Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

On 7/19/2018 at 3:35 PM, TomH said:

Ugh, that's local to me.  I've never seen it, but his location is across the county so most likely boats at Alum Creek, which I typically avoid.  I'll take pics if I ever see that poor thing on the water.

43 minutes ago, Sixball said:

That is not A 99 sunsetter LXI.  maybe a 98?  99 lxi is 20.6' has an extension and large trunk .  

That's a Sunsetter or Sunsetter LX (whatever they called it in 99).  It's 21'.  The SS LXi is actually 21'6".  She's LOOOOONG.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:55 PM, UWSkier said:

Why does this:

00303_k13z2D34HCf_1200x900.jpg

Remind me of this:

latest?cb=20110804142105&format=original

Great deal until the rudders randomly fall out or you ever try to get warranty work done... EPIC fail!

1 hour ago, asp13 said:

Those Epics are so strange, only ever seen the odd one in the wild, the multi speaker setup is interesting.

You don't see a double rudder setup every day either!

Didn’t notice the rudders! What’s the idea behind that?

5 minutes ago, OLDGUY said:

Do they still make Epic boats? I thought they went out of business years ago.

Looks like Epic is still around, however, it looks as if they have transitioned to center console boats.  

Google search  http://epicboats.com/epic-wake-23v/#

Main line.  http://epicboats.com/

22 minutes ago, OLDGUY said:

They used to come with a 4 liter marinized Lexus engine.

They were originally a Toyota off shoot IIRC which makes sense with the toyota/lexus engine

They must have split off at some point. Funny now to see honda outboard on their center consoles.

resize.php?path=%2Fstatic%2Fb4f36faa-ef5

Epic wakeboats (the one's with the transom speakers) were never associated with Toyota boats (for which Epic was the model name) to my knowledge.  The Toyota Epics had the Lexus engines, where-as the Epic brand boats always ran Mercruiser.  Toyota went out of business in the marine industry a long time ago.  Epic is still around with a focus on center consoles, but I believe will still make the 23V as one-offs.  They were known for pretty poor customer service on warranty stuff, and there were a lot of instances of rudders breaking off and associated glass damage to go with it (if it didn't sink you...).

Edited by TomH
  • Like 3

Just a heads up.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-malibu-ski-boat/6611462446.html

Beautiful Response, unfortunately the motor has a cracked block that the owner has repaired with some kind of epoxy.  My buddy purchased this boat in good faith and was told that the water running into the bilge was just from "recent rain".  Well when he got it home it was raining out of the block.  Took it back and fortunately got his money back but the boat is still being advertised and the owner is not being honest.

Beware.

7 hours ago, j2nh said:

Just a heads up.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-malibu-ski-boat/6611462446.html

Beautiful Response, unfortunately the motor has a cracked block that the owner has repaired with some kind of epoxy.  My buddy purchased this boat in good faith and was told that the water running into the bilge was just from "recent rain".  Well when he got it home it was raining out of the block.  Took it back and fortunately got his money back but the boat is still being advertised and the owner is not being honest.

Beware.

That's beyond shady.  Nice your friend got his money back though.  

4 hours ago, powbmps said:

That's beyond shady.  Nice your friend got his money back though.  

He did but the next guy might not.  My buddy drove 4 hours to pick this boat up and trusted this guy to level with him.  As it turned out I was headed back to Milwaukee and took it back for him and picked up the cash.  They guy actually told me this "wasn't a big deal" and epoxy would make the cracked block work just fine.  

I know "buyer beware" but actively trying to deceive someone is crap. The guy doesn't deserve to own a nice Malibu like that.

3 hours ago, j2nh said:

He did but the next guy might not.  My buddy drove 4 hours to pick this boat up and trusted this guy to level with him.  As it turned out I was headed back to Milwaukee and took it back for him and picked up the cash.  They guy actually told me this "wasn't a big deal" and epoxy would make the cracked block work just fine.  

I know "buyer beware" but actively trying to deceive someone is crap. The guy doesn't deserve to own a nice Malibu like that.

I hope lesson learned by your buddy for not getting a third party inspection or doing a water test. 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Silver edition vlx that is very local.  Seems like a decent price. 

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/d/2007-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/6652110277.html

How did we get to a point where an 11 year old boat selling for 4k less than it sold new is a decent price.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

How did we get to a point where an 11 year old boat selling for 4k less than it sold new is a decent price.

How is my 50 year old house worth more than 2x what I paid for it 20 years ago?  Everything keeps getting more expensive.

• Like 2
On 7/22/2018 at 1:26 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Ugh, that's local to me.  I've never seen it, but his location is across the county so most likely boats at Alum Creek, which I typically avoid.  I'll take pics if I ever see that poor thing on the water.

I drove by that hideous thing today on my way home from Cleveland.  I was doing 45MPH (country road), so I couldn't get a great look.  It seems those white brackets at the top of the tower are to hold rubbermaid storage containers.  There were two gray containers at the top of the tower.  So somehow they can actually make it uglier than what is pictured.  Poor boat.

21 hours ago, oldjeep said:

How is my 50 year old house worth more than 2x what I paid for it 20 years ago?  Everything keeps getting more expensive.

You could argue the house is far less of a (typically) depreciating resource. A recession may hit boats much harder than houses.

3 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

You could argue the house is far less of a (typically) depreciating resource. A recession may hit boats much harder than houses.

And when we have one the price of boats will drop ;)  But for now when crazy people are spending 120K for a new one, a 40k used one is a bargain regardless of what it cost new

• Like 2
On 7/25/2018 at 9:42 AM, 95echelon said:

Supply and demand?  Crazy that Sportsters are going for almost the same as they were brand new.