Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX Stereo install (newbie)

Fman

If we only surfed would not be running hlcd speakers, it's too bad you cant have the best of both worlds. I would like to hear the sxtq9's for surfing to hear difference between the two. I don't think the hlcd sounds too bad for surfing either. Probably not near as good as the sxtq9.

And again, I haven't experienced the XM9's but they would be my choice if we wakeboarded same as you. :thumbup:

The JL Audio 880 tower speakers, which will ship soon, should be intriguing.

The JL 880 is the same size as the 8-inch Exile SXTQ9 and the Wetsounds Icon8 surf speakers. And they are non-horn direct-radiating with a dome tweeter like the SXTQ9 and Icon8.

If you have ever heard the JL Audio tower 770s, which uses a different midbass driver than the same size coaming coaxial, then you have got to be impressed with the midbass production. The JL 880 will take that impressive midbass output a step farther and deeper.

The other important aspect of the JL 880 is the larger 1.2" soft dome tweeter. Not only is it larger but it has a much lower resonance than a 1" metal dome and can reach farther down into the midrange. An 8-inch midbass and 1" metal tweeter can barely bridge the midrange together with a bit of a null. The JL Audio 880 1.2" soft dome combination will provide a seamless transition from midbass to treble.

I have been behind a mastercraft with JL tower speakers, 4 of them on the tower, have no idea on what model they are. They sound nice in the cabin but you can't hear them 70' behind the boat. Especially with any wind, they worked good surfing just no projection for long distance.

I'd take my xm9's any day over that MC setup with the JL's. As I said before I don't have a problem surfing to hlcd speakers, they sound fine to me and I'm not willing to sacrifice projection for wakeboarding.

Fman,

First, factory MasterCraft only runs those tower speakers with 75 watts each. They deserve 175 watts each. So your limited exposure in no way is a representation of what those speakers can do, not to mention the many other limitations of any OEM system.

Second, MC OEM uses 7" tower speakers rather than the future and larger 8" speakers. That's a major difference in open air. I was writing about the 880 which you haven't heard.

Third, JL Audio, and I know their culture very well, as a matter of priority is intent on making an SQ speaker and has no interest in building an HLCD for the purpose of 70 feet projection. Compromising on this philosophy is not in their DNA. I was writing about near proximity surf speakers rather than long projection wake speakers.

Wait until they are actually released and until you have heard the specific speaker in a correctly executed system before forming a fixed opinion.

And again, I haven't experienced the XM9's but they would be my choice if we wakeboarded same as you. [emoji106]

Sure you've heard XM9's... I seem to recall you liking the system, if not the wave. [emoji12]
  • Like 2

Fman,

No way I am trying to influence you on your product selection, whether yesterday, today or tomorrow.

I am happy that you are happy with yours.

I was simply responding to Shawn's mention of the new JL Audio product and sharing what I believe, and then I was later responding to your comments about a different JL Audio model than the one raised by Shawn and making a few distinctions.

No worries David, there are many options out there for marine speakers. My purpose of giving my review of the xm9's is just giving anyone reading this who might be in the market another option for a very nice, affordable, high end speaker and complete system that Exile produces.

Tell us how bad you hate Wetsounds guys David. I never heard any hating from you at all on THAT front. Heard plenty about all the rest.

Edited by Bawshogg

Fman - It was a real pleasure meeting you Sactown last week during my retailer visit schedule. I want to tell you, as well as the forum that your first time audio installation is hands down first rate. Often times, the execution of the installation trump all else. I was impressed your system is in correct polarity, sub has no air leaks and is anchored well to the deck. Amps for the most part are properly gained and tuned... many DIY guys miss a few things. You did not. Good job.

As for the review-- glad to hear Exile lived up to your expectations.

I'll be at the Sac boat show this weekend on sunday. Lets have a beer if your around.

-Brian

Edited by Brianinpdx
  • Like 2

Sure you've heard XM9's... I seem to recall you liking the system, if not the wave. [emoji12]

Oh ya! Thats right.....they were awesome. Completely forgot.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I guess I should retract that statement I made about HCLDs eh? So maybe what I met to say was I didn't like the previous generation of HCLDs? Probably more accurate then.

If we only surfed would not be running hlcd speakers, it's too bad you cant have the best of both worlds. I would like to hear the sxtq9's for surfing to hear difference between the two. I don't think the hlcd sounds too bad for surfing either. Probably not near as good as the sxtq9.

Install a ps8 and you'll have the best of both worlds. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After talking it over with bawshogg here is what the final wiring will look like...thanks again bh, appreciate all the help... hopefully anyone in the future not using a head unit and EQ only can take this diagram and use it.

toggleswitchFINAL_zpskvpddrei.jpg

This is really helpful because I am about to start my full Exile install later next week as my new LSV apparently just finish building at the Loudon plant tonight!! My only question would be if I decided that I wanted to wire everything and keep the stock head unit and functionality for now without a toggle would I just splice into the blue/white wire from factory black box for switched power and connect that to the ZLD remote lead (blue wire shown above) and then, giving that I will have 4 amplifiers, connect to a relay and then to each amplifier remote leads? I think this is correct but wanted to confirm.

Also would I further be able connect everything the way I am suggesting but also add a toggle switch and that way if I wanted to use the stereo without having to turn on the main power button on the boat I could still also do that? I realize I would be powering on the ZLD and amps from toggle with no maliview on or main boat power so I assume I would only be able to run the system thru the aux input of the ZLD which will be my Exile Bluetooth module? I would just have no factory integration at that point unless I actually powered on the whole boat including Maliview screen?

Edited by shenard

You wouldn't even have to do that, you are going to have to run the power of the HU and the ZLD once you take out the RF amp. I ran both( I have a 420 instead of a ZLD) to the power distribution block on the amp board. There was no need to splice anything

Where do you tap into you the remote turn on for all your amps, assuming I still want to be able to use the factory sport knob and factory Bluetooth occasionally? I thought you have to use the blue/white wire for the remote turn on signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shenard

There is a wire that comes from your HU, they call it trigger 1 in the RF manual. you connect your remote turn on wire to that. I just ran all of mine back to a wirenut on the back side of the board.