Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

On 8/22/2017 at 11:36 AM, Fabricator909 said:

According to my buddy, the engine blocks are likely the same, however the Mercruiser motors have forged cranks vs cast to handle the constant RPM use. Probably some ring clearance as well for the same reason, though not sure because a marine motor does run cooler. He explained it me like this, a truck motor is not designed to be run at 4000 rpm in first gear all day long, like the Mercruiser motors are. Maybe somebody that has torn both motors apart will chime in on it, I'm curious whether a true "marine" motor is needed, or they changed cam profiles to get the extra HP.

Most mercruiser engines have a cast crank and cast pistons and standard connecting rods. There really is nothing special about the marine version other than the installation of a windage tray in the sump. Cam profile is different. If you get into the higher performance marine engines, they can have forged internals. The hammerhead I have supposedly is the ZZ4 engine with forged crank and hypereutectic pistons. But I know the 260hp 5.7 merc I pulled from my last boat had no great internals to it. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Today I Learned that "Goochland" Virginia exists...

Fishy...

It does in fact exist. I have no reason to believe that ad to be fraudulent 

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/1979-ski-nautique-trailer/6278852128.html

$1000 for a 79 nautique that needs some engine work.  If it wasn't so far away I would scoop it up in a minute for a winter project

Wow, that's a steal!  I just sent this over to my dad.  He's been looking for something similar.  

3 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Wow, that's a steal!  I just sent this over to my dad.  He's been looking for something similar.  

Looks like the repair shop got it on a mechanics lien at that price! 

34 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Copart is the place to go if you really want a project! It can be hit or miss though price wise. ALWAYS see it in person first if you buy there. 

What's up with the paint and the mud? That is definitely "buyer beware" territory.

🤔

52 minutes ago, braindamage said:

What's up with the paint and the mud? That is definitely "buyer beware" territory.

🤔

Well the mud is because it is sitting in a copart lot, which typically means that the insurance company owns it and is selling it off.

Copart buys can be really good or really bad. If you know what you are doing and thoroughly inspect you can really come out good. Always plan for several unknowns also. 

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Well the mud is because it is sitting in a copart lot, which typically means that the insurance company owns it and is selling it off.

"Owner: Progressive"

"Primary damage: Undercarriage"

"GA Salvage bill of sale"

Prop and rudder are under there, but I'd check their condition and look for holes further up. And like @Bozboat said, they are notorious for stringer rot.

3 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Nice!  Colors are real similar to what I have been working on designing as an upgrade possibility.  Do the exile balls fit with 900 or 1100 in the rear lockers?

Screenshot_20170827-102025.png

I just pump them up when we are headed to tie up, it takes 1 min per ball tops

10 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Nice!  Colors are real similar to what I have been working on designing as an upgrade possibility.  Do the exile balls fit with 900 or 1100 in the rear lockers?

Screenshot_20170827-102025.png

Yes they fit fine with the 900's full. I never deflate them. Build looks great, lmk if you wanna save some money! Lol

17 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Yes they fit fine with the 900's full. I never deflate them. Build looks great, lmk if you wanna save some money! Lol

Will do, if mine sells soon it is close enough to my designs that it would definitely be a possibility.