Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Truck: Want Extras: Spend My $

WakingMeHappy

So I bought a 2013 Ford F150 Platinum today and about all I can say about it so far is.........WOW! This thing is an unbelievable ride. Now, I want to start adding a few things to it. In particular:

Window visors like the ones listed here.

Bug screen like this one.

Secure bed cover. This one is likely out of my price range but it's pretty slick. What I need is something that is secure and water proof.

And of course since the bed will be covered I want bed lighting.

The links I provided are for reference only as I know nothing about these particular companies. I'm looking for suggestions on what you have/like and the best place to buy.

Also, I'm open to what else I "need" to have for my new toy. Surely y'all want to help me spend my money.

After market sound system will spend your money. Starting with the only available integrated head unit at 2500.00. Yes, the decimal is in the right place. Yes, that is the right number of zeros. Yes, that is for the head unit only. The top of the line factory system from Sony is poo. Now what?

After market sound system will spend your money. Starting with the only available integrated head unit at 2500.00. Yes, the decimal is in the right place. Yes, that is the right number of zeros. Yes, that is for the head unit only. The top of the line factory system from Sony is poo. Now what?

Alpine makes an amazing head unit for that truck!!

Sent from my iPhon

Edited by tn_rider

Definitely do your research on the truck bed covers. Some good threads on here if you search. I have the pace Edwards full Metal jacket and it's not waterproof by any means. I like some things about it but won't buy one again. Have had it on this truck for 4.5 years now.

Definitely do your research on the truck bed covers. Some good threads on here if you search. I have the pace Edwards full Metal jacket and it's not waterproof by any means. I like some things about it but won't buy one again. Have had it on this truck for 4.5 years now.

Same here. I have a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit, and won't buy another one. It's okay, but very finicky on the rail adjustments. It pops open sometimes. It also rattles down the highway. Wish I would have gone Retrax.

I did a fiberglass cap instead of a bed cover. More better in my opinion. The rear glass door locks and unlocks with the truck key push buttons. I also added a blow up pillow kind of thing between the cab and cap window so that heat and AC can reach my dog when he in in the back. The cap gives the truck a weighty look like an SUV.

Another Weather Tech vote. Put them in the new MKC the firs time I have used them and fit is :thumbup:. I did the cargo area also. I may take the floor mats out in the summer but up in the salt happy land in the winter they are a must.

If it doesn't have a spray in bed liner and you plan to use it like a truck I would recommend that as well. I happen to have line-x in my truck and rhino liner in my jeep but there are a lot of good ones out there.

• Like 1

x4 WeatherTec. It's hard to wrap your head around dropping $3-400 on f'n mats.... Money well spent.

And pics asap, you should know better than to start this with no pics.

Wow, did they send you 2 sets? The front and back set for my crewcab was $199

Bug shield will add wind noise. Rather have the occasional chip than a piece of plastic rubbing on the paint constantly. Same as a front bra.

Bed covers:

Soft cover Truxedo LoPro. Simple. Lifetime warranty. I've sold thousands with two warranty claims over 10 years. Sold Access for 10 years before that, the LoPro is better overall.

Hard cover Bak Roll-X. Same construction as the Pace Edwards but without all the problems. No canister taking up space, no tracks to keep in adjustment, no clock spring to break, no motor to break like the powered ones, no drain tubes to clean, etc. K.I.S.S.

I do run vent visors. Personal preference on that one but you can only run the tape ons. The in-channels will kick your Auto-up windows back down every time.

Weathertech digital fits like mentioned above. I recommend black to my customers. There is one tan (which is brown) and there is one grey (which is blueish) to cover all brands of vehicle.

Bed protection:

Varies wildly by how you use the truck. I'd have a BedRug because I'd use it like a trunk--no scrap steel or sharp objects, mostly suitcases, snowboards, etc. I'm not a fan of spray ins, but many are. Rubber bed mat is cheapest and a great option. If you don't have the composite tailgate with the step in it use the Penda plastic TG cover in conjunction with the bed mat. It will use the factory mounting holes while the rubber TG cover will have to be drilled in around the outside.

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1

Bug shield will add wind noise. Rather have the occasional chip than a piece of plastic rubbing on the paint constantly. Same as a front bra.

I don't agree with that one. It shouldn't be rubbing on the paint at all. On trucks with aluminum hoods like mine, small rocks really beat on the hood without one. Ugly, sure but worth it on my truck.

I'm one of the few who still likes rubber bed mats. Leave it in for most things, but nice to remove it when you need to slide something that weighs 1000lbs in the bed.

Disagree all you want. I used to install thousands of bug shields since the 90s and the paint will rub off the leading edge of the hood. It can't not touch the hood somewhere. Hoods that have them rust out faster than those that don't. They just do. I realize the Ford hood is aluminum and has been since 1997. I'd still rather keep my paint and touch up a chip or two here and there. And as quiet and thinly sheeted as the new trucks are we've had complaints of both side mirrors shaking and increased wind noise at the top of the windshield, as well as the overhead console vibrating. Benefits vs. drawbacks, as with anything.

I agree on the rubber bed mat. It's a great inexpensive option that many overlook. We also install them over Bedrugs and spray ins for nasty cargo when needed.

Edited by jk13