Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lingenfelter Pulley upgrade LSA from 555hp to 630hp

The Hulk

And he has a 550?

Wow. So this week on here I've been told that the 550 is barely better than a 450, it's an oil binger and a dog out of the hole. All by non-550owners lol. If I had only known.

And he has a 550?

Wow. So this week on here I've been told that the 550 is barely better than a 450, it's an oil binger and a dog out of the hole. All by non-550owners lol. If I had only known.

Not trying to bag on you. Was really just trying to help my buddy out in what prop to go with. He does have the 550. The stock prop does not seem to be a good fit in his situation.

Edited by Brian Young

The 16x15 performed awesome.

It dropped RPMs for comparable activities compared to the OEM 15x14 by 200-500 depending on activity.... And acceleration was increased. This RPM drop is huge for gas savings, no high 3500rpms+ rev on takeoff needed, accelerate up to 2800-2900Rpms and stay there. The heavier we went the with weight, the increased spread on RPMs...I assume due to prop slip being greatly reduced. Top speed was about the same, 41, even with with the increased pitch at full 5400rpm, which I'd attribute to the increased diameter becoming drag north of 35mph. Full OEM ballast at 23mph was 3250 vs 3500-3600rpms.

Of note, prop torque to the starboard side much more pronounced... Not a problem as most our folks are goofy. If you are a regular boat, you'll need more weight to port side to overcome this additional bias with that prop's grip on the water.

The OJ prop is a much heavier built prop, 50% + heavier or so. Much thicker gauge.

The 550/555 can handle more, still can hit 41 at 5400rpms in about 6-7 seconds...

Next stop, 16x16.

The 16x15 performed awesome.

It dropped RPMs for comparable activities compared to the OEM 15x14 by 200-500 depending on activity.... And acceleration was increased. This RPM drop is huge for gas savings, no high 3500rpms+ rev on takeoff needed, accelerate up to 2800-2900Rpms and stay there. The heavier we went the with weight, the increased spread on RPMs...I assume due to prop slip being greatly reduced. Top speed was about the same, 41, even with with the increased pitch at full 5400rpm, which I'd attribute to the increased diameter becoming drag north of 35mph. Full OEM ballast at 23mph was 3250 vs 3500-3600rpms.

Of note, prop torque to the starboard side much more pronounced... Not a problem as most our folks are goofy. If you are a regular boat, you'll need more weight to port side to overcome this additional bias with that prop's grip on the water.

The OJ prop is a much heavier built prop, 50% + heavier or so. Much thicker gauge.

The 550/555 can handle more, still can hit 41 at 5400rpms in about 6-7 seconds...

Next stop, 16x16.

Please keep the reviews coming! Is oj coming out with something for the BU as well?

Dark, this would apply to BUs as well... And the 7.4L MCs.

Would apply to any of the 1.48:1 tranny big hp engine boats with enough clearance to hang a 16" prop.

wish i knew what a "SAFE" clearance is, anyone with any insight to this, i hear rough things like 1" or 1.5" or 0.75".......but does anyone have any insight on prop burn or if its real thing since the angle of the shaft is pointing downward?

i have a BU 2013 23 LSV with the 555hp LSA engine, my prop clearance is about 1-1/8", (attached photo looks like 1-1/4") but the tip is probably closer to 1-1/8" to be safe when seen in person.

the only way to get more clearnace is slightly elongate the shaft Not sure if that's possible or worth the hassle...i'll have to look possibly add a few washers/spacers/lock washers to extend out a tad?

otherwise if i could get a somewhat sound answer on clearance i could possibly go bigger diameter? or would i get into danger zone for prop burn?

1.25" clearance to be safe as of now lets call it.

current prop is standard: Acme: 14.5 x 14.25

I'll have 550s in each rear locker + 1000-1100 lbs triangle sac in the bow, depending on freeloaders that come out for the day i may throw a sac or so on surf side down the road. or depending how comfortable the wife is driving add more ballast but probably not too crazy since she'll be the one driving.

let me know your thoughts on the prop!

FYI still waiting on the lingenfelter guy to come out and see if he can upgrade to 630hp just for the hell of it! =), He said its easy to tune if my motor has something for him to connect up to, although i forgot what he called it...

post-28204-0-65068800-1431358212_thumb.j

You can go up to a 15" prop, no problem. The next step up from there is a 16" prop by OJ, which will be way too big.

