:33 AM, saxton15 said:

Has anyone installed the backup key kit themselves?  I have a kit coming and plan on doing it myself (I have the instructions from the dealer).  Doesn't appear too difficult. 

Looked into this when my MTC gave up the ghost & could not start the boat. I started this thread through frustration & have been watching how many other victims have endured the same fate.

As far as having a go at installing the back up kit.

No, I coulnt get over the price of the etched replacement fuse pannel just to add a key switch.

Contemplated etching my own plate, get a key switch & just buy the harness. Malibu stuff down under is grossly over priced & having a US boat, you are on your own.

Looked at the instructions, thats as far as I got. Electrical stuff on these boats scares me since they appear so sensitive to voltage drop etc.

Will be keen to hear how you get on.