Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lingenfelter Pulley upgrade LSA from 555hp to 630hp

The Hulk

Lots of people run 15" props, Malibu sells the 15x12 aka "Torque Prop" as a factory option. There won't be any issue with clearance. You can run prop clearance down to ~1/2" without issues.

I've never heard of anyone running larger than 15x12, but certainly I don't know more than 1 or 2 people that have LSA motors. The one that I am most familiar with is a 24 MXZ and he runs a 15x12 Torque Prop.

thanks for the advise on the prop clearance,

it seems the newer boats are running the ACME 2247 which is a 15" x 14.25" with a .150" cup (larger cup) that would yield a clearance of .875" inches with 15" diameter props.

I just checked wakemakers and they actually recommend that a 2004-2013 wakesetter 23lsv use a ACME 2247 = 15" x 14.25" x .150" cup so is my prop not correct on my boat?

ACME 1235 = 14.5" x 14.25" x .105" cup (MY CURRENT PROP WITH LSA , 2013 Wakesetter 23 LSV)

ACME 1273 = 14.5" x 14.25" x .150" cup (very few people have used does not look as popular)

ACME 2247 = 15" x 14.25" x .150" cup (seems the newer boats are using this now from what i see????)

ACME 2419 = 15" x 12" x .075" Cup

ACME 2315 = 15" x 12" x 0.105" Cup

does anyone have any insight of "cup" vis pitch?

if prop clearance could be 1/2" id be best getting a custom 1" larger custom 15.5" prop giving me about .625" clearance or a custom 15.75" would give about exactly 0.5" clearance not sure if OJ can make custom props or not...

do you think i would notice a big difference between the current 1235 and going to the 2247 ?

According to WakeMakers, the 2419 is MORE aggressive than the 2247.

Honestly, I would go 2419 if I were you. It's the go-to prop.

reference:

http://www.wakemakers.com/malibu-wakeboard-boat-propellers

edit: the 1235 is NOT the wrong prop. It is the factory option "High Elevation" prop. In terms of Malibu options you have the following:

1. Base prop, Acme 537 (usually)

2. High Elevation, Acme 1235

3. Torque Prop, Acme 2315 (pre-2014) or Acme 2419 (2014-2015)

Obviously Wakemakers has different recommendations than what Malibu offers from the factory. I'm not sure which is better, but if you're wanting to maximize your holeshot and run your boat with the absolute most ballast possible, all recommendations point to the Acme 2419 being what you need.

Edited by boardjnky4

aggressive in the fact that its for people higher altitude or heavier boats or "less aggressive" on the engine per say. Just wondering since i have the LSA if there would be a difference or not. as mentioned very few are running the LSA and nyrryan suggested that the LSA is not even being utalized enough unless you throw something in the range of a 16x16 on there.

that being said there is also a 2313 which has .150" cup vs the 2315 with a .105" cup

2419 is the same as the above with lower .075" cup, while the 2247 increase pitch and cup.

i'm assuming the "cup" is how much water is scooped vs slipping off? meaning the higher the cup value the more water your pushing and more strain on the engine? not sure if thats correct?

Everything points to the 2419 or 2247 seeming the LSA is not using its potential i might be able to error with the 2247 all around possibly. normal elevation 2-3K extra ballast is planned in addition to factory.

Aggressive as in "more holeshot torque, slower top speed".

That's the tradeoff with ANY prop.

Here is the deal with Pitch. Higher pitch DOES NOT mean better prop. Think about it like this.

Increase in Pitch = Increase in top speed, decrease in low-end acceleration

Decrease in Pitch = Decrease in top speed, increase in low-end acceleration

That is why the 2419 (12" pitch) is better for heavily weighted boats and the 2247 (14.25) is better for a boat that is not running a lot of weight. Essentially what it ends up equating to is that, when you're NOT pulling a rider and you're cruising around the lake, the prop with a HIGHER pitch is going to be operating at a lower RPM range, given the same speed. So if you find yourself cruising the lake, or making a long run to get to riding spots then the 15x12 might be ill-advised.

Point being in the end, there is no single prop that "uses the potential" of your engine. There are a range of props that simply fit the ride that you're looking for. That is why wakemakers.com lays out the best options in the way they do, because it's impossible to have just one option.

makes sense, we will be doing a LOT of cruising around although not sure how much of it would be WOT where 1-3mph top end will make a difference or not

i'll probably get one and compare this summer "if it ever gets here" and advise the difference with some different weights

thanks for the input/advise!

If you're doing a lot of cruising around with the 15x12 prop, you're going to be sucking down gas, because you're going to be running relatively high rpm's, as compared to other props. The 15x14.25 is probably the best bet, but I'm not sure that you're going to notice a ton of difference between it and the 14.5x14.25 prop you're running.

Edited by boardjnky4

yea i'm trying to decide, mainly to have a "spare" prop just incase as there are some low areas when the levels drop i have dinged a few props in the past near the boat ramp, and the New Bu will be riding another 6-8" lower than the previous boat, hopefully levels dont drop like they did a year ago here and all is good , but having a spare prop never huts, I'll probably go with the 15x14.25 which will be similar but might give me a hair better low end with the weight but again might not be much difference at all or noticeable. would be nice if some of these prop places could do custom props so i could throw a 15.5" on there. I would think with the CNC machines they could whip one-off props out within a day easily, We do a lot of CNC work with our suppliers and i cant imagine it to be that difficult. Let alone be able to whip them out for $100 production cost and sell them at $300-350 not $600. Anyhow maybe a future business to start if there was time.

You absolutely do not want a 15x12 on there on a 555, you'll spin out and cavitate. Too short a step, it's already been done and tested.

If 15" is as tall a dia you can go, I''d tell you to look at a 15x16ish.

I've got an OJ 14.75 x 16.5" ? for a 1 1/8" shaft in my truck now that would fit your boat.

• 1 month later...

Project might have life again. Someone who works there is a friend of a friend said he street tunes with a laptop and it's not that difficult. Hope to meet with him within a week or two.

Do you really need more than 555 hp? How much weight do you plan on running? Seems like that 555 hp would take on anything you could throw at it. Never been in a boat with that much juice but it must be a beast.

Surely don't need it but for 700-800 bucks it sounds awesome. It's a waste for sure since I'm limited on using a big enough prop to make it worth while but just will be cool to put the lingenfelter sticker on the boat! Haha

• 2 months later...

Back from the dead. OJ has a 16x15 .110 cup enroute for a demo !

I know you are in a G23. My buddy just got a G23 w/ the 550. The stock prop isn't doing it, running about 2k over stock. I believe it's a 15x14.75. It will get up, but really slow. Wouldn't a 16x15 be worse?

Whether or not you do a pulley upgrade, be sure to check your oil level frequently. I posted another thread on the topic of LSA oil consumption. Not all that surprising for a high performance motor to consume a lot of oil, happens all the time in european vehicles. I don't have definitive proof that the LSAs are oil bingers, but I've read enough talk about it online that if I had one in my boat, I'd be checking the oil level very frequently.

:beer:

Rennis, will do... But at 170hrs it hasn't used a drop.

Brian, I hear you, but what you report is t consistent with ANY other report anywhere. Is he at 7k elevation?

Stock prop is an 15x14.25. Mine and everyone else's is insane, needs a bigger prop.

Rennis, will do... But at 170hrs it hasn't used a drop.

Brian, I hear you, but what you report is t consistent with ANY other report anywhere. Is he at 7k elevation?

Stock prop is an 15x14.25. Mine and everyone else's is insane, needs a bigger prop.

We are at 525 here in Dallas. Is it just the norm to be slow getting up in the G23 with extra weight?

Brian, I guess it depends on what you consider norm. I will talk specifics.

Well tested.... widely tested.....the 550s can run a near 7000lb boat 0-23 with 2800lbs of ballast in under 8 seconds on a 15x14 prop. Most folks would consider that f'n fast. If your buddy doesn't see that, he has something wrong with his boat at 500ft. That's the bottom line.

With near 5k of ballast, near 12k total weight is it slower? sure I guess. If your buddy adds 2k by putting it in 1100s in the trunk, and no bow weight, terrible prop shaft angle.... It'd choke a 450.

It's distributed through out the boat, If anything, more toward the front. 1000 lbs of stereo equipment, and 1000 lbs of solid ballast through out the boat. We haven't timed it, but it's probably in the 20-30 second area out of the whole to 23. RPM slowly builds, without any prop spin out of the hole.