Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX Stereo install (newbie)

Fman

Some more progress today... amps are mounted (not bolted down yet), 250 amp inline fuse installed, ZLD mounted,

ZLD mounted up, I like the angle and visibility from the helm, actually turned out better than I was thinking it would.

20150216_150659_zpsxibvr9bc.jpg

How is this mounted up? What is the bracket screwed into?

Edited by Stevo

Steve, just used sheetmetal screws with bracket directly into the underside of the dash. I did predrill the hole. It's been fine and holding well. The zld is super light... if you wanted to really go big I would use a bolt, backing washer with locking nut. This was my next plan if the screws started to come loose.

Steve, just used sheetmetal screws with bracket directly into the underside of the dash. I did predrill the hole. It's been fine and holding well. The zld is super light... if you wanted to really go big I would use a bolt, backing washer with locking nut. This was my next plan if the screws started to come loose.

Thx, finally got the rca's and electrical wiring set up on the board, now I have to run it into the helm and start tuning

Just a general EQ question , do you find yourself using this unit as your primary volume control, or do you dial in your setting and let the main head unit do the work.

For those with out a head unit, I know it's your primary.

The reason I ask is I could easily mount this flush and out of the way on the right side panel under the helm. But if I will be making several adjustments then under the head unit it goes.

Another reason I do like the eq mounted on left side where I have it is it allows someone sitting in the observer seat to make volume adjustments easily. Along with any mp3 device adjustments/track skips, etc... while in the cradle. When I ride my son usually takes music duty so my wife can focus on the water while driving. Personally I would not want my eq mounted on the right side or by throttle area of the helm. Just my .02...

Edited by Fman
  • Like 3

This post is worthless without a pic, but google changed the URL extension of their photo storage so my links are not allowed here. So I will have to re-size them before I can post , or set-up another service

Anyway... I mounted it on the left side , but on the vertical panel. I'm gonna give it a try dialing in the zones and using the master volume for control . I have a feeling my wife will just start turning nobs when she wants to turn it down.

I mounted my last ZLD on the right side with my thinking being I have a 4 year old and other little ones in the boat and I didn't want them to have easy access to "buttons". When I'm out of small kids in the boat, I can see that logic changing :)

• Like 2

LOL the only people who put the EQ on the right are people who haven't tried it on the left!

Hmmm.... that's funny. I coulda swore my ZLD was on the left two boats ago. But maybe I just imagined that. :whistle:

I've done it both ways, Shawn... I prefer the right.

20130614_164233_zps06b282b3.jpg

Edited by IXFE

My ws420 is on the right, thought about putting it on the left, but I am 100% sure I'd bang the crap out of it with my knee getting in and out. Had it on the right in my lsv and it worked great.

Every EQ I have ever owned has been on the left, never once have I hit my knee and I am 6'1.... why not show off the goods too, you can't see it tucked away on the right! :thumbup:

Edited by Fman

I put mine on the right this time because I have curious 2yr olds that would surely try and play with buttons if they see them. Had it on the left in last boat and I guess it is pure preference. If I had older kids or went out with buddies a lot I would want it on the left so it is easier to access. Both work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every EQ I have ever owned has been on the left, never once have I hit my knee and I am 6'1.... why not show off the goods too, you can't see it tucked away on the right! :thumbup:

That's what I say to my wife when she's picking out a new bikini for the summer...

• Like 2

Every EQ I have ever owned has been on the left, never once have I hit my knee and I am 6'1.... why not show off the goods too, you can't see it tucked away on the right! [emoji106]

See now that's ironic... the main reason I like it on the right is because I think EQ's bolted to bottom of the helm are ugly and take away from the lines of dash. So I like to "hide" it over on the right. Same reason I tried to hide my ballast switches as much as possible.

The other reason I like it on the right is that I'm right handed... it's just that much easier and more natural/instinctive to work that volume knob with my right hand. Of course, if I had an HSE like some of you fellas maybe I wouldn't be working that knob so much. [emoji23]

I used to worry about hitting my knee on it, but after an entire season with the ZLD on the left it never happened. So that's less of a concern now.

Now that you guys mentioned banging your knee if on the left. I can't put it on the the left, I'd be the first to hit my knee. I'll find a way for a cotton ball to injure me if given the right conditions.

See now that's ironic... the main reason I like it on the right is because I think EQ's bolted to bottom of the helm are ugly and take away from the lines of dash. So I like to "hide" it over on the right. Same reason I tried to hide my ballast switches as much as possible.

The other reason I like it on the right is that I'm right handed... it's just that much easier and more natural/instinctive to work that volume knob with my right hand. Of course, if I had an HSE like some of you fellas maybe I wouldn't be working that knob so much. [emoji23]

I used to worry about hitting my knee on it, but after an entire season with the ZLD on the left it never happened. So that's less of a concern now.

I am pretty convinced 99% of people we bring out on the water have no idea what an EQ even is, let alone wet sounds, exile, etc... even my wife could not tell me what stereo system we have in the boat. Lots of different options, they all work in the end.

A little off topic but I forgot to ask.... How are you liking the Johnson pumps compared to PnP from previous boats?

I am pretty convinced 99% of people we bring out on the water have no idea what an EQ even is, let alone wet sounds, exile, etc... even my wife could not tell me what stereo system we have in the boat. Lots of different options, they all work in the end.

A little off topic but I forgot to ask.... How are you liking the Johnson pumps compared to PnP from previous boats?

Love them... I should have made the switch sooner. Can't make me go back!

Same height here, also the 420 has the mic and the wire would always be int he way on the left

Same height here, also the 420 has the mic and the wire would always be int he way on the left

Nah. I'll post up how I mounted mine next time I pull the boat out.