Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX Stereo install (newbie)

Fman

I would probably just cut a new kick panel and start over. You can order the carpet from Bakes, I was told by Bawshogg you can use 1/4" marine plywood for the kick plate or find some starboard. I think that would be pretty tough to match up your new box to the existing hole.

1/4" seems flimsy. I'd use 1/2" or at least 3/8".

I checked out Travis's install yesterday. It looked great. It sounded clean as well. I may just go with Exile this time around to change things up a bit. I'm letting Travis borrow my SMD-DD-1 today so he can use it for setting final gains.

I just have to figure out a way to get 4 wire leds into the Exile XM9's. Since they have the super cool rotating/quick disconnect mounts, I may have to do a small external plug if I wanted to add LED's. I will pick Brian's brain and see what he says. He Seems like a straight shooter. And Exile seems like a quality product after seeing and listening to Travis's install.

I love this forum. Great job Travis!!!!

• Like 3

1/4" seems flimsy. I'd use 1/2" or at least 3/8".

Seems is the key word. When properly executed it's perfect for a TRIM panel. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

1/2 and 3/8ths is WAYYYY overkill for that application. I have done plenty of great executions with 1/4" .

Can't wait to get my Exile order. But I guess I need my new boat first... I'm not gonna reinvent the wheel on this install. I'm gonna just copy FMan. Thanks for the detailed posts!! FMan is a longtime crew contributor always sharing his ideas in great detail and with great pictures. Lots of crew members benefit from posts like these. Thanks again Travis!!

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

• Like 3

"Hope is not a strategy" Sorry, at work those signs are everywhere...

Could a compass type jig be made to hold a dremel cutting tool? Probably would take some trial and error but could work, maybe?

Time will tell :rofl:

Looking forward to seeing everyone's finished products though!

here you go Ahop- Told ya, I am good with a saw. :biggrin:

This was done with a reciprocating saw. Thanks to my kindergarten teacher whom taught me to stay within the lines.

The kick panel is built from 1/2" ply because I wanted the speaker to look more or less flush instead of protruding out. The panel is held in by friction currently. Its held in very well and survived a day of surfing and even some chop without moving. I may not even screw it down.

256D9F56-39EA-41A9-B788-E526D0620412.jpg

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 1

And I hope the rest of you are like this......now that its done I can think of 4 or 5 things I would do differently next time. That doesn't mean that II am going start over :lol: .

• Like 2

And I hope the rest of you are like this......now that its done I can think of 4 or 5 things I would do differently next time. That doesn't mean that II am going start over [emoji38] .

Any pics of the rest of your box? How big? What materials? Ported or sealed?

Thats the best I got. I am lousy at stopping to take pics when I am focused on a project. I am definitely one of those guys that is all in once I am focused. But its got a slotted port out the back.

No doubt she is not as pretty as Shawns. I paid no attention to outside appearance knowing that it would all get covered up with a kickpanel.

I am really happy the way it sounds.

• Like 3

Thats the best I got. I am lousy at stopping to take pics when I am focused on a project.

Totally. Me too! Plus I'm either working in storage (dark) or out in front of the house (blown out) and it's hard to get good pics.

• Like 1

We primarily surf. What I have noticed is that when surfing behind the boat they sound great. When your in the cabin while someone else is surfing, they do not make people uncomfortable. The real test was my wife.....not one complaint. This was very first on my priority list. I have been on boats with big systems before and HATE those HCLD speakers with a passion!

Sorry, just noticed he said that he had xm9s.

SXT9Qs for me....because of the reasons stated above. My experience was with the older wetsounds. The rev 10s are much better and I don't have any experience with the XM9s that Fman installed. I am sure they are better then my previous experience.

I definatly wasnt bashing Fmans choice in speakers. They wakeboard and we pretty much just surf. Besides I don't really have any experience with them.

When sending sound 70' behind a boat there is really no way to get around a loud speaker which has to be HLCD, we all know this... There are a few things we do to help make it more comfortable for people in the cabin. The ZLD/EQ is a must, I turn down the cabin speakers to almost nothing, and just run the sub and tower speakers. I also angle the tower speakers upward 10-15% so they are level when boat is towing a rider and not aiming directly towards the passengers in the back seat. Also turning down the "high" a bit seems to help as well. When surfing obviously we do not run the towers at near full capacity, usually at a very low volume because of the distance the surfer is behind the boat.

Regardless, very pleased with the XM9's, I am so glad I went with two XM30.2 amps and wired them the way I did, its been a nice fit for how we use our boat. The entire setup I am running is perfect for us, Javelin is pushing 800 watts to the sub which gives us plenty of thump and plenty of power for the cabin speakers. I only have three amps which is also what I wanted to keep it simple. My goal was not to be the loudest boat on the water, just have a nice clean sounding system.

• Like 2

Sorry, just noticed he said that he had xm9s.

SXT9Qs for me....because of the reasons stated above. My experience was with the older wetsounds. The rev 10s are much better and I don't have any experience with the XM9s that Fman installed. I am sure they are better then my previous experience.

I definatly wasnt bashing Fmans choice in speakers. They wakeboard and we pretty much just surf. Besides I don't really have any experience with them.

Yeah, those speakers (and the JL's) REALLY intrigue me. I'd be "over" HLCDs too if I didn't have four perfectly good Rev10s sitting in my storage unit.

If we only surfed would not be running hlcd speakers, it's too bad you cant have the best of both worlds. I would like to hear the sxtq9's for surfing to hear difference between the two. I don't think the hlcd sounds too bad for surfing either. Probably not near as good as the sxtq9.

• Like 1

Yeah, those speakers (and the JL's) REALLY intrigue me. I'd be "over" HLCDs too if I didn't have four perfectly good Rev10s sitting in my storage unit.

On Bianchinis boat he has rev 10s. They sound pretty good and not too harsh!