Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Craigslist Finds

Lanman

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Don't know for sure - my friend sold the boat and bought a monster MC for surfing.  They still slalom behind mine.  But I'll stick to a DD.

Given the choice, I will too.  But in one vacation week in 2008 with my family, I skied into 28 off in the course, pulled a 4 man barefoot line, pulled six simultaneous skiers, taught my cousin to go wake to wake on a wakeboard, coached a friend to his first barefoot back deep on the boom, surfed ropeless, spent a bunch of quality time with a boat full of relatives at the sand bar, and did a few late night booze cruises all with that same '01 Sunsetter VLX.  It's not the very best boat for any of those things, but it really is the ultimate watersports family swiss army knife.

The French say "Life is too short to drink bad wine".  The same holds true for slalom wakes in my books.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Correction
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

https://www.buckeyesportscenter.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=3620514&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Not Craig's list - but this is a good deal for more than likely something that still has all five yrs on the warranty.  

They need to learn to take pictures... You can barely see the metallic flake in those. It just looks like the sensor is noisy in the green.

25 minutes ago, footndale said:

That was fast. Just see someone in the area posting a WTB: on craigslist. 

Saw that too.

Sold it to an out-of-towner. That way I don't have to be sad if I see it again.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

oh the humanity!  That poor interior!

Yep its a mess. 

I've been looking for neglected surf boats that I could rehab and turn a profit.  Not to make crazy money, just to have a hobby that pays for itself.  I can do fiberglass/gelcoat and any electrical and mechanical work myself.  I have a buddy that runs an upholstery shop and charges me labor plus materials at cost.

But I can't invest a 20 hour road trip in what may or may not be a basket case.  Judging by the surroundings in the photos, my confidence is not high that this is a "everything works" boat.

• Like 2
Just now, kylesullens said:

Yep its a mess. 

I've been looking for neglected surf boats that I could rehab and turn a profit.  Not to make crazy money, just to have a hobby that pays for itself.  I can do fiberglass/gelcoat and any electrical and mechanical work myself.  I have a buddy that runs an upholstery shop and charges me labor plus materials at cost.

But I can't invest a 20 hour road trip in what may or may not be a basket case.  Judging by the surroundings in the photos, my confidence is not high that this is a "everything works" boat.

And on its best day with a rehabbed interior and cleaned up gel, what's that boat worth... low 20s?  Or invest $4-5K to do speed control and a ballast system (which is going to also require relocating the battery to the observer's compartment) and maybe push high 20s?

On 8/2/2019 at 1:31 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

https://www.buckeyesportscenter.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=3620514&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Not Craig's list - but this is a good deal for more than likely something that still has all five yrs on the warranty.  

I live 2 seconds away if anyone wants me to take a look. I haven't used this dealership, however they are known in the area to be excellent.

Steve B.

16 hours ago, kylesullens said:

Yep its a mess. 

If you're serious, take a look at the auctions on copart.com, there are some interesting Malibu boats that come up every once in a while. Recently there was a 2017 23 LSV in Sacramento that looked like it could have been a very good deal; I didn't have time to go look at it even though I drive past the storage yard at least once a week. The biggest concern/challenge isn't mechanical, but the salvage title that many boats from Copart will have.

14 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Has anyone been behind one of these? Is the uniqueness worth the wave? I’ve never seen one on the water.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2020-Heyday-Wake-Boats-WT-2DC-for-sale-Durham-North-Carolina-99618.aspx

They're a small step above I/O's in my experience. They can surf okay, but man, its real ugly on the water and comically inefficient with cabin space.

I can see why some people may like them though, just like some people think pugs are cute.

• Haha 3

US 12 in Michigan has Michigan’s longest garage sale today and tomorrow. I was driving home from work and saw this 1986 Malibu skier. It was very clean. It says it only has 454 hours if that is accurate. 

31D737DB-9893-4729-9239-B3E9DC71C075.thumb.jpeg.8d4fa0f74f1d25e16035b141f173ea1e.jpeg

E236AE0D-2392-4BCB-B8A0-E0BEA7E0E9F8.thumb.jpeg.6723a437ce5818306da3bfa07bdbead9.jpeg

70FC545C-D488-4B96-BE9D-10959B5B7EE4.thumb.jpeg.1de2f6ec3488a2490bf24cc496ebe72a.jpeg

83912129-03A4-4C20-99BD-0EF0A7739EB8.thumb.jpeg.9a8a4921f058e17aab26bd9ba207dad6.jpeg

A1569F6F-20B1-49EE-AF7E-C36A2606B3CD.thumb.jpeg.de34e7bcede2efc8aec47a16ed1e2bb0.jpeg

B6C4F452-90BB-43DD-A323-72020D2D4B11.thumb.jpeg.fd493a033a03f36c89eaf70a3dc65479.jpeg