A lot of people run Acme 15x12 props

2313 - most aggressive

2315 - slightly less aggressive

2419 - slightly slightly less agressive

I think you will find the Acme 2315 to be the most commonly used prop on heavily weighted Malibu and Axis boats.

Edit:

There is also a 15x14.25 option now, the Acme 2247 and Acme 2249

Edited by boardjnky4

Junky, you are in left field brother. We are talking 550/555s, they need a bigger prop, more pitch more diameter. A 2315 on a 550 is a mess, it spins out so fast it only cavitates.

Hulk- FYI, just talked to Eric at OJ, he says you can fit exactly a 15.25" dia on your boat, he's been working closely with Malibu... and he is working on a 15.25" x ~16.5"ish for you guys in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

I can swear I've been in an MXZ24 with a 2315... maybe I'm mistaken.

As far as I know, there isn't any 15.25 prop available right now.

The larger pitch 15x14.25 props should work better if the 15x12 is spinning out. He's running a 14.5x14.25 now, so adding .5" of diameter should be a big improvement. Might not be ideal, but in terms of things that ACTUALLY exist right now, that's probably the best out there.

Edited by boardjnky4

You can go up to a 15" prop, no problem. The next step up from there is a 16" prop by OJ, which will be way too big.

A lot of people run Acme 15x12 props

2313 - most aggressive

2315 - slightly less aggressive

2419 - slightly slightly less agressive

I think you will find the Acme 2315 to be the most commonly used prop on heavily weighted Malibu and Axis boats.

Edit:

There is also a 15x14.25 option now, the Acme 2247 and Acme 2249

You are actually backwards on the aggressiveness. The 2313 is the LEAST aggressive and the 2419 is the MOST aggressive. I think Ryan is saying that a 12" pitch propeller on a LSA is way too steep of a pitch and will only cavitate with that engine. 2315 would be great on a LS3 24MXZ, but not as great on a LSA 24 MXZ.

Junky, man lay off the caffeine.

I said Eric at OJ is considering something for the BUs in the 15.25" dia range. That's the max size he and Malibu would be comfy with as far as clearance. if you read the thread, you'd see he/OJ are making custom props for our applications.

and Nate^^ is right, you don't understand what's going on here. we need a 16x16ish to really get what the 550s can do. if 16"x16" wont fit on a BU....a 15.25x16-17 would be pretty darn close.

that's what we are talking about.

at 15.25" prop would sound great! that would give me 0.75" maybe a hairline more than that but lets say 0.75" to be safe. is that ok for prop burn i'm guessing if they are making a prop at 15.25" that someone has tested such things being that close?

Ryan- i'll call and ask them, i dont need it urgently so a few weeks is ok, just want a spare as we are in shallow lake and if your not familiar some spots in the middle could be dangerous when the lake gets low, so i would plan on keeping my stock as a spare in case and swapping for the new one when we can get it.

2313 = 15"x12" @ .150 cup

2314 = 15"x12" @ .105 cup

2419 = 15"x12" @ .075 cup

my current prop

1235 = 14.5"x14.25" @ .105 cup

so currently i have 1/2" less diameter but more pitch than all the above so going down to a 12" pitch will negate the extra diameter if not make it worse with all the HP of the 555hp. i would spin out and not catch enough water.

now going to a 15x16 or 15.25x16.5 would be a step up in diameter and pitch, not sure how much the cup matters in all our cases but who knows..

i just looked what the largest pitch is currently out in a 15" prop.... best prop currently on market would or might be the Acme 2277 a 15"x15.75" @ .150 cup

OJ's new 15.25" x 16.5" would be even more

Junky, man lay off the caffeine.

I said Eric at OJ is considering something for the BUs in the 15.25" dia range. That's the max size he and Malibu would be comfy with as far as clearance. if you read the thread, you'd see he/OJ are making custom props for our applications.

and Nate^^ is right, you don't understand what's going on here. we need a 16x16ish to really get what the 550s can do. if 16"x16" wont fit on a BU....a 15.25x16-17 would be pretty darn close.

that's what we are talking about.

I understand what you're saying 100% man. Like I said, aside from a custom offering, I've never seen a 15.25" prop. I was simply making a recommendation based on what was readily available on the retail market.

