Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyo Open Country ATII or....?

40oz

Looking for new tires for my 04 Avalanche. I currently have 285/70/17 BFG KOs, and they have lasted a while and been a good tire. Need to be replaced soon, and looking at the new Toyo ATII. Seem to be a good looking tire, have good reviews and I can have a set delivered to my door for $800. Now for a little more i can have a set of Mastercraft MXT delivered, but they are a mud tire and will not last as long...but for some reason the kid within me says forget practical and get something that looks cool - like a mud terrain.

Another option would be the Kelly Safari TSR but they are closer to $1000 delivered.

Guess my question is what do you think i should do? $800 is a great price and the tire has good reviews. It wont look as cool as the TSR or the MXT but is probably the better option. Anyone running these tires now?

Edited by 40oz

Also check out the Yokahama Geolander AT/-S

They are a great compromise. I have been able to get them cheaper than the Toyo's and they work great and look good. Not too HWY not too M/T.

Currently though I have goodyear Silent Armours. Expensive but a great traction tire on the snow and ice. They aren't wearing quite as well as the Geolanders did though.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/consumer/suvs_and_trucks/

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I had BFG T/A KOs on my Ram before, wasn't a huge fan. Have Goodyear Duratracs on my Tundra and love them. Just put Toyo AT2s on my SUV. They look good, are are reasonably quiet. Only have had them for 3 months so too early to tell about wear etc...

I had BFG T/A KOs on my Ram before, wasn't a huge fan. Have Goodyear Duratracs on my Tundra and love them. Just put Toyo AT2s on my SUV. They look good, are are reasonably quiet. Only have had them for 3 months so too early to tell about wear etc...

Any change in fuel mileage?

Any change in fuel mileage?

Hard to tell, swapped out from factory size to these oversized with a lift. Only had the OEM for two months. Its a Pathfinder and mileage is brutal so not sure if it's worse, but likely a bit. 933C056D-D2F9-4065-91A1-5774126493FA_zps

Edited by dexcopper

I have the ATII's on my truck. Put about 5,000 miles on them and have to say they are a great tire. You are getting a screaming deal at $800.00. Have excellent on and off road grip. Haven't gotten to test them in the snow but they are calling for some this Tuesday so I will let you know.

I had 4 sets of BFG ATs on my last trucks and swore I would never buy anything else. Then I won a set of 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers that I put on my last Superduty. I was sold. They were much quieter and better in ice/snow. The BFGs are great in off road but I thought they really lacked on snow. I now have a set of 35s on my F150 and won't go back. So much cheaper as well.

I have the ATII's on my truck. Put about 5,000 miles on them and have to say they are a great tire. You are getting a screaming deal at $800.00. Have excellent on and off road grip. Haven't gotten to test them in the snow but they are calling for some this Tuesday so I will let you know.

I have had the ATIIs on my Expi for about a year now & they've been an excellent tire in everything that I can throw at them. They offer very good traction in the rain & don't hydroplane, they get very good traction in snow & ice (even without the snowflake rating), & are relatively quiet on the road for a tire with this type of tread. And the bonus is that they look really, really good. I would buy a set again in a heartbeat, especially at that price.

• Like 2

I have 45k on a set of duratrac's on my f250. Love them cause they have great traction and love the look of how aggressive they are. HATE them for how loud they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In looking online for more reviews on both tires (toyo OCAT2 and the Mastercraft MXT) I found a deal on the AT2 shipped to the house for $715....

At this point, dosen't matter how awesome my truck would look with a mudder, that deal on those tires is way too hard to pass up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after all the feedback and tons of research i decided to go with a tire that wasnt even on my original list because the new tread pattern wasnt available in my size...however it was just released March 1 and I got a set.

Before

IMG_1109_zps6hwjr9ec.jpg.

After

IMG_1111_zpsefo9l67n.jpg.

I could have gotten the Toyo for cheaper but I just wasnt crazy about the tire...too plain. I have always been a fan of raised white letter and the new sidewall on the KO2s are awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.