Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

2 hours ago, jhartt3 said:

thats a scam. 

Why do people put fake adds on Craigslist?  I just don't get it... I've been actively looking for a pontoon boat to add to the family fleet, and have flagged way to many adds as scams.

The signs are, unrealistic prices, bow numbers photoshopped out, or palm trees in the background of a New England add...

Are they looking to steal my identity if I answer their add, or what?

1 hour ago, DWhynot said:

Why do people put fake adds on Craigslist?  I just don't get it... I've been actively looking for a pontoon boat to add to the family fleet, and have flagged way to many adds as scams.

The signs are, unrealistic prices, bow numbers photoshopped out, or palm trees in the background of a New England add...

Apparently, judging from the stuff that lands in my e-mail inbox every day, suckers are born with some regularity.  Just feel sorry for the people who are too dumb to see a scam for a scam.  These are usually the same people featured on TV news alerts about "the dangers of the internet."

1 hour ago, DWhynot said:

I ran into this a lot during my boat search. I think most of them are just trying to get email addresses. I made an email account that I only used to reply to questionable ads, now it’s flooded with spam emails.

20 hours ago, SayReponse said:

Interesting gel pattern.  That's not a paint pattern that was available in 2002.  Wonder if they stripped this right down to the glass and repainted.  Also missing the bow rails that were standard in 2002.

Edited by UWSkier
6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Interesting gel pattern.  That's not a paint pattern that was available in 2002.  Wonder if they stripped this right down to the glass and repainted.  Also missing the bow rails that were standard in 2002.

"Complete interior and exterior redone in 2015 by Precision Malibu."

Just now, John I. said:

"Complete interior and exterior redone in 2015 by Precision Malibu."

Right.  I saw that too.  But when I think of exterior redone, I think of a bit of cutting compound and maybe some wet sanding.  There are substantial changes on this boat.

7 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Right.  I saw that too.  But when I think of exterior redone, I think of a bit of cutting compound and maybe some wet sanding.  There are substantial changes on this boat.

Looks like they made it look like a 2012 ish. Don't remember when the rails came off the front. Though Malibu did include interior rails instead.

2 hours ago, DWhynot said:

The scams vary.  Sometimes it's an identity thing but most often it is a PayPal or ebay scam where essentially they send you more money than necessary for the item if you are the seller (this is fake by way of fake cashier cheque or fake PayPal/eBay email saying that the money is being held by that company; they don't actually send you money).  Then they have you send a small portion of the money (often only a couple hundred bucks) by way of wiring the money to them.  Usually they ask you to pay for the shipping up front and send the money to a fake shipping company.  Of course the movers never show up and you never hear from them again.  They typically only try to scam on larger more expensive items that are difficult to transport. 

If you are buying their item the most common scam is ultimately still you paying the fake shipping company in advance with your item, of course, never showing up. 

I list a ton of things on craigslist and enjoy trolling the scammers and wasting their time once in a while... I figure the more time they have to waste the less they'll do it. 

I'm always amazed at how people fall for these as they are so blatantly obvious.  I suppose greed is a funny thing sometimes... 

1 hour ago, asnowman said:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/2004-malibu-response-lxi/6663319852.html

Not to far from me, seems in good shape from the pics

Looks kinda ratty.  Can tell the interior is redone due to the wrinkles (they say it was in ad).  Exterior looks pretty oxidized.  Decals above rub rail look pretty degraded.  Moldy carpet under the motor box makes me think there was some significant leaking at some point.

And if you're going to take pics, why not ensure windscreen closes all the way and observer seat base is in place?  I'd skip personally.  That one could use some love.

Edited by UWSkier
7 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Looks kinda ratty.  Can tell the interior is redone due to the wrinkles (they say it was in ad).  Exterior looks pretty oxidized.  Decals above rub rail look pretty degraded.  Moldy carpet under the motor box makes me think there was some significant leaking at some point.

And if you're going to take pics, why not ensure windscreen closes all the way and observer seat base is in place?  I'd skip personally.  That one could use some love.

Yeah, all true. I didn't open the pictures to really look close, but now that i did you are correct.

11 minutes ago, Zac said:

It's not craigslist but is this not insanely cheap for a 2017 m235 (relatively cheap anyhow)?  

I double checked the add and found the hours at 517. Alot of hours but still not bad if hours don't scare you. 

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-malibu-m235-103197491/?refSource=standard listing

That's the Miami wake academy boat. It is definitely maintained and is a saltwater package boat. 

At $15,000 it could be a heck of a buy!  The vinyl may just be dirty and the prop, hull, tower,etc. look fine.  If I was close I'd find out if the tranny problem was just the throttle lever or a cable.

10 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Wow. Proof that low hours isn't always a good thing. Whoever had that must have piles of cash to burn. 

47 minutes ago, footndale said:

Nice 04 LXI for $24k, pretty much the going rate. New rebuilt engine too.

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/d/2004-malibu-response-lxi/6665935350.html

Call me crazy but i like it when someone puts  some hours on a rebuild before I buy it used. Most of the issues surface in the first 20 hours.

• Like 3