Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gator Step Turned out awesome,

Wakesetter67

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's mine, hands down one of the best small purchases for the boat. Matches the platform well enough and makes loading people on/off much safer. Thinking about ordering the gunnel pieces as well as the entire floor this winter.

19809372778_0cb25c80fd_c.jpg

• Like 1

no offense, but those pics show exactly why people are willing to pay for gator step.

That's the pattern he CHOSE to use. Pretty easy DIY if you can cut the stuff straight. I've seen the Seadeck peel and have to be reglued several times. Maybe it doesn't hold up to the heat in this area.

Edited by wakebrdr94

My bow piece is already peeling up. Wondering what I can use to glue it down, if anything?

Brian, did you clean the area with a dewaxer (rubbing alcohol) before application? So far I have not had any issues with peeling.

I just made patterns for my 2008 21' LSV bow step and gunnels. I am going to get an estimate and then if I purchase I can see about adding another order to get the min. I can't pay $300 for what I need.

no offense, but those pics show exactly why people are willing to pay for gator step.

None taken. And none of the availability, fading or adhesion issues either.

BTW, those pics aren't Hydroturf, but just an example of another option if you get creative....and a lot less expensive.

Pretty easy DIY if you can cut the stuff straight.

I've seen one person ever who actually templated the area and then cut the bulk traction in a way that got a nice beveled edge. All of the other implementations are either precut strips or look like they were hand cut with a razor blade. Not that there's anything wrong with that (is what it is), but it's a different product.

Brian, did you clean the area with a dewaxer (rubbing alcohol) before application? So far I have not had any issues with peeling.

Yes. Cleaned thoroughly. All other pieces are holding up well. Just one corner of the bow piece. I caught it with a towel while wiping it down. Wouldn't have thought it would cause it to peel up. Musta not been on there real good to begin with.

If anyone has done their entire floor, can you PM me? I don't really like dealing with drying out the carpet insert, to try to keep the smell away. I'd like to be done with it, but want to talk to a couple of people first. Also, I'm concerned about adhesion to the grain that's already in the fiberglass floor.

• 3 weeks later...

After a season with the gator step, it's holding up great. only thing I would consider changing is to get the smooth finish option vs the rough finish. the rough finish is super soft, which is nice, but it shredded my micro fiber towel when I tried to clean bird crap off it. It's a trade off, because the rough finish doesn't get scuffed up (good thing) and if the swim platform is similar to the smooth finish, it marks up super easy.

Is the smooth finish like the swim platform material?

I spent some time on a 2013 Super Air Nautique this weekend. It has less than 100 hrs & Seadek on the walk thru, rear deck, swimstep, gunnels, etc. There were a number of pieces that had chipped up edges or were peeling up.

This kind of things happens on the Gator Grip & Hydroturf too. But since it's not such a refined look, they don't seem to stand out. The SAN owner has seen my boat & loved it. But when someone asked him about the Seadek he was quick to point out all the places it was beginning to fail.

Hopefully you guys have a better experience with it.