If something fresh and new is coming down the line, that's awesome. Definitely worth waiting a few weeks.

thanks for being a d***, though

Hulk, I'm running a 14.5x12.5 prop on my LS3 powered LSV and can say for certain that I don't have enough diameter on my prop. On hard acceleration, either from stop or even running at lower rpm, I get a lot of cavitation. I am waiting for the group buy to get a 15" diameter prop. I would bet that you could swing that 2277 without a problem. I would also consider the 2249.

Nate: you should increase pitch to compensate for lack of diameter...i would think you better off with the 1235 for less slipping, or the 2249 better yet or not sure with the LS3 if the 2277 is too much or not for the LS3..... looking at the LS3 vs LSA there is a significant low rpm torque gain with the supercharger. (also the other reason i really wanted to do the pulley upgrade as it helps a lot on low rpm torque). from what i read the 12" pitch props were designed to help the under powered boats 350hp/410hp (nearly the same torque wise).... the 450 has a large jump in power over those then the 555 has big jump... i would think with the 450hp you should have more than a 12" pitch but i could be wrong...

1235 = 14.5 x 14.25 @ .105 cup (stock prop with my boat)

2277 = 15x15.75 @ .150 cup

2249 = 15x14.25" @ .105 cup (just 1/2" more diameter so not sure its wortht he price for same prop 1/2" larger diameter only"

the 2277 would be much more aggressive but quite a bit shy of the new OJ 15.25"x (16.5-17") @ x? cup...

i'll wait for Ryan to chime in but based on his knowledge the 2277 is the best i think i could "currently" get with the LSA 555hp with the larger diameter + increased Pitch for less slipping and maximize the LSA a bit more...

also i thought i saw someone come out with a 5-blade wake prop, forget where i saw it, but wonder if that would help at low speeds or not

Edited by The Hulk

guessing the OJ future prop will be best.

would the 2249 with .105 cup be worse than the 2247 with .150 cup....? so the 2247 would be better with the 555hp?

OJ's 14.75x17 how would that compare to the 2247 above with the 555hp, you would probably have higher top end speed but what about low surf speeds with less diameter vs more pitch

Ryan from what your saying we need as much diameter and as much pitch within reason for the 555hp? so obviously the new OJ is worth the wait ...

Haha holy wow 3/4" clearance.

Hulk I think we will meet out match at 16x16. Meaning I won't quite be able to achieve Max RPMs at WOT... At the point you don't achieve ~5400+ When you hammer it in about 5-10seconds... You have too much prop.

I think I will be real close... It'll be worth it. This 16x15 took me from 3100-3200rpms surfing down to 2850. A 16x16 will have me at ~2600rpms.

Ryan, NICE! thats a G23 with stock + how much additional ?

wish i could throw a 16" prop! guess i'll be stuck with a 15.25x16.5-17 whatever OJ comes up with, but given the 23 LSV is smaller boat i should be ok as i wont be able to load up like a G23 can.

wont a 15.25" x 16.5-17 increase my top end and or cruising speed as well, its a tad bigger than the 14.5x14.25 stock prop but the engine should be able to handle it... it would be dragging a bigger prop at WOT but the added pitch would add a tad speed and i wouldnt think at 15.25" diameter to drag much compared to a 14.5 ? a 16" might be obviously

our chain of lakes we often cruise at WOT a few miles to get to a good spot so lots of cruising ....

Edited by The Hulk

Hulk, that's full 2850lbs OEM ballast plus approx 1200ish(~700 in a trunk, and ~500ish in lead, batteries etc).

So yes, as you increase dia(keeping pitch the same) you will likely decrease your top speed as it becomes drag in the water over 30mph in the 15"+ range. I lost 1-2mph going to a 16" dia from 15". But you will gain some of that top speed back with increased 16-17" pitch if you go that route.

The RPM drop and the increased performance are well worth the slower 41mph top speed. 16x16 will likely give me that ^^^ same wave in the 2600rpm? range, and I might get 1-2mph back at top speed to 42-43mph.

yea i'm figuring top speed will be roughly the same with .75" larger diameter but 2+ in the pitch to gain it back.

still fun to hit 50mph here! but again looking at the prop to lower rpms in surfing mode..