Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fix current trailer or order a new one?

Arick

Would It it be comparable in price to have a body shop repaint my trailer versus buying a new one?

Its a 94 Malibu Echelon and I don't have any pictures of the trailer because the boats in storage. However the trailer is looking a bit weathered and has multiple rust spots(I'd say 5-6 separate locations). One of the bunks over by the wheel well needs to be fixed and one of the lights doesn't work (will have to investigate when it gets warmer).

I know I can grind the rust spots down, seal and repaint. However its not going to match the sun faded trailer and will stick out like a sore thumb. So then I thought having a body shop sandblast the whole thing and repaint it. Which then lead to me thinking about just ordering a new one. Can you see my thought process here??? :whistle:

Or I could just leave it.... Which I really don't want to do.

several years back I refurb'ed my mastercraft trailer. I fixed the fiberglass fenders and painted those myself, also redid the pinstripe and graphics myself. However I spent $425 to have the entire trailer sandblasted and powdercoated gloss black.

You won't regret powdercoating. Good time to make any metal modifications like swing away tongue before pcoating.

several years back I refurb'ed my mastercraft trailer. I fixed the fiberglass fenders and painted those myself, also redid the pinstripe and graphics myself. However I spent $425 to have the entire trailer sandblasted and powdercoated gloss black.

You won't regret powdercoating. Good time to make any metal modifications like swing away tongue before pcoating.

$425 sounds like a steal!

$425 sounds like a steal!

Well before you get too excited know that I prepped the trailer by basically stripping everything off of it (fenders, lights, wiring, nuts, bolts, winch straps, guide poles) before I took it to the powdercoater. All they had to do was wheel it into the booth after sand blasting and remove the tires/wheels. I think a more realistic price would be $600-$800 for anything but a stripped down single axle trailer.

That being said, its still a whole lot more affordable than $5K for a new trailer from boatmate.

It cost me $200 to have my tower re-powdercoated..... after I spent 4 or 5 hrs stripping it. So I imagine 4 or 5 times that to do the trailer would be realistic. It will also depend on what color you do it. Black or common colors are typically less expensive.

• Like